Re: [pfaf] help with identifying mystery plant

  • mIEKAL aND
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2010
      The stems actually get dark burgundy the older it gets & depending on
      the light. I have a friend growing the identical plant under lights &
      the stems of his plant are almost purple.

      Thanks guys. I've got 2 more mystery plants coming in the next few
      weeks.

      ~mIEKAL

      On Jan 31, 2010, at 6:23 PM, matthew@... wrote:

      > I'll have to take a photo of a green stemmed plant too, this Basella
      > alba rubra photo is being used for the Basella alba picture:
      > http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/carth.asp?species=Basella%20alba&sref=5613
      >
      > Matt

      =!=
      Data Visualization for the Synaptically Inspired
      http://filevillage.info
    • Michael Porter
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
        looks like Malabar Spinach

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
          Hi,

          I know it as Malabar Spinach, also known as Mucuna.

          There are two varieties, one has a red stem. I grew the red-stemmed variety
          last year, though it winter kills in my climate.

          The whole plant is edible, including the root. It's a perennial native to
          India, if I remember correctly.

          The black seeds (Mucuna Seed) are growing in popularity for their positive
          effect on Parkinson's Disease.

          Of course, double check this information, but I'm pretty sure that's what it
          is.

          Laury
          Alberta, Canada
        • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2010
            hi,

            Mucuna pruriens is a different species to Basella alba.

            Mucuna pruriens is in the bean/pea family and the species is covered with very annoying urticating hairs (stinging or seriously itching). Mucuna pruriens v utilis is a non-urticating variety. Mucuna pruriens beans are roasted and milled to make a drink known as Nescafe (since before Nestlé started making instant coffee) or Cocoa. The taste is somewhere between peanuts, chocolate and coffee.

            Mucuna pruriens is said to contain a wide range of fairly serious chemicals, different studies seem to disagree about what they might be. The species has been used medicinally for 1,000s of years.

            I am growing Mucuna pruriens v utilis, and red and green Basella alba.

            http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/alaCarth.asp?searchfor=Mucuna+pruriens

            http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/alaCarth.asp?searchFor=Basella+alba

            Another neat plant, a bit like Basella alba, is Anredera cordifolia (no photo although this is growing in my %@#! garden) this has edible leaves and grows aerial and underground edible tubers, if the tubers are underground they can survive short sharp frosts to -12°C or so. (If you dig them up and keep somewhere cool over winter, you can replant them in the spring.)
            http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/carth.asp?species=Anredera%20cordifolia&sref=66109

            All the best,
            Matt

            I know it as Malabar Spinach, also known as Mucuna.

            There are two varieties, one has a red stem. I grew the red-stemmed variety
            last year, though it winter kills in my climate.

            The whole plant is edible, including the root. It's a perennial native to
            India, if I remember correctly.

            The black seeds (Mucuna Seed) are growing in popularity for their positive
            effect on Parkinson's Disease.

            Of course, double check this information, but I'm pretty sure that's what it
            is.

            Laury
            Alberta, Canada

            Your email settings: