Re: [pfaf] Olive leaf extract

  • Infowolf1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 14, 2009
      anti fungal, anti viral, anti bacterial, helps lower blood pressure.
      Other stuff too, I'm sure, but that's what I use it for.

      Mary Christine

      In a message dated 12/14/2009 4:03:20 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, peter.ellis@... writes:

      The message <SNT131-w33098EF11A1 A1E32C8561ED1890 @...>
      from Elaine Sommers <elainesommers@ live.com> contains these words:

      > Hi Joy, what can the olive leaf essence be used for?

      > I also make tinctures using vodka, or brandy sometimes. It is an
      > excellent way of extraction. I have used it successfully with cleavers
      > (galium aparine) which has been used to aid sufferers of psoriasis.

      > Elaine.

      I'm intrigued too, as I live surrounded by olive groves.

      I use rakija, being inexpensive local alcohol, to make a horse chestnut
      tincture for varicose veins.

      Cheers

      Peter

    • j.sherri
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 15, 2009
        Hi Peter, Mary and All,

        I want to break this down into a science. For some reason, maybe
        intuitition just macerating the leaves in alcohol or boiling them
        doesn't seem to be the way. Maybe it needs to be a process of
        distillation? I know that's so much of a hassle for most of us - who
        really does have those fancy set ups or know-how? Maybe to pulverize the
        leaves before the tincture in alcohol process? Maybe boiling them,
        scraping them or squeezing them through a sieve and then doing the
        tincture? From wikipedia it's the *antioxidant
        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antioxidant> oleuropein
        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleuropein> and hydroxytyrosol
        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroxytyrosol>, as well as several other
        polyphenols and flavonoids <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavonoid>
        including Oleocanthal <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleocanthal> that
        need to be extracted. Does heat destroy any of them? Would sun light do
        the trick equally well with a glycerin base? Or maybe just forgo the
        whole maceration and just pulverize the leaves and put them in gelatin
        capsules and down them that way?

        I need them for an internal fungal situation and probably could have
        done well with a good extract 2 weeks ago. The market seems to be afluff
        with all kinds of products and it's so hard knowing exactly what's what
        and which process is the most effective. Either the experts are keeping
        a lid on it in secrecy or else simply nobody knows for sure.

        Blessings,
        Joy
      • Gail Lloyd
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 16, 2009
          According to wikipedia, there is recorded evidence of olive leaf's medicinal use which dates back thousands of years: it was used by ancient Egyptian and Mediterranean cultures to treat a variety of health conditions, so it can't be that hard for us to extract it, too.  I did a google search for olive leaf extract how to make, and this is what I found:

          Put 8 oz. of olive leaves and pour 1 gallon of water into your crock-pot. Turn the heat on "low." (You want the heat to be around 175-185 degrees Fahrenheit. Because crock-pots can differ, use the cooking thermometer to check the heat after the crock-pot has warmed. Adjust the settings accordingly and test again after the crock-pot has had time to reach the new temperature. This can take around 15 minutes.)

          After the crock-pot has achieved the correct temperature, cover the mixture and allow it to simmer for 12 hours. Periodically check the water level and add a little more water if needed.

          After 12 hours, turn off the crock-pot. Allow the olive leaf extract to cool for five to six hours.

          Pour the finished extract into a glass container, seal and store in your refrigerator.

          http://www.ehow.com/how_5344982_make-olive-leaf-extract.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

          Gail

          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 16, 2009
            Hello, I am Linda and I live in Florida in the USA,,I am learning about making medicine, so far I have only filled capsules with what I have ordered.  But I have a book that was written 10 years ago an it tells all abut making tinures using root, leaves or bark or fruits,,,I have not read it all yet,,I work 40 hours a week at night then sleep, when I am off I have not gotten much accomplished in my medicine making,,,,but I will research this for you and try to get the information back to you....if you will send me your mailing address I will copy the pages and mail them to you,,Linda

[...]

          • Mohammed Alal Khan
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 16, 2009

              Hello Linda,

              I have seen your email, my self is the manufacturer of extracts. My address is

              Mohammed Alal Khan

              13, Lakeview Drive, Kippens , NL, A2N 3B9 Canada

              Regards

              Khan

              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 16, 2009
                I did see that process - it seems to be the only one accessible on google. Now how did the ancient Egyptians go about making it if they didn't have that crock pot, that's what I'd like to know ;)

                Here's what I did today though, my first batch - picked a few leaves, washed them, soaked them overnight, boiled them, then turned off the heat and just let the covered pot sit there till it cooled completely. Afterwards took about half the liquid and the leaves and put that into a food processor and pulverized. Then took that mixture and put it through a sieve, pouring it then into the rest of the liquid.

