Re: [pfaf] Re: any particular use for Christmas tree branches?

  • Erich Enke
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 18, 2010
      >> I just cut down a big christmas tree (fir) and I was wondering if there is
      >> a good way to use them.. I know that they are not good because they acidify
      >> the soil, so I was thinking to make something like biochar..do you have any
      >> other idea?

      Good wood for dowels.
    • Infowolf1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 20, 2010
        some plants need acid soils.

        In a message dated 1/20/2010 8:38:19 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, ossi@... writes:

        After one summer of composting those chipped christmas trees are
        excellent mulch for raspberries: even wild ones become healthy and
        productive.

        Ossi

        On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:24:29AM -0000, matthew@b-and- t-world-seeds. com wrote:
        > put christmas tree branches through your chipper and use as mulch for Ericaceous plants or on paths

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 22, 2010
          Hi Everyone,

          I have been inoculating christmas trees with edible mushroom mycelium.
          I used Phoenix Fir Oyster mushroom mycelium on softwood dowels.
          Tools required were a drill, 5/16 inch bit and a mallet.

          If you visit www.fungi.com you can see some of the products I've used.
          The dowels are under the name "Plug Spawn."

          In a normal garden setting in Bermuda, I got results at almost exactly
          the same time I inoculated in the previous year (in other words, time
          till fruiting was about 1 year), and I didn't do anything except spray
          water once in a while and cover the logs with some burlap (a.k.a.
          hessian).

          Nice use of a throw-away resource.

          Peace,

          Steve.

          --
          By my own example I hoped to become a living refutation to the cult of
          anointed expertise which has poisoned every aspect of our liberties.

          ~ John Taylor Gatto
          (from "Dumbing Us Down)
        • Johanna Huss Dowd
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 22, 2010
            Proceed with care. Most commercially grown xmas trees here in the us are
            treated with any number of pesticides, herbicides etc.

            J.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 22, 2010
              Great notion Johanna, I forgot those commercial growers as there are
              different size of xmas trees growing naturally all around our pastureland
              biotope, and in the neighbouring forests... Thanks also for you Steve,
              as think I will for now on inoculate trunks (which are not used for
              fire/construction/compost) with Hypholóma capnoídes and grow them
              within the rasp- & blueberrygarden in the boreal.

              O.

              On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 02:04:06PM -0500, Johanna Huss Dowd wrote:
              > Proceed with care. Most commercially grown xmas trees here in the us are
              > treated with any number of pesticides, herbicides etc.
              >
              > J.

            • Matteo Mazzola
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010

                Thanks everybody!

                Actually I was preparing myself to grow different kind of mushroom on oak trunks...
                Could you tell me where I can get the spores of Phoenix Fir Oyster and Hypholóma capnoídes from european companies?
                There are any other commercial available mushroom that I can gorw on Fir Trunks?

                Thanks again to everybody

                Matteo