Re: any particular use for Christmas tree branches?

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 22, 2010
      Hi Everyone,

      I have been inoculating christmas trees with edible mushroom mycelium.
      I used Phoenix Fir Oyster mushroom mycelium on softwood dowels.
      Tools required were a drill, 5/16 inch bit and a mallet.

      If you visit www.fungi.com you can see some of the products I've used.
      The dowels are under the name "Plug Spawn."

      In a normal garden setting in Bermuda, I got results at almost exactly
      the same time I inoculated in the previous year (in other words, time
      till fruiting was about 1 year), and I didn't do anything except spray
      water once in a while and cover the logs with some burlap (a.k.a.
      hessian).

      Nice use of a throw-away resource.

      Peace,

      Steve.

      --
      By my own example I hoped to become a living refutation to the cult of
      anointed expertise which has poisoned every aspect of our liberties.

      ~ John Taylor Gatto
      (from "Dumbing Us Down)
    • Johanna Huss Dowd
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 22, 2010
        Proceed with care. Most commercially grown xmas trees here in the us are
        treated with any number of pesticides, herbicides etc.

        J.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 22, 2010
          Great notion Johanna, I forgot those commercial growers as there are
          different size of xmas trees growing naturally all around our pastureland
          biotope, and in the neighbouring forests... Thanks also for you Steve,
          as think I will for now on inoculate trunks (which are not used for
          fire/construction/compost) with Hypholóma capnoídes and grow them
          within the rasp- & blueberrygarden in the boreal.

          O.

          On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 02:04:06PM -0500, Johanna Huss Dowd wrote:
          > Proceed with care. Most commercially grown xmas trees here in the us are
          > treated with any number of pesticides, herbicides etc.
          >
          > J.

        • Matteo Mazzola
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010

            Thanks everybody!

            Actually I was preparing myself to grow different kind of mushroom on oak trunks...
            Could you tell me where I can get the spores of Phoenix Fir Oyster and Hypholóma capnoídes from european companies?
            There are any other commercial available mushroom that I can gorw on Fir Trunks?

            Thanks again to everybody

            Matteo