SV: [pfaf] perennial kale

  • Lena Israelsson
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
      Hi Rob,
      Do you mean See kale (Crambe maritima) or Thousand-head Kale (Brassica oleracea var. ramosa)?
      lena israelsson

      [Lena Israelsson]
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 2, 2004
        Hi Lena,
        Thanks for clarifying. I'm really looking for Brassica
        oleracea var. ramosa -- yes, in particular the
        cultivars 'Thousand Head' and 'Perennial Daubenton' --
        any help on this treasure hunt is welcomed.

        Rob Scott
        Urbana Permaculture Project
        Urbana, IL, USA

        --- Lena Israelsson <lena.israelsson@...> wrote:
        > Hi Rob,
        > Do you mean See kale (Crambe maritima) or
        > Thousand-head Kale (Brassica
        > oleracea var. ramosa)?
        > lena israelsson

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
      • bastianklara
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 3, 2004
          These companies use to sell Thousand-head kale: Abundant life Seed
          foundation, Sutton Seeds, Seeds Blüm, Future foods. You find them
          easily on internet. I don´t know where to find Perennial Daubentin,
          but I would love to know.
          lena
        • Tony
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 3, 2004
            Can someone please remove me. Thanks
            tony.martin11@...
          • Richard Morris
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 3, 2004
              Tony wrote:
              > Can someone please remove me. Thanks
              > tony.martin11@...

              OK, I've now removed you. I've heard that
              Yahoo can be a bit slow at the moment, which might
              explain the delay.

              Rich

              --
              Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
              Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 7, 2006
                Did you ever find a source for the Daubenton kale..I would love to
                know, or to trade a variety of mine if you have it yourself now.

                Adam. (e-mail me when you read this).

                --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, rob scott <orb_scott@y...> wrote:

                > Hi Lena,
                > Thanks for clarifying. I'm really looking for Brassica
                > oleracea var. ramosa -- yes, in particular the
                > cultivars 'Thousand Head' and 'Perennial Daubenton' --
                > any help on this treasure hunt is welcomed.
                >
                > Rob Scott
                > Urbana Permaculture Project
                > Urbana, IL, USA
                >
                > --- Lena Israelsson <lena.israelsson@c...> wrote:
                > > Hi Rob,
                > > Do you mean See kale (Crambe maritima) or
                > > Thousand-head Kale (Brassica
                > > oleracea var. ramosa)?
                > > lena israelsson

                > http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

              • nieema
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 7, 2006
                  Greetings

                  Does anyone know about dinosaur kale and where to get it?

                  Thank you

                  yours in good health

                  nieema

                  papaloquelites <papaloquelites@...> wrote:
                  Did you ever find a source for the Daubenton kale..I would love to
                  know, or to trade a variety of mine if you have it yourself now.

                  Adam. (e-mail me when you read this).

                  PPD Push the Positive Daily!
                  I hope this message finds you and yours in the
                  best of Health and Spirit.

                  Our Health is Our Responsibility
                  http://a-healing-village.com
                  Have a look, see some of the new information.

                  nieema
                • Pat Meadows
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                    On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 21:18:44 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

                    >Greetings
                    >
                    >Does anyone know about dinosaur kale and where to get it?

                    I *think* this is the one also called 'Lacinato' or 'Tuscan
                    kale', or 'cavalo nero'. It's almost black, large, shaped
                    like a palm tree...

                    You can buy the seeds here (as well as several other
                    places):

                    http://growitalian.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1071413213

                    There's a very useful website (from Cornell University) that
                    lists vegetable varieties and sources for them. Gardeners
                    leave feedback as to whether they like a variety, how it
                    grew for them, etc.

                    You might want to look there also. It's here:

                    http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/

                    Pat
                    -- northern Pennsylvania
                  • Pat Meadows
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                      On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 08:14:49 -0500, you wrote:

                      >On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 21:18:44 -0800 (PST), you wrote:
                      >
                      >>Greetings
                      >>
                      >>Does anyone know about dinosaur kale and where to get it?
                      >>

                      >I *think* this is the one also called 'Lacinato' or 'Tuscan
                      >kale', or 'cavalo nero'. It's almost black, large, shaped
                      >like a palm tree...

                      Ooops. I just noticed that the subject line is 'Perennial
                      Kale'.

