Re: [pfaf] perennial kale

  • rob scott
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
      Hi Lena,
      Thanks for clarifying. I'm really looking for Brassica
      oleracea var. ramosa -- yes, in particular the
      cultivars 'Thousand Head' and 'Perennial Daubenton' --
      any help on this treasure hunt is welcomed.

      Rob Scott
      Urbana Permaculture Project
      Urbana, IL, USA

      --- Lena Israelsson <lena.israelsson@...> wrote:
      > Hi Rob,
      > Do you mean See kale (Crambe maritima) or
      > Thousand-head Kale (Brassica
      > oleracea var. ramosa)?
      > lena israelsson

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
    • bastianklara
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 3, 2004
        These companies use to sell Thousand-head kale: Abundant life Seed
        foundation, Sutton Seeds, Seeds Blüm, Future foods. You find them
        easily on internet. I don´t know where to find Perennial Daubentin,
        but I would love to know.
        lena
      • Tony
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 3, 2004
          Can someone please remove me. Thanks
          tony.martin11@...
        • Richard Morris
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 3, 2004
            Tony wrote:
            > Can someone please remove me. Thanks
            > tony.martin11@...

            OK, I've now removed you. I've heard that
            Yahoo can be a bit slow at the moment, which might
            explain the delay.

            Rich

            --
            Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
            Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 7, 2006
              Did you ever find a source for the Daubenton kale..I would love to
              know, or to trade a variety of mine if you have it yourself now.

              Adam. (e-mail me when you read this).

              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, rob scott <orb_scott@y...> wrote:

              > Hi Lena,
              > Thanks for clarifying. I'm really looking for Brassica
              > oleracea var. ramosa -- yes, in particular the
              > cultivars 'Thousand Head' and 'Perennial Daubenton' --
              > any help on this treasure hunt is welcomed.
              >
              > Rob Scott
              > Urbana Permaculture Project
              > Urbana, IL, USA
              >
              > --- Lena Israelsson <lena.israelsson@c...> wrote:
              > > Hi Rob,
              > > Do you mean See kale (Crambe maritima) or
              > > Thousand-head Kale (Brassica
              > > oleracea var. ramosa)?
              > > lena israelsson

              > http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

            • nieema
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 7, 2006
                Greetings

                Does anyone know about dinosaur kale and where to get it?

                Thank you

                yours in good health

                nieema

                papaloquelites <papaloquelites@...> wrote:
                Did you ever find a source for the Daubenton kale..I would love to
                know, or to trade a variety of mine if you have it yourself now.

                Adam. (e-mail me when you read this).

                PPD Push the Positive Daily!
                I hope this message finds you and yours in the
                best of Health and Spirit.

                Our Health is Our Responsibility
                http://a-healing-village.com
                Have a look, see some of the new information.

                nieema
              • Pat Meadows
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                  On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 21:18:44 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

                  >Greetings
                  >
                  >Does anyone know about dinosaur kale and where to get it?

                  I *think* this is the one also called 'Lacinato' or 'Tuscan
                  kale', or 'cavalo nero'. It's almost black, large, shaped
                  like a palm tree...

                  You can buy the seeds here (as well as several other
                  places):

                  http://growitalian.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1071413213

                  There's a very useful website (from Cornell University) that
                  lists vegetable varieties and sources for them. Gardeners
                  leave feedback as to whether they like a variety, how it
                  grew for them, etc.

                  You might want to look there also. It's here:

                  http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/

                  Pat
                  -- northern Pennsylvania
                • Pat Meadows
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 08:14:49 -0500, you wrote:

                    >On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 21:18:44 -0800 (PST), you wrote:
                    >
                    >>Greetings
                    >>
                    >>Does anyone know about dinosaur kale and where to get it?
                    >>

                    >I *think* this is the one also called 'Lacinato' or 'Tuscan
                    >kale', or 'cavalo nero'. It's almost black, large, shaped
                    >like a palm tree...

                    Ooops. I just noticed that the subject line is 'Perennial
                    Kale'.

                    The kale I describe above is *not* perennial - anyway, it
                    isn't in my climate (cold winters in the mountains of
                    northern Pennsylvania).

