Re: [pfaf] Re: any particular use for Christmas tree branches?

  • Infowolf1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 20 8:39 AM
      some plants need acid soils.

      In a message dated 1/20/2010 8:38:19 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, ossi@... writes:

      After one summer of composting those chipped christmas trees are
      excellent mulch for raspberries: even wild ones become healthy and
      productive.

      Ossi

      On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:24:29AM -0000, matthew@b-and- t-world-seeds. com wrote:
      > put christmas tree branches through your chipper and use as mulch for Ericaceous plants or on paths

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 22 9:58 AM
        Hi Everyone,

        I have been inoculating christmas trees with edible mushroom mycelium.
        I used Phoenix Fir Oyster mushroom mycelium on softwood dowels.
        Tools required were a drill, 5/16 inch bit and a mallet.

        If you visit www.fungi.com you can see some of the products I've used.
        The dowels are under the name "Plug Spawn."

        In a normal garden setting in Bermuda, I got results at almost exactly
        the same time I inoculated in the previous year (in other words, time
        till fruiting was about 1 year), and I didn't do anything except spray
        water once in a while and cover the logs with some burlap (a.k.a.
        hessian).

        Nice use of a throw-away resource.

        Peace,

        Steve.

        --
        By my own example I hoped to become a living refutation to the cult of
        anointed expertise which has poisoned every aspect of our liberties.

        ~ John Taylor Gatto
        (from "Dumbing Us Down)
      • Johanna Huss Dowd
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 22 11:04 AM
          Proceed with care. Most commercially grown xmas trees here in the us are
          treated with any number of pesticides, herbicides etc.

          J.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 22 2:16 PM
            Great notion Johanna, I forgot those commercial growers as there are
            different size of xmas trees growing naturally all around our pastureland
            biotope, and in the neighbouring forests... Thanks also for you Steve,
            as think I will for now on inoculate trunks (which are not used for
            fire/construction/compost) with Hypholóma capnoídes and grow them
            within the rasp- & blueberrygarden in the boreal.

            O.

            On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 02:04:06PM -0500, Johanna Huss Dowd wrote:
            > Proceed with care. Most commercially grown xmas trees here in the us are
            > treated with any number of pesticides, herbicides etc.
            >
            > J.

          • Matteo Mazzola
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 27 1:59 PM

              Thanks everybody!

              Actually I was preparing myself to grow different kind of mushroom on oak trunks...
              Could you tell me where I can get the spores of Phoenix Fir Oyster and Hypholóma capnoídes from european companies?
              There are any other commercial available mushroom that I can gorw on Fir Trunks?

              Thanks again to everybody

              Matteo