                      The kale I describe above is *not* perennial - anyway, it
                      isn't in my climate (cold winters in the mountains of
                      northern Pennsylvania).

                      Pat
                      -- northern Pennsylvania
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                        While discussing kale
                        anyone knows of kale varieties resistant to club root disease, that is
                        really a mess here in my garden.
                        and where to get seeds.

                        Geir Flatabø

                      • allmendeperma@web.de
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 13, 2006
                          Hmmm, what I know about this desease from a webside that doesn´t exist any more is, that you should keep the pH between 6,5 and 7 on sandy soils and don`t plant cale on the same place for 3-5 years. If you`ve once got the desease, you`re not to plant cruciferous plants on the place for at least 8 years.
                          So this desease could be a problem with perennial cales, couldn`t it?
                          Greetings from Klaus

                          pfaf@yahoogroups.com schrieb am 10.01.06 20:42:03:

                          While discussing kale
                          anyone knows of kale varieties resistant to club root disease, that is
                          really a mess here in my garden.
                          and where to get seeds.

                          Geir Flatabø

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          --
                          Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
                          Artilleriestr. 6
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 13, 2006
                            There is a new clubroot resistent cabbage on the market this year - Kilaxy.
                            Available from Suttons Seeds and said to be strongly resistent.

                            Stephen
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 15, 2006
                              The disease does not seem to affect the perannials,
                              and not the fastest growing annuals (radishes)..
                              and it is possible to grow the athers, but it is obviously retarding
                              growth, and diminish crop.

                              Geir Flatabø

                              allmendeperma@... skrev:

                              >Hmmm, what I know about this desease from a webside that doesn´t exist any more is, that you should keep the pH between 6,5 and 7 on sandy soils and don`t plant cale on the same place for 3-5 years. If you`ve once got the desease, you`re not to plant cruciferous plants on the place for at least 8 years.
                              >So this desease could be a problem with perennial cales, couldn`t it?
                              >Greetings from Klaus
                              >
                              >pfaf@yahoogroups.com schrieb am 10.01.06 20:42:03:
                              >

                              >While discussing kale
                              >anyone knows of kale varieties resistant to club root disease, that is
                              >really a mess here in my garden.
                              >and where to get seeds.
                              >
                              >Geir Flatabø
                              >

                              >Yahoo! Groups Links
                              >

                              >--
                              >Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
                              >Artilleriestr. 6
                              >27283 Verden
                              >Tel 04231- 90 50 30
                              >Mobil 0171-1565620
                              >Fax 01212- 510857480
                              >Wir bieten Praktika und freiwilliges ökologisches Jahr.

                            • alison_tindale
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 27, 2007
                                Anyone know where I can get plants or cuttings of perennial kale var.
                                Daubenton? I can't find this anywhere!
                              • telsingandrews
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 9 2:54 PM
                                  --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "bastianklara" <lena.israelsson@...> wrote:

                                  > These companies use to sell Thousand-head kale: Abundant life Seed
                                  > foundation, Sutton Seeds, Seeds Blüm, Future foods. You find them
                                  > easily on internet. I don´t know where to find Perennial Daubentin,
                                  > but I would love to know.
                                  > lena

                                  I have found them in a french seed site: http://www.plantes-et-
                                  jardins.com listed as Chou Daubenton and Chou Daubenton panaché
                                  under 'old vegetables' legumes ancienes (sp?).

                                  If anyone knows of another supplier, especially one in North America
                                  that would be great. Does anyone know the hardiness of this variety?
                                • telsingandrews
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 10 12:58 PM
                                    Just to clarify, I do believe the supplier told me that they reproduce
                                    them by cuttings (Daubenton) but if anyone knows otherwise, I'm all
                                    ears.

                                    Telsing

                                    --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "telsingandrews" <telsing_andrews@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "bastianklara" <lena.israelsson@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > These companies use to sell Thousand-head kale: Abundant life Seed
                                    > > foundation, Sutton Seeds, Seeds Blüm, Future foods. You find them
                                    > > easily on internet. I don´t know where to find Perennial Daubentin,
                                    > > but I would love to know.
                                    > > lena
                                    > >

                                    > I have found them in a french seed site: http://www.plantes-et-
                                    > jardins.com listed as Chou Daubenton and Chou Daubenton panaché
                                    > under 'old vegetables' legumes ancienes (sp?).
                                    >
                                    > If anyone knows of another supplier, especially one in North America
                                    > that would be great. Does anyone know the hardiness of this variety?

