Introduction

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2004
      Hey, everybody, This is Thomas in beautiful Longview Gardens,
      Raleigh, NC. I just read a great article in Harper's Magazine titled
      The Oil We Eat. This article deals with the energy costs of
      producing, transporting, and processing foods in our current
      agricultural system. The article also goes into the history of
      agriculture just enough to draw some ugly conclusions about modern
      civilization and social structure. Anyways, this article and some
      other materials I've been reading recently (see works by Daniel Quinn
      www.ishmael.org) have led me to conclude that I must produce my own
      food in a truly sustainable way. We have a third of an acre around
      our house that yields pecans and mulberries, but not much else. I'd
      like to turn it into a food-producing haven for wildlife and my
      friends and family. I'm trying to educate myself in permaculture and
      have some knowledge of "sustainable" building techniques. If you know
      of any resources-books, online information networks, or
      permaculture "schools"-please let me know about them. I've already
      checked out Gaia's Garden, our local library system's only book on
      the subject and I plan to audit a permaculture class at NC State
      University. Any help for a novice would be appreciated. We can fix
      this.
      -Thomas
    • Thomas Garran
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 9, 2011
        Dear List Members,

        My name is Thomas Avery Garran. I am an herbalist, have a masters in Chinese Medicine, and all-around plant geek. I studied ethnobotany at the University of Hawai'i and now live in China doing research.

        I joined this group today and was a bit surprised by the conversation about fennel and herbs in general. I don't read Italian so I unable to read the information about the carcinogenic constituent found in fennel (although of course I can find other information in English or Chinese). I don't have the time to do the research at the moment but I was wondering if anyone here has other references to this issue.

        As a practicing herbalist I have given fennel to young children hundreds of times. I have very strong doubts that this is in any way problematic, particularly in the dosages and duration we use in clinical medicine.

        Oh, and btw, Hypericum has never been shown to cause sun sensitivity in humans (to the best of my knowledge). The information came from cattle eating it at quantities a human could never consume, even in an extracted form. That being said, I have heard anecdotal information that VERY fair skinned individuals have notices minor problems when in high altitude sun for extended periods of time, but then again those individuals would have problems without the hypericum, so you decide. I hope I can help to shed a little light on topics around herbal medicine and I look forward to learning from you all here on this list.

        In Good Health,
        Thomas

        Thomas Avery Garran, Herbalist, MTOM
        cell: 13718030427
        Beijing, China
        Sylvan Institute of Botanical Medicine www.sylvanbotanical.com (new site under construction, should be online Apr. 1st)
        Check out my blog: http://sourcepointherbs.blogspot.com

        Formulator for Herban Pharmer
        www.HerbanPharmer.com
      • Bekki Shining Bearheart LMT
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 10, 2011
          Thanks for joining the conversation! I appreciate hearing about your
          personal experience with fennel. It is through the work of professional
          herbalists that we will get the best information about these issues, and
          clear up the misconceptions that often plague the popular literature
          concering this topic.

          Bekki

          Thomas Garran wrote:

          > Dear List Members,
          >
          > My name is Thomas Avery Garran. I am an herbalist, have a masters in
          > Chinese Medicine, and all-around plant geek. I studied ethnobotany at
          > the University of Hawai'i and now live in China doing research.
          >
          > I joined this group today and was a bit surprised by the conversation
          > about fennel and herbs in general. I don't read Italian so I unable to
          > read the information about the carcinogenic constituent found in
          > fennel (although of course I can find other information in English or
          > Chinese). I don't have the time to do the research at the moment but I
          > was wondering if anyone here has other references to this issue.
          >
          > As a practicing herbalist I have given fennel to young children
          > hundreds of times. I have very strong doubts that this is in any way
          > problematic, particularly in the dosages and duration we use in
          > clinical medicine.
          >
          > Oh, and btw, Hypericum has never been shown to cause sun sensitivity
          > in humans (to the best of my knowledge). The information came from
          > cattle eating it at quantities a human could never consume, even in an
          > extracted form. That being said, I have heard anecdotal information
          > that VERY fair skinned individuals have notices minor problems when in
          > high altitude sun for extended periods of time, but then again those
          > individuals would have problems without the hypericum, so you decide.
          > I hope I can help to shed a little light on topics around herbal
          > medicine and I look forward to learning from you all here on this list.
          >
          > In Good Health,
          > Thomas
          >
          > Thomas Avery Garran, Herbalist, MTOM
          > cell: 13718030427
          > Beijing, China
          > Sylvan Institute of Botanical Medicine www.sylvanbotanical.com
          > <http://www.sylvanbotanical.com> (new site under construction, should
          > be online Apr. 1st)
          > Check out my blog: http://sourcepointherbs.blogspot.com
          >
          > Formulator for Herban Pharmer
          > www.HerbanPharmer.com <http://www.HerbanPharmer.com>

        • travelerinthyme
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 11, 2011
            Welcome, Thomas, and thank you for the information. I've been growing most of my own food and meds for 30 years, and love to learn something new, especially when I was wrong! <LOL>

            You will enjoy this group, the people are all intelligent and inquisitive. Really, the best garden group on Yahoo, IMO.

            ~Marcia Cash, Traveler in Thyme
            Blanco, Texas, zone 8-9
          • Sam Schaperow
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 22, 2013
              Wow!  I've looked at the PFAF website so many times for so long, but never delved deeper into it to see that it has a yahoo group.  Anyway, I'm excited to learn fro this group and contribute as well.

              I've done a little foraging starting in the early 80s, but only became more serious about it in the 90s when I took a biology course at UCONN that included a section on foraging plants and mushrooms.  At this stage in my life I'm quite experienced as a forager and a decent gardener, too.  :)

              My media experiences include: http://m.theday.com/article/20120819/BIZ02/308199974/1070/mobile&template=mobile

              I also have a special interest in unlocking the edibility potential of plants & mushrooms otherwise thought "inedible" or "toxic".

              Here are the groups I run/moderate:

              Sam Schaperow, B.S., M.S.
              Foraging.Posterous.com
            • YOKE
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 28, 2013
                Thanks Also only just joined this. PFAF are doing such wonderful work! It may take some time for me to get used to all this way of communicating but I hope to get to contribute in the not too far future.... I also have a Google + side (still needs lots of development in future..., Yoke....see: Yoke's Magic Garden