Edible grasses in common "lawn"?

  • volvelle2003
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2009
      Are there any edible grasses found in the common lawn?
    • Ossi Kakko
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 30, 2009
        Hard to say exactly as I have no idea what is the common lawn, but I have
        an idea. First check if there are poisonous grasses at all in your area.
        In Finland there actually are no poisonous grasses (or one suspectible,
        which is very rare) and therefore I have juiced all the grasses for green
        drinks... But ... It's +10 years since I have lived in city and been in
        to a "common lawn" ... actually there might be also some issues issues
        with parasites, like f.e. toxoplasmosis if there are cats around etc...
        Besides of grasses there might be some edible herbacious plants around.

        Ossi Kakko,
        Finland

        > Are there any edible grasses found in the common lawn?

      • Gail Lloyd
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2009
          this is not a grass, but it is found in the common lawn, and all parts are not only edible, but extremely good for your liver.  It is the common dandelion.
          Gail

          Hard to say exactly as I have no idea what is the common lawn, but I have
          an idea. First check if there are poisonous grasses at all in your area.
          In Finland there actually are no poisonous grasses (or one suspectible,
          which is very rare) and therefore I have juiced all the grasses for green
          drinks... But ... It's +10 years since I have lived in city and been in
          to a "common lawn" ... actually there might be also some issues issues
          with parasites, like f.e. toxoplasmosis if there are cats around etc...
          Besides of grasses there might be some edible herbacious plants around.

          Ossi Kakko,
          Finland

          > Are there any edible grasses found in the common lawn?

        • Anna Janek
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2009
            also Violets the whole thing roots,leaves and flowers

            Anna

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 2009
              In Norway we could add to that at least:
              Yarrow,  Achillea millefolium
              Leontodon autumnalis
              Hypochaeris radicata
              Plantain Plantago major
              Cardamine pratensis
              Trifolium repens
              Noccaea(Thlaspi)  caerulescens
              +/- common inhabitants in lawns where weed killers are not used...

              Geir Flatabø

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 6, 2009
                And caraway
                if it is allowed to reseed..

                Geir Flatabø

                2009/12/4 Anna Janek <annakamenska@...>

                also Violets the whole thing roots,leaves and flowers

                Anna

                this is not a grass, but it is found in the common lawn, and all parts are not only edible, but extremely good for your liver.  It is the common dandelion.
                Gail

                Hard to say exactly as I have no idea what is the common lawn, but I have
                an idea. First check if there are poisonous grasses at all in your area.
                In Finland there actually are no poisonous grasses (or one suspectible,
                which is very rare) and therefore I have juiced all the grasses for green
                drinks... But ... It's +10 years since I have lived in city and been in
                to a "common lawn" ... actually there might be also some issues issues
                with parasites, like f.e. toxoplasmosis if there are cats around etc...
                Besides of grasses there might be some edible herbacious plants around.

                Ossi Kakko,
                Finland

                > Are there any edible grasses found in the common lawn?

              • Francis S
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2010
                  Creeping Charlie(all parts) I don't know where you live,
                  but it is all around the USA.

                  (all of these plants are used are pretty much edible)

                  pepper weed
                  pineapple weed

                  these n sprout out in the yard and will grow bigger
                  if they are near a garden or some where where they aren't cut.

                  Ameranth (vegtable type grain type
                  very decorative)

                  currly dock (rumex crispus)
                  the leaves are good
                  the dried seeds make tea (it has iron in it though)

                  clover (flower tea)
                  leaves aren't to tasty to me but you can eat them in salad/soup if you want.
                  wood sorrle
                  fat hen

                  I have never planted any of these, and they pop up in my yard.
                  milk weed has also along with other plants.
                  edit
                  (oh you can also eat the sprouts from maple the seeds that come up with the leaves taste sweet

                  --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Anna Janek <annakamenska@...> wrote:

                  > also Violets the whole thing roots,leaves and flowers
                  >
                  > Anna
                • Joseph A. Cleary
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 3, 2010
                            Dear Francis S:
                                I too thank you, as I have a friend here in Oklahoma who has Arthritis real bad, plus she's real low on Iron, so I'll tell her husband about the Dock seeds.
                                I only strive to help.
                                Please be well.
                    Shalom, Shalom, Yosef of Ok.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 3, 2010
                      Latin  names
                      would indeed make it easier for us not custom to American / english names !
                      Geir Flatabø

                      2010/1/3 Francis S <manofpeace32@...>
                      Creeping Charlie(all parts) I don't know where you live,
                      but it is all around the USA.

                      (all of these plants are used are pretty much edible)

                      pepper weed
                      pineapple weed

                      these n sprout out in the yard and will grow bigger
                      if they are near a garden or some where where they aren't cut.

                      Ameranth (vegtable type grain type
                      very decorative)

                      currly dock (rumex crispus)
                      the leaves are good
                      the dried seeds make tea (it has iron in it though)

                      clover (flower tea)
                      leaves aren't to tasty to me but you can eat them in salad/soup if you want.
                      wood sorrle
                      fat hen

                      I have never planted any of these, and they pop up in my yard.
                      milk weed has also along with other plants.
                      edit
                      (oh you can also eat the sprouts from maple the seeds that come up with the leaves taste sweet

                      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Anna Janek <annakamenska@...> wrote:

                      > also Violets the whole thing roots,leaves and flowers
                      >
                      > Anna

                      <*> Your email settings:
                         Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to: