Biochar from Christmas trees

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 18, 2010
      I think making biochar from Christmas trees is a brilliant idea. If only everyone could put their old trees to such good use!

      See what's on at the movies in your area. Find out now.
    • Warron Van Riet
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 19, 2010
        As posted, a chipper is the best reuse of an old x'mas tree. I use pine chips to mulch my raspberries as they like a soil ph of 6. In addition no more weeding and damaging young canes! On a side note, how many trees would we save if we didn't cut them down and instead bought young rooted trees and then replanted them?

        Warron van Riet
        SPORIA SEEDS
      • Infowolf1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 20, 2010
          Or just cut a brushy branch and used it to make a small Christmas
          tree?

          In a message dated 1/20/2010 8:39:39 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, pinigardens@... writes:

          As posted, a chipper is the best reuse of an old x'mas tree. I use pine chips to mulch my raspberries as they like a soil ph of 6. In addition no more weeding and damaging young canes! On a side note, how many trees would we save if we didn't cut them down and instead bought young rooted trees and then replanted them?

          Warron van Riet
          SPORIA SEEDS

        • Griselda Mussett
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 20, 2010
            The local wildlife park here (Howletts) take old Christmas trees to feed to the elephants.  But you have to be ULTRA careful to remove any dangling ornaments or tiny wire hooks.

            I thought in terms of carbon recycling, it's a good thing to plant trees and then dispose of them, thus requiring more to be planted.

            Sigh.  Nothing's simple.

            griselda

            On 19 Jan 2010, at 13:27, Warron Van Riet wrote:

            As posted, a chipper is the best reuse of an old x'mas tree. I use pine chips to mulch my raspberries as they like a soil ph of 6. In addition no more weeding and damaging young canes! On a side note, how many trees would we save if we didn't cut them down and instead bought young rooted trees and then replanted them?

            Warron van Riet
            SPORIA SEEDS

            The news isn't that fruits and vegetables are good for you ~ it's that they are so good for you they could save your life.
                                   By David Bjerklie, TIME Magazine, October 20, 2003
            Juice PLUS+ Capsules contain 17 fruits, vegetables, oats and grains. The ingredients are applescranberriesdatesorangespapayapeachespineapplesbeetsbroccolicarrotscabbagekaletomatoesparsleygarlicspinachrice bran (no gluten), and oats (no gluten).
            and ~ NEW Juice PLUS+ Vineyard Blend adds BlueberriesCranberries, Concorde Grape, BlackberriesBilberries, Grape Seed, Raspberry, Elderberries, Red Currants, and Black Currants.
            Check it out:
            www.takejuiceplus.co.uk