help with identifying mystery plant

  • mIEKAL aND
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2010
    Anyone recognize this plant? Or at least what genus. Forms small
    black succulent seeds. Thanks

    ~mIEKAL
    Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2010
      To me it looks like
      Basella alba

      a really nice green vegetable....

      Geir Flatabø

      2010/1/31 mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@...>
      <*>[Attachment(s) from mIEKAL aND included below]

      Anyone recognize this plant?  Or at least what genus.  Forms small
      black succulent seeds.  Thanks

      ~mIEKAL

      <*>Attachment(s) from mIEKAL aND:

       <*> mystery_plant2.jpg
       <*> mystery_plant1.jpg

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
         pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      =!=
      Data Visualization for the Synaptically Inspired
      http://filevillage.info

    • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
      Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2010
        I'll have to take a photo of a green stemmed plant too, this Basella alba rubra photo is being used for the Basella alba picture:
        http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/carth.asp?species=Basella%20alba&sref=5613

        Matt

        > Anyone recognize this plant? Or at least what genus. Forms small
        > black succulent seeds. Thanks
        >
        > ~mIEKAL

        > =!=
        > Data Visualization for the Synaptically Inspired
        > http://filevillage.info

      • mIEKAL aND
        Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2010
          The stems actually get dark burgundy the older it gets & depending on
          the light. I have a friend growing the identical plant under lights &
          the stems of his plant are almost purple.

          Thanks guys. I've got 2 more mystery plants coming in the next few
          weeks.

          ~mIEKAL

          On Jan 31, 2010, at 6:23 PM, matthew@... wrote:

          > I'll have to take a photo of a green stemmed plant too, this Basella
          > alba rubra photo is being used for the Basella alba picture:
          > http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/carth.asp?species=Basella%20alba&sref=5613
          >
          > Matt

          =!=
          Data Visualization for the Synaptically Inspired
          http://filevillage.info
        • Michael Porter
          Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
            looks like Malabar Spinach

            Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
              Hi,

              I know it as Malabar Spinach, also known as Mucuna.

              There are two varieties, one has a red stem. I grew the red-stemmed variety
              last year, though it winter kills in my climate.

              The whole plant is edible, including the root. It's a perennial native to
              India, if I remember correctly.

              The black seeds (Mucuna Seed) are growing in popularity for their positive
              effect on Parkinson's Disease.

              Of course, double check this information, but I'm pretty sure that's what it
              is.

              Laury
              Alberta, Canada
            • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
              Message 7 of 7 , Feb 4, 2010
                hi,

                Mucuna pruriens is a different species to Basella alba.

                Mucuna pruriens is in the bean/pea family and the species is covered with very annoying urticating hairs (stinging or seriously itching). Mucuna pruriens v utilis is a non-urticating variety. Mucuna pruriens beans are roasted and milled to make a drink known as Nescafe (since before Nestlé started making instant coffee) or Cocoa. The taste is somewhere between peanuts, chocolate and coffee.

                Mucuna pruriens is said to contain a wide range of fairly serious chemicals, different studies seem to disagree about what they might be. The species has been used medicinally for 1,000s of years.

                I am growing Mucuna pruriens v utilis, and red and green Basella alba.

                http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/alaCarth.asp?searchfor=Mucuna+pruriens

                http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/alaCarth.asp?searchFor=Basella+alba

                Another neat plant, a bit like Basella alba, is Anredera cordifolia (no photo although this is growing in my %@#! garden) this has edible leaves and grows aerial and underground edible tubers, if the tubers are underground they can survive short sharp frosts to -12°C or so. (If you dig them up and keep somewhere cool over winter, you can replant them in the spring.)
                http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/carth.asp?species=Anredera%20cordifolia&sref=66109

                All the best,
                Matt