Re: [pfaf] Re: Walnuts

  • mIEKAL aND
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 2, 2009
      I should make it clear that I'm talking about Giant Japanese Knotweed, which around here gets to be 10-14 feet tall.  Stalks are harvested in October.  The first step is to break thru the culms so that no moisture is stuck inside the tubes.  These will then dry to be just like bamboo (tho not nearly as strong).  For panpipes tubes are cut to different lengths & we use dried stalks of cupplant to hold a row of tubes together.  Then by using homemade sinew everything is wrapped up.  I completely wild-crafted music instrument.  To some degree the panpipes can be tuned by adjusting the length of the tubes.  Final touch is to put beeswax on the cut end of the tubes to make them easier on the lips.  I used to have some photos up on the permaculture wiki but I see the site is no longer up.

      ~mIEKAL

      On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 4:48 AM, Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote:

      2009/12/1 mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@...>

      We use the shoots like asparagus in the spring & have dried the stalks & used them to make many panpipes & flutes....
      Could you elaborate
      how you make the panpipes and flutes !??

      Geir Flatabø
    • listenstohorses
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 2, 2009
        No way!!   try