Re:any particular use for Christmas tree branches?

  • Gaardenier
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 18, 2010

      Very good, rather excellent soil improver for Blueberries.

      vriendelijke groeten,

    • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 18, 2010
        put christmas tree branches through your chipper and use as mulch for Ericaceous plants or on paths

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 18, 2010
          >> I just cut down a big christmas tree (fir) and I was wondering if there is
          >> a good way to use them.. I know that they are not good because they acidify
          >> the soil, so I was thinking to make something like biochar..do you have any
          >> other idea?

          Good wood for dowels.
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 18, 2010
            In Norway there hvae been a traditional use of the  top + the last / highest  branch circle
            to make a "special" kitchen instrument  called TVARE, removing all needles and bark.
            This kitchen instrument have then been used in the making of porridge, for stiring  while cooking.

            Geir Flatabø

            2010/1/18 io.sononicola <iosononicola@...>
            Maybe some muka animal feed?
            http://www.fao.org/docrep/004/X6503E/X6503E11.htm
            ;)

            Nicola
            (si... quel nicola lì...)

            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Matteo Mazzola <silvanelfo@...> wrote:

            > Hi!
            >
            > I just cut down a big christmas tree (fir) and I was wondering if there is a good way to use them.. I know that they are not good because they acidify the soil, so I was thinking to make something like biochar..do you have any other idea?
            >

            > Thanks
            >
            > Matteo

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
               pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Ossi Kakko
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 19, 2010
              After one summer of composting those chipped christmas trees are
              excellent mulch for raspberries: even wild ones become healthy and
              productive.

              Ossi

            • Infowolf1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 20, 2010
                some plants need acid soils.

                On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:24:29AM -0000, matthew@b-and- t-world-seeds. com wrote:
                > put christmas tree branches through your chipper and use as mulch for Ericaceous plants or on paths

              • Steve
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 22, 2010
                  Hi Everyone,

                  I have been inoculating christmas trees with edible mushroom mycelium.
                  I used Phoenix Fir Oyster mushroom mycelium on softwood dowels.
                  Tools required were a drill, 5/16 inch bit and a mallet.

                  If you visit www.fungi.com you can see some of the products I've used.
                  The dowels are under the name "Plug Spawn."

                  In a normal garden setting in Bermuda, I got results at almost exactly
                  the same time I inoculated in the previous year (in other words, time
                  till fruiting was about 1 year), and I didn't do anything except spray
                  water once in a while and cover the logs with some burlap (a.k.a.
                  hessian).

                  Nice use of a throw-away resource.

                  Peace,

                  Steve.

                  --
                  By my own example I hoped to become a living refutation to the cult of
                  anointed expertise which has poisoned every aspect of our liberties.

                  ~ John Taylor Gatto
                  (from "Dumbing Us Down)
                • Johanna Huss Dowd
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 22, 2010
                    Proceed with care. Most commercially grown xmas trees here in the us are
                    treated with any number of pesticides, herbicides etc.

                    J.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 22, 2010
                      Great notion Johanna, I forgot those commercial growers as there are
                      different size of xmas trees growing naturally all around our pastureland
                      biotope, and in the neighbouring forests... Thanks also for you Steve,
                      as think I will for now on inoculate trunks (which are not used for
                      fire/construction/compost) with Hypholóma capnoídes and grow them
                      within the rasp- & blueberrygarden in the boreal.

                      O.

                      On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 02:04:06PM -0500, Johanna Huss Dowd wrote:
                      > Proceed with care. Most commercially grown xmas trees here in the us are
                      > treated with any number of pesticides, herbicides etc.
                      >
                      > J.

                    • Matteo Mazzola
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 27, 2010

                        Thanks everybody!

                        Actually I was preparing myself to grow different kind of mushroom on oak trunks...
                        Could you tell me where I can get the spores of Phoenix Fir Oyster and Hypholóma capnoídes from european companies?
                        There are any other commercial available mushroom that I can gorw on Fir Trunks?

                        Thanks again to everybody

                        Matteo