                    Pat
                    -- northern Pennsylvania
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                      While discussing kale
                      anyone knows of kale varieties resistant to club root disease, that is
                      really a mess here in my garden.
                      and where to get seeds.

                      Geir Flatabø

                    • allmendeperma@web.de
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 13, 2006
                        Hmmm, what I know about this desease from a webside that doesn´t exist any more is, that you should keep the pH between 6,5 and 7 on sandy soils and don`t plant cale on the same place for 3-5 years. If you`ve once got the desease, you`re not to plant cruciferous plants on the place for at least 8 years.
                        So this desease could be a problem with perennial cales, couldn`t it?
                        Greetings from Klaus

                        pfaf@yahoogroups.com schrieb am 10.01.06 20:42:03:

                        While discussing kale
                        anyone knows of kale varieties resistant to club root disease, that is
                        really a mess here in my garden.
                        and where to get seeds.

                        Geir Flatabø

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        --
                        Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
                        Artilleriestr. 6
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 13, 2006
                          There is a new clubroot resistent cabbage on the market this year - Kilaxy.
                          Available from Suttons Seeds and said to be strongly resistent.

                          Stephen
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 15, 2006
                            The disease does not seem to affect the perannials,
                            and not the fastest growing annuals (radishes)..
                            and it is possible to grow the athers, but it is obviously retarding
                            growth, and diminish crop.

                            Geir Flatabø

                            allmendeperma@... skrev:

                            >Hmmm, what I know about this desease from a webside that doesn´t exist any more is, that you should keep the pH between 6,5 and 7 on sandy soils and don`t plant cale on the same place for 3-5 years. If you`ve once got the desease, you`re not to plant cruciferous plants on the place for at least 8 years.
                            >So this desease could be a problem with perennial cales, couldn`t it?
                            >Greetings from Klaus
                            >
                            >pfaf@yahoogroups.com schrieb am 10.01.06 20:42:03:
                            >

                            >While discussing kale
                            >anyone knows of kale varieties resistant to club root disease, that is
                            >really a mess here in my garden.
                            >and where to get seeds.
                            >
                            >Geir Flatabø
                            >

                            >Yahoo! Groups Links
                            >

                            >--
                            >Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
                            >Artilleriestr. 6
                            >27283 Verden
                            >Tel 04231- 90 50 30
                            >Mobil 0171-1565620
                            >Fax 01212- 510857480
                            >Wir bieten Praktika und freiwilliges ökologisches Jahr.

                          • alison_tindale
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 27, 2007
                              Anyone know where I can get plants or cuttings of perennial kale var.
                              Daubenton? I can't find this anywhere!
                            • telsingandrews
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 9, 2008
                                --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "bastianklara" <lena.israelsson@...> wrote:

                                > These companies use to sell Thousand-head kale: Abundant life Seed
                                > foundation, Sutton Seeds, Seeds Blüm, Future foods. You find them
                                > easily on internet. I don´t know where to find Perennial Daubentin,
                                > but I would love to know.
                                > lena

                                I have found them in a french seed site: http://www.plantes-et-
                                jardins.com listed as Chou Daubenton and Chou Daubenton panaché
                                under 'old vegetables' legumes ancienes (sp?).

                                If anyone knows of another supplier, especially one in North America
                                that would be great. Does anyone know the hardiness of this variety?
                              • telsingandrews
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 10, 2008
                                  Just to clarify, I do believe the supplier told me that they reproduce
                                  them by cuttings (Daubenton) but if anyone knows otherwise, I'm all
                                  ears.

                                  Telsing

                                  --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "telsingandrews" <telsing_andrews@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "bastianklara" <lena.israelsson@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > These companies use to sell Thousand-head kale: Abundant life Seed
                                  > > foundation, Sutton Seeds, Seeds Blüm, Future foods. You find them
                                  > > easily on internet. I don´t know where to find Perennial Daubentin,
                                  > > but I would love to know.
                                  > > lena
                                  > >

                                  > I have found them in a french seed site: http://www.plantes-et-
                                  > jardins.com listed as Chou Daubenton and Chou Daubenton panaché
                                  > under 'old vegetables' legumes ancienes (sp?).
                                  >
                                  > If anyone knows of another supplier, especially one in North America
                                  > that would be great. Does anyone know the hardiness of this variety?