                It turned a really dark green - which I think is good.

                Maybe I will try to reduce it all by heating it somewhat and let the liquid evaporate by 1/3 or so. This will only last refrigerated - still have to figure out a way to get the nutrients but still extend its shelf life without the alcohol-soaking process. Maybe add some GSE as a preservative?

                Blessings,
                Joy

                --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Gail Lloyd <gardenchick1949@...> wrote:

                > According to wikipedia, there is recorded evidence of olive leaf's medicinal use which dates back thousands of years: it was used by ancient Egyptian and Mediterranean cultures to treat a variety of health conditions, so it can't be that hard for us to extract it, too.  I did a google search for olive leaf extract how to make, and this is what I found:
                > Put 8 oz. of olive leaves and pour 1 gallon of water into your crock-pot. Turn the heat on "low." (You want the heat to be around 175-185 degrees Fahrenheit. Because crock-pots can differ, use the cooking thermometer to check the heat after the crock-pot has warmed. Adjust the settings accordingly and test again after the crock-pot has had time to reach the new temperature. This can take around 15 minutes.)
                > After the crock-pot has achieved the correct temperature, cover the mixture and allow it to simmer for 12 hours. Periodically check the water level and add a little more water if needed.
                > After 12 hours, turn off the crock-pot. Allow the olive leaf extract to cool for five to six hours.
                > Pour the finished extract into a glass container, seal and store in your refrigerator.
                > http://www.ehow.com/how_5344982_make-olive-leaf-extract.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art Gail
                >

                > ________________________________

              • CatLoveMama
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 16, 2009
                  Peter,

                  Did you test the extract with any kind of ailment? What were/are the results?

                  Blessings,
                  Joy

                  --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Infowolf1@... wrote:

                  > anti fungal, anti viral, anti bacterial, helps lower blood pressure.
                  > Other stuff too, I'm sure, but that's what I use it for.
                  >
                  > Mary Christine
                  >

                  > In a message dated 12/14/2009 4:03:20 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                  > peter.ellis@... writes:
                  >

                  > The message <_SNT131-w33098EF11A1SNT131-w33098EF1SNT131-w_
                  > (mailto:SNT131-w33098EF11A1A1E32C8561ED1890@...) >
                  > from Elaine Sommers <_elainesommers@elaineso_
                  > (mailto:elainesommers@...) > contains these words:
                  >
                  > > Hi Joy, what can the olive leaf essence be used for?
                  >
                  > > I also make tinctures using vodka, or brandy sometimes. It is an
                  > > excellent way of extraction. I have used it successfully with cleavers
                  > > (galium aparine) which has been used to aid sufferers of psoriasis.
                  >
                  > > Elaine.
                  >
                  > I'm intrigued too, as I live surrounded by olive groves.
                  >
                  > I use rakija, being inexpensive local alcohol, to make a horse chestnut
                  > tincture for varicose veins.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  >
                  > Peter

                • Gail Lloyd
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 16, 2009
                    Linda, what is the name of your book & who is the author?
                    Gail

                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 16, 2009
                      Hi Joy

                      Horse chestnut is widely used in commercial gels for rubbing on to
                      strengthen veins and prevent varicose veins. I've a book which
                      recommended crushing them in vodka and leaving them to steep for a
                      month, then filtering and using gelatine to create a gel. I can buy
                      rakija (schnapps) locally very cheaply. Every farmer around here makes
                      the stuff as stills are legal here. I pay around two dollars a litre for
                      it so there was no point in using vodka!
                      This is the first year I've made it, so I cannot yet comment on its efficacy.
                      I'd not heard of olive leaf tinctures before but there seems to be
                      plenty on the internet recommending it. Since I'm surrounded by olive
                      groves I thought I'd have a go.
                      I'm very pleased that it was raised here.

                      Cheers

                      Peter

                      The message <hgb5e3+evls@...>
                      from "CatLoveMama" <beitharmony@...> contains these words:

                      > Peter,

                      > Did you test the extract with any kind of ailment? What were/are the
                      > results?

