Re: [pfaf] Edible grasses in common "lawn"?

  • Gail Lloyd
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2009
      this is not a grass, but it is found in the common lawn, and all parts are not only edible, but extremely good for your liver.  It is the common dandelion.
      Gail

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2009
        also Violets the whole thing roots,leaves and flowers

        Anna

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2009
          In Norway we could add to that at least:
          Yarrow,  Achillea millefolium
          Leontodon autumnalis
          Hypochaeris radicata
          Plantain Plantago major
          Cardamine pratensis
          Trifolium repens
          Noccaea(Thlaspi)  caerulescens
          +/- common inhabitants in lawns where weed killers are not used...

          Geir Flatabø

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 6, 2009
            And caraway
            if it is allowed to reseed..

            Geir Flatabø

            2009/12/4 Anna Janek <annakamenska@...>

            also Violets the whole thing roots,leaves and flowers

            Anna

            this is not a grass, but it is found in the common lawn, and all parts are not only edible, but extremely good for your liver.  It is the common dandelion.
            Gail

            Hard to say exactly as I have no idea what is the common lawn, but I have
            an idea. First check if there are poisonous grasses at all in your area.
            In Finland there actually are no poisonous grasses (or one suspectible,
            which is very rare) and therefore I have juiced all the grasses for green
            drinks... But ... It's +10 years since I have lived in city and been in
            to a "common lawn" ... actually there might be also some issues issues
            with parasites, like f.e. toxoplasmosis if there are cats around etc...
            Besides of grasses there might be some edible herbacious plants around.

            Ossi Kakko,
            Finland

            > Are there any edible grasses found in the common lawn?

          • Francis S
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2010
              Creeping Charlie(all parts) I don't know where you live,
              but it is all around the USA.

              (all of these plants are used are pretty much edible)

              pepper weed
              pineapple weed

              these n sprout out in the yard and will grow bigger
              if they are near a garden or some where where they aren't cut.

              Ameranth (vegtable type grain type
              very decorative)

              currly dock (rumex crispus)
              the leaves are good
              the dried seeds make tea (it has iron in it though)

              clover (flower tea)
              leaves aren't to tasty to me but you can eat them in salad/soup if you want.
              wood sorrle
              fat hen

              I have never planted any of these, and they pop up in my yard.
              milk weed has also along with other plants.
              edit
              (oh you can also eat the sprouts from maple the seeds that come up with the leaves taste sweet

              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Anna Janek <annakamenska@...> wrote:

              > also Violets the whole thing roots,leaves and flowers
              >
              > Anna
            • Joseph A. Cleary
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2010
                        Dear Francis S:
                            I too thank you, as I have a friend here in Oklahoma who has Arthritis real bad, plus she's real low on Iron, so I'll tell her husband about the Dock seeds.
                            I only strive to help.
                            Please be well.
                Shalom, Shalom, Yosef of Ok.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2010
                  Latin  names
                  would indeed make it easier for us not custom to American / english names !
                  Geir Flatabø

                  2010/1/3 Francis S <manofpeace32@...>
                  Creeping Charlie(all parts) I don't know where you live,
                  but it is all around the USA.

                  (all of these plants are used are pretty much edible)

                  pepper weed
                  pineapple weed

                  these n sprout out in the yard and will grow bigger
                  if they are near a garden or some where where they aren't cut.

                  Ameranth (vegtable type grain type
                  very decorative)

                  currly dock (rumex crispus)
                  the leaves are good
                  the dried seeds make tea (it has iron in it though)

                  clover (flower tea)
                  leaves aren't to tasty to me but you can eat them in salad/soup if you want.
                  wood sorrle
                  fat hen

                  I have never planted any of these, and they pop up in my yard.
                  milk weed has also along with other plants.
                  edit
                  (oh you can also eat the sprouts from maple the seeds that come up with the leaves taste sweet

                  --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Anna Janek <annakamenska@...> wrote:

                  > also Violets the whole thing roots,leaves and flowers
                  >
                  > Anna

                  <*> Your email settings:
                     Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to: