Re: [pfaf] Growing vines in trees

  • ossi
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 2009
      Thanks a lot for the hops n' alder!

      Not so much info here, but little observations. In Finland I've seen
      Parthenocissus inserta succesfully climbing up in Rowan and both were
      about 100 years old. About the same age Actinidia kolomikta had
      suffocated a 5 meter tall juneberry and reached into the douglas fir
      behind that... Therefore 6 meters of climbing space seems to be
      necessary for the kiwis. In Finland apples and plums rarely grow
      taller than that, even though I've seen one 15 meter tall apple tree.
      Young kiwi saplings do good in shade, but fruiting requires sunlight
      (forest edge)... I'm keen to find out how kiwis get along with pinus
      sylvestris, which seems to be ok for hablizia to climb on as well as
      are pruned spruces. Schisandra chinensis is naturally occuring in
      shady forests of north-eastern Asia in which it's growing up to the
      canopy. In Finland I have not seen any succesfull cultivars of
      Schisandra in open areas or pergolas, as it has usually remained about
      one meter tall...

      Ossi Kakko

      > In Norway
      > Hops - Humulus lupulus grows vigoriously in alder habitats.
      > Alder is nitrogen fixing, Hops giving edible nice tasting shoots in
      > spring and hops in the autumn.
      >
      > Geir Flatabø
      >
      > 2009/11/29 hydrochar <bgmartin@...>
      >
      >> I'm very interested in growing food producing vines like grape, kiwi,
      >> Schisandra, cinnamon vine, Akebia and Hablitzia in fruit, nut or
      >> nitrogen fixing trees. I've been told that I shouldn't do this, but
      >> rather that I should build arbors so the plants don't compete. I'm
      >> guessing that Hablitzia, Schisandra and arctic kiwi will not overly
      >> compete with dwarf trees and can handle light shade. I've seen wild
      >> grapes growing beautifully in crabapples in the forest edges here in
      >> Maine (USA). Does anyone have specific examples of vine/tree
      >> combinations that have worked well? Any pictures or advice?

    • Stephen Barstow
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2009

        The great thing about Hablitzia is that it is in full growth long before the leaves spring out and can climb to 3-4m before mid-summer. In this way I think it should grow well together with trees without being outcompeted. Nevertheless it does very much depend on your climate and local conditions as to how well this would work. In my garden I don’t have more than 20 cm deep soil over rock and I think it would have trouble competing with the water-hungry birch trees. Therefore, I’ve so far made a trench so that the birch roots cannot compete. I should try though…   It is one of the earliest plants to start growing in spring and if anything will work then it would be Hablitzia I think.

        Stephen (Norway)