                      > Blessings,
                      > Joy

                      > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Infowolf1@... wrote:
                      > >
                      > > anti fungal, anti viral, anti bacterial, helps lower blood pressure.
                      > > Other stuff too, I'm sure, but that's what I use it for.
                      > >
                      > > Mary Christine
                      > >

                      > > In a message dated 12/14/2009 4:03:20 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                      > > peter.ellis@... writes:
                      > >

                      > > The message <_SNT131-w33098EF11A1SNT131-w33098EF1SNT131-w_
                      > > (mailto:SNT131-w33098EF11A1A1E32C8561ED1890@...) >
                      > > from Elaine Sommers <_elainesommers@elaineso_
                      > > (mailto:elainesommers@...) > contains these words:
                      > >
                      > > > Hi Joy, what can the olive leaf essence be used for?
                      > >
                      > > > I also make tinctures using vodka, or brandy sometimes. It is an
                      > > > excellent way of extraction. I have used it successfully with cleavers
                      > > > (galium aparine) which has been used to aid sufferers of psoriasis.
                      > >
                      > > > Elaine.
                      > >
                      > > I'm intrigued too, as I live surrounded by olive groves.
                      > >
                      > > I use rakija, being inexpensive local alcohol, to make a horse chestnut
                      > > tincture for varicose veins.
                      > >
                      > > Cheers
                      > >
                      > > Peter

                    • Linda Morris
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 16, 2009
                        I will find it and give you the information, I was going to check with the second handbook place and find another one,,I hand ordered it from a used book bussiness that does a lot of business selling online,,,Linda

                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 16, 2009
                          "I need them for an internal fungal situation"  - look in to Kombocha Tea

                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 17, 2009
                            A combination of alcohol and distilled water is needed to extract all of the constituants of the leaves. For example, alcohol is needed to extract the alkaloids, whereas the distilled water is needed to extract the saponins. For leaves, a 50/50 solution of pure grain alcohol and distilled water works fine. 100 proof vodka is a 50/50 solution of alcohol and water, but the water is NOT distilled, so it is inferior. There are more advanced processes that take the preparation a step further by evaporating the alcohol, and then adding glycerin. The obvious disadvantage is shelf life. Alcoholic tinctures can last up to ten years, but the glycerin extracts are only good for about a year. Taking ground leaves in glycerin capsules ensures all the nutrients are present, but again the shelf life is limited to about a year.

                            In view of the coming CODEX requirements, which will rob people of their choices for nutritional options, I am opting for alcoholic tinctures which wil last a long time. I have purchased large quantities of powdered herbs, mostly from www.herbalcom.com because of their low prices. I am satisifed with their quality as well. I have tinctured the powders in large 1-2 liter jars. I also prepared large quantities of Lugol's iodine, as it will likely become very scarce in the near future.

                            For an example of an advanced extract, see the product line put out by Nature's Answer, as seen on www.vitacost.com, a low cost distributor. I was impressed with the quality of their products, having purchased alcohol-free extracts of Lomatium dissectum and Goldenseal from them. The Lomatium root got rid of my thrush in a mere three weeks. I simply held the Lomatium root extract in my mouth for several minutes, several times per day (and night).

                            John /Israel

                            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "j.sherri" <beitharmony@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Peter, Mary and All,
                            >
                            > I want to break this down into a science. For some reason, maybe
                            > intuitition just macerating the leaves in alcohol or boiling them
                            > doesn't seem to be the way. Maybe it needs to be a process of
                            > distillation? I know that's so much of a hassle for most of us - who
                            > really does have those fancy set ups or know-how? Maybe to pulverize the
                            > leaves before the tincture in alcohol process? Maybe boiling them,
                            > scraping them or squeezing them through a sieve and then doing the
                            > tincture? From wikipedia it's the *antioxidant
                            > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antioxidant> oleuropein
                            > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleuropein> and hydroxytyrosol
                            > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroxytyrosol>, as well as several other
                            > polyphenols and flavonoids <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavonoid>
                            > including Oleocanthal <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleocanthal> that
                            > need to be extracted. Does heat destroy any of them? Would sun light do
                            > the trick equally well with a glycerin base? Or maybe just forgo the
                            > whole maceration and just pulverize the leaves and put them in gelatin
                            > capsules and down them that way?
                            >
                            > I need them for an internal fungal situation and probably could have
                            > done well with a good extract 2 weeks ago. The market seems to be afluff
                            > with all kinds of products and it's so hard knowing exactly what's what
                            > and which process is the most effective. Either the experts are keeping
                            > a lid on it in secrecy or else simply nobody knows for sure.
                            >
                            > Blessings,
                            > Joy

                          • Gail Lloyd
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 29, 2010
                              Linda, did you ever find that book.  i would like to know the name & author if you have.
                              thx,
                              gail

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 29, 2010
                                HI!!! I did,,,then I lost your contact information,,I will send the name and author tomorrow night,,but if you don't see it sent send another email,,,I am glad you emailed me,,Linda

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 30, 2010

                                   Hello, I have the book information for you:
                                  ISBN 1-57954-254-9  paperback
                                  by James A. Duke, Ph.D.
                                  copyright 1999
                                  Nature's Best Herbal Remedies
                                  (Sure cures for more than 75 common health problems from America's most respected Herb Doctor)

                                  This is a paperback book, but it the size of regular letter paper, not a small type of book, I hope you can find it, I got mine from an online used book dealer, I do not remember what I paid for it. Let me know if you get it.
                                  Linda

                                • Bryce
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 31, 2010
                                    I did not pick up on your post til recently and hope that some of this may help you. Here is a recipe from online to make an extract of olive leaf: http://www.jakesunbaked.com/2009/08/making-olive-leaf-extract.html . Here is some information about the efficacy of the different preparations both dry, and liquid, alcohol, or water/glycerite
                                    of olive leaf as a medicinal: http://www.about-olive-leaf-extract.com/olive-leaves.html .
                                    A useful source for info about its uses is the Therapeutic Herb Manual
                                    by Ed Smith. His company is Herb Pharm and they make a tincture of olive leaf but the book does not say whether its alcohol or a glycerite. The company email is info@... . Lastly a very good source of uses and doses for olive leaf as well as a water preparation of it can be found in A Modern Herbal by Mrs. M. Grieve published in 1931.--- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "CatLoveMama" <beitharmony@...> wrote:

                                    > What would be the best way to extract the essence from the olive leaf?
                                    > I'd like to start using this protocol for health reasons and have some organic leaves. My googling hasn't returned any useful methods. Can you help?
                                    >
                                    > Thank you,
                                    > Joy
                                    > Indigo Animal Rescue Worldwide

                                  • Gail Lloyd

                                        by Ed Smith. His company is Herb Pharm and they make a tincture of olive leaf but the book does not say whether its alcohol or a glycerite. The company email is info@herbpharm. com . Lastly a very good source of uses and doses for olive leaf as well as a water preparation of it can be found in A Modern Herbal by Mrs. M. Grieve published in 1931.--- In pfaf@yahoogroups. com, "CatLoveMama" <beitharmony@ ...> wrote:

                                        > What would be the best way to extract the essence from the olive leaf?
                                        > I'd like to start using this protocol for health reasons and have some organic leaves. My googling hasn't returned any useful methods. Can you help?
                                        >
                                        > Thank you,
                                        > Joy
                                        > Indigo Animal Rescue Worldwide

                                      • yerbatera
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 7, 2010
                                          Apparently we here @ PFAF aren't the only ones with a keen interest in Olive leaf extract:

                                          Assessment of Anti-inflammatory and Antinociceptive Activities of Olea europaea L.

                                          J Med Food. 2010 Feb 4;

                                          Authors: Süntar IP, Akkol EK, Baykal T

                                          Abstract Leaves and fruits of Olea europaea L. (Family Oleaceae) are used for the treatment of various kinds of diseases, i.e., rheumatism and hemorrhoids, and as a vasodilator in vascular disorders for ages in folk medicine. In order to evaluate this information, anti-inflammatory and antinociceptive activities of the ethanolic and n-hexane extracts prepared from the fruits of O. europaea were investigated. For the anti-inflammatory activity, the carrageenan-induced hind paw edema and acetic acid-induced increased capillary permeability models were used, whereas for the antinociceptive activity, the p-benzoquinone-induced writhing and hot plate tests in mice were used. The results revealed that the ethanolic extract did not show a significant anti-inflammatory or analgesic activity, whereas the n-hexane extract displayed 12.7-27.8% inhibition on the carrageenan-induced hind paw edema model at the 400 mg/kg dose, without inducing any apparent acute toxicity as well as gastric damage. Further studies are warranted to define and isolate the active anti-inflammatory and antinociceptive components from this plant, which may yield safe and effective agents to be used in the treatment of inflammatory disorders.

                                          PMID: 20132039 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

                                          Long-time list-reader, first-time poster! :)

                                          Thank you to everyone who posted resources/instructions!

                                          in the middle of electric olive land