Phoenix Fir Oyster fruiting on Xmas trees (from last year)

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 18, 2009
    Mushrooms!
    I thought this might interest you.. 11 months after inoculation, I'm
    seeing some action on my christmas tree trunks ("harvested" from our
    neighbourhood area right before tree collection time last year).
    For those of you not living in Bermuda, businesses import thousands of
    conifers every year so folks can have a christmas tree on a
    subtropical island in the middle of the atlantic ocean, and then they
    collect them in trucks after twelfth night.
    I find this extremely wasteful, so I decided to get some yield from
    it. A friend and I split an order from Fungi Perfecti (owned and
    operated by mushroom guru Paul Stamets) in Washington State, USA.

    With better care (these were just tossed to the back of a garden bed
    in the shade and covered with burlap), and maybe some closer
    monitoring of conditions, we could get something exciting going.
    This year I will be doing trials of inoculation by spores fom the old
    stock (and so hopefully I'll only have to pay for plug spawn once)..
    I'll also be soaking my logs first.

    More photos to come. Questions and comments welcome.

    Peace and love,

    Steve.

    --
    "What, Sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the
    establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. Whenever

    ~ Elbridge Gerry
  • Linda Morris
    Message 2 of 4 , Dec 18, 2009
      HI,,That sounds delicious,,I like to eat mushrooms, with garlic an onion sauteed with vegetables,, To help the growing or sprouting mushroom to get a hold, if you score into the log with an ax or machete to make an opening into the wood it really helps,,,Linda

    • Diane Lee Long
      Message 3 of 4 , Dec 18, 2009
        Dear Steve,

        Thank you for tis posting.  We have been setting up the past couple of months so we can get the plugs and see what happens.

        We will be making the rounds to collect the XMas trees as well this year.

        Keep us informed, we greatly appreciated this posting and picture!

        Diane

        Message 4 of 4 , Dec 20, 2009
          good luck Diane, --and Merry Christmas, --  Michael