Re: [pfaf] Re:help with identifying mystery plant

  • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2010
      hi,

      Mucuna pruriens is a different species to Basella alba.

      Mucuna pruriens is in the bean/pea family and the species is covered with very annoying urticating hairs (stinging or seriously itching). Mucuna pruriens v utilis is a non-urticating variety. Mucuna pruriens beans are roasted and milled to make a drink known as Nescafe (since before Nestlé started making instant coffee) or Cocoa. The taste is somewhere between peanuts, chocolate and coffee.

      Mucuna pruriens is said to contain a wide range of fairly serious chemicals, different studies seem to disagree about what they might be. The species has been used medicinally for 1,000s of years.

      I am growing Mucuna pruriens v utilis, and red and green Basella alba.

      http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/alaCarth.asp?searchfor=Mucuna+pruriens

      http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/alaCarth.asp?searchFor=Basella+alba

      Another neat plant, a bit like Basella alba, is Anredera cordifolia (no photo although this is growing in my %@#! garden) this has edible leaves and grows aerial and underground edible tubers, if the tubers are underground they can survive short sharp frosts to -12°C or so. (If you dig them up and keep somewhere cool over winter, you can replant them in the spring.)
      http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/carth.asp?species=Anredera%20cordifolia&sref=66109

      All the best,
      Matt