Growing vines in trees

  • Stephen Barstow
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2009

      The great thing about Hablitzia is that it is in full growth long before the leaves spring out and can climb to 3-4m before mid-summer. In this way I think it should grow well together with trees without being outcompeted. Nevertheless it does very much depend on your climate and local conditions as to how well this would work. In my garden I don’t have more than 20 cm deep soil over rock and I think it would have trouble competing with the water-hungry birch trees. Therefore, I’ve so far made a trench so that the birch roots cannot compete. I should try though…   It is one of the earliest plants to start growing in spring and if anything will work then it would be Hablitzia I think.

      Stephen (Norway)