Re: [pfaf] Phoenix Fir Oyster fruiting on Xmas trees (from last year)

  • Michael Porter
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2009
      good luck Diane, --and Merry Christmas, --  Michael

      From: Steve <permalove@gmail. com>
      Subject: [pfaf] Phoenix Fir Oyster fruiting on Xmas trees (from last year) [1 Attachment]
      To: permalove@gmail. com
      Date: Friday, December 18, 2009, 11:45 AM

      Mushrooms!
      I thought this might interest you.. 11 months after inoculation, I'm
      seeing some action on my christmas tree trunks ("harvested" from our
      neighbourhood area right before tree collection time last year).
      For those of you not living in Bermuda, businesses import thousands of
      conifers every year so folks can have a christmas tree on a
      subtropical island in the middle of the atlantic ocean, and then they
      collect them in trucks after twelfth night.
      I find this extremely wasteful, so I decided to get some yield from
      it. A friend and I split an order from Fungi Perfecti (owned and
      operated by mushroom guru Paul Stamets) in Washington State, USA.

      With better care (these were just tossed to the back of a garden bed
      in the shade and covered with burlap), and maybe some closer
      monitoring of conditions, we could get something exciting going.
      This year I will be doing trials of inoculation by spores fom the old
      stock (and so hopefully I'll only have to pay for plug spawn once)..
      I'll also be soaking my logs first.

      More photos to come. Questions and comments welcome.

      Peace and love,

      Steve.

      --
      "What, Sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the
      establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. Whenever

      ~ Elbridge Gerry