                                • SE MA Coast, Zone 7
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 14, 2008
                                    If you are speaking of
                                    Perennial Kale (Brassica oleracea)
                                    Fedco seeds has it listed as Sea Kale.
                                    http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsItem.php?id=3099&SeedName=Sea%20Kale

                                    Good Luck,
                                    Robin
                                  • howigetby
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 15, 2008
                                      Are they referring to the giant walking stick kale? I'm looking for a
                                      source for those and also would give my eye teeth for some tree collards!

                                      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "SE MA Coast, Zone 7" <Robin282mt@...> wrote:

                                      > If you are speaking of
                                      > Perennial Kale (Brassica oleracea)
                                      > Fedco seeds has it listed as Sea Kale.

                                      http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsItem.php?id=3099&SeedName=Sea%20Kale

                                      > Good Luck,
                                      > Robin

                                    • telsingandrews
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 17, 2008
                                        Sea Kale is a different plant then what I'm looking for but as for
                                        Walking Stick Kale, you can get that at Thompson and Morgan but this
                                        may not be the same as tree collards. I wrote a blog post about
                                        perennail brassicas which I'm trying to educate myself on:
                                        http://veggiepatchreimagined.blogspot.com/2008/11/brassica-names-
                                        perennial-biennial-oh.html

                                        Anyone? Cuttings of Daubenton kale?? Sourcing plants - sigh.

                                        Telsing.

                                        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "howigetby" <howigetby@...> wrote:

                                        > Are they referring to the giant walking stick kale? I'm looking for
                                        > source for those and also would give my eye teeth for some tree
                                        collards!

                                        > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "SE MA Coast, Zone 7" <Robin282mt@>
                                        wrote:

                                        > > If you are speaking of
                                        > > Perennial Kale (Brassica oleracea)
                                        > > Fedco seeds has it listed as Sea Kale.
                                        > >
                                        > http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsItem.php?id=3099&SeedName=Sea%
                                        20Kale

                                        > > Good Luck,
                                        > > Robin

                                      • Staci
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 17, 2008
                                          i have a perrenial kale plant where are you? I've been giving cuttings
                                          to my friends with success. I think it is a lundy cabbage i call it the
                                          cabbage bush, maybe i could post some to you? a friend of mine has
                                          walking stick kale i'll ask him about seeds.

                                          staci south wales
                                        • Lorian Garrett
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 17, 2008
                                            Hi Staci,

                                            I am located in Tacoma, WA, USA - if you can send seeds, that would be
                                            great! Please let me know how much you need for postage. Zip is 98444 in
                                            case that is required for determining postage costs.

                                            Thank you so much!!!

                                            Lori

                                            On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Staci <hippiesontour@...> wrote:

                                            > i have a perrenial kale plant where are you? I've been giving cuttings
                                            > to my friends with success. I think it is a lundy cabbage i call it the
                                            > cabbage bush, maybe i could post some to you? a friend of mine has
                                            > walking stick kale i'll ask him about seeds.
                                            >
                                            > staci south wales

                                          • telsingandrews
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Nov 17, 2008
                                              You can get walking stick kale at Thompson and Morgan.

                                              Good luck!

                                              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "howigetby" <howigetby@...> wrote:

                                              > Are they referring to the giant walking stick kale? I'm looking for
                                              > source for those and also would give my eye teeth for some tree
                                              collards!

                                              > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "SE MA Coast, Zone 7" <Robin282mt@>
                                              wrote:

                                              > > If you are speaking of
                                              > > Perennial Kale (Brassica oleracea)
                                              > > Fedco seeds has it listed as Sea Kale.
                                              > >
                                              > http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsItem.php?id=3099&SeedName=Sea%
                                              20Kale

                                              > > Good Luck,
                                              > > Robin

                                            • Staci
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Nov 20, 2008
                                                I don't have seeds for my kale but i'll ask my friend phil who had some
                                                walking stick kale last year