                                  • SE MA Coast, Zone 7
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 14 6:42 PM
                                      If you are speaking of
                                      Perennial Kale (Brassica oleracea)
                                      Fedco seeds has it listed as Sea Kale.
                                      http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsItem.php?id=3099&SeedName=Sea%20Kale

                                      Good Luck,
                                      Robin
                                    • howigetby
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 15 12:18 PM
                                        Are they referring to the giant walking stick kale? I'm looking for a
                                        source for those and also would give my eye teeth for some tree collards!

                                        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "SE MA Coast, Zone 7" <Robin282mt@...> wrote:

                                        > If you are speaking of
                                        > Perennial Kale (Brassica oleracea)
                                        > Fedco seeds has it listed as Sea Kale.

                                        http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsItem.php?id=3099&SeedName=Sea%20Kale

                                        > Good Luck,
                                        > Robin

                                      • telsingandrews
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 17 7:14 AM
                                          Sea Kale is a different plant then what I'm looking for but as for
                                          Walking Stick Kale, you can get that at Thompson and Morgan but this
                                          may not be the same as tree collards. I wrote a blog post about
                                          perennail brassicas which I'm trying to educate myself on:
                                          http://veggiepatchreimagined.blogspot.com/2008/11/brassica-names-
                                          perennial-biennial-oh.html

                                          Anyone? Cuttings of Daubenton kale?? Sourcing plants - sigh.

                                          Telsing.

                                          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "howigetby" <howigetby@...> wrote:

                                          > Are they referring to the giant walking stick kale? I'm looking for
                                          > source for those and also would give my eye teeth for some tree
                                          collards!

                                          > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "SE MA Coast, Zone 7" <Robin282mt@>
                                          wrote:

                                          > > If you are speaking of
                                          > > Perennial Kale (Brassica oleracea)
                                          > > Fedco seeds has it listed as Sea Kale.
                                          > >
                                          > http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsItem.php?id=3099&SeedName=Sea%
                                          20Kale

                                          > > Good Luck,
                                          > > Robin

                                        • Staci
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 17 8:50 AM
                                            i have a perrenial kale plant where are you? I've been giving cuttings
                                            to my friends with success. I think it is a lundy cabbage i call it the
                                            cabbage bush, maybe i could post some to you? a friend of mine has
                                            walking stick kale i'll ask him about seeds.

                                            staci south wales
                                          • Lorian Garrett
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Nov 17 11:34 AM
                                              Hi Staci,

                                              I am located in Tacoma, WA, USA - if you can send seeds, that would be
                                              great! Please let me know how much you need for postage. Zip is 98444 in
                                              case that is required for determining postage costs.

                                              Thank you so much!!!

                                              Lori

                                              On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Staci <hippiesontour@...> wrote:

                                              > i have a perrenial kale plant where are you? I've been giving cuttings
                                              > to my friends with success. I think it is a lundy cabbage i call it the
                                              > cabbage bush, maybe i could post some to you? a friend of mine has
                                              > walking stick kale i'll ask him about seeds.
                                              >
                                              > staci south wales

                                            • telsingandrews
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Nov 17 5:06 PM
                                                You can get walking stick kale at Thompson and Morgan.

                                                Good luck!

                                                --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "howigetby" <howigetby@...> wrote:

                                                > Are they referring to the giant walking stick kale? I'm looking for
                                                > source for those and also would give my eye teeth for some tree
                                                collards!

                                                > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "SE MA Coast, Zone 7" <Robin282mt@>
                                                wrote:

                                                > > If you are speaking of
                                                > > Perennial Kale (Brassica oleracea)
                                                > > Fedco seeds has it listed as Sea Kale.
                                                > >
                                                > http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsItem.php?id=3099&SeedName=Sea%
                                                20Kale

                                                > > Good Luck,
                                                > > Robin

                                              • Staci
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Nov 20 1:13 AM
                                                  I don't have seeds for my kale but i'll ask my friend phil who had some
                                                  walking stick kale last year