Re: [pfaf] Lupins

  • Ossi Kakko
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 25, 2009
      Hi,

      I've cooked several different lupins and some of them are just a waste of
      time, rather cut them to compost... Luckily with the lupins, the poisonous
      content can be recognized through tasting and if it's -- hmm.. let's say
      bitter, then the poisons have not leached out and it needs more soaking,
      rinsing and boiling ... I'd rather choose to eat Vicia sp. - but am sure
      that somewhere there are also good varieties of lupins I have
      unfortunately not found (and I'm not considering here results of 20th
      century breeding programs, that are widely cultivated annuals which make
      nice tofu) ... Maybe some andean varieties?

      Ossi

    • david.keltie@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 26, 2009
        Is there any botanical difference between lupinus albus and lupinus
        augustifolius - other than colour? Is one or other better as a food
        source?
        I guess either is a good source of nitrogen and useful growing for mulch.
        Thanks, david

        --
        Sent from my mobile device
      • malachy mulholland
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 26, 2009
          David not sure bout that did you Google it for more info

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 26, 2009
            A few years ago I drove all the way to North Cape (far North Norway)
            and one of the delightful things about the trip was the flowers in the
            disturbed earth along the roadside, mostly Lupins. They are defimitely
            wild in Norway.

            Michael Bell

            In message <70f5bda90911260007o75e32db0w7639498e36fc1f6f@...
            m>

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 26, 2009
              The Norwegian "wild species"  are
              Lupinus polyphyllus  and
              Lupinus perennis  and
              Lupinus nootkatensis...
              all perennials not belonging til the "sweet" lupin annual varieties...

              Geir Flatabø

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 26, 2009
                Mmm - seem to be different to uk varieties. They'll all fix nitrogen
                in the soil and provide a source of mulch, but i want to maximise the
                yield (as the permaculturists would say) by growing the best variety
                for food.
                Thanks, david

                On 11/26/09, Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote:
                > The Norwegian "wild species" are
                > Lupinus polyphyllus and
                > Lupinus perennis and
                > Lupinus nootkatensis...
                > all perennials not belonging til the "sweet" lupin annual varieties...
                >
                > Geir Flatabø
                >
                > 2009/11/26 Michael Bell <michael@...>
                >
                >> A few years ago I drove all the way to North Cape (far North Norway)
                >> and one of the delightful things about the trip was the flowers in the
                >> disturbed earth along the roadside, mostly Lupins. They are defimitely
                >> wild in Norway.
                >>
                >> Michael Bell
                >>
                >> In message <70f5bda90911260007o75e32db0w7639498e36fc1f6f@...
                >> m>
                >> david.keltie@... wrote:
                >>
                >> > As far as i can tell, wild lupins in the uk are garden escapees -
                >> > either lupinus albus or lupinus augustifolius.
                >> > Thanks, david

                >> --

                Sent from my mobile device
              • trentrhode
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 27, 2009
                  Pearl lupins are a kind that is edible. I found a place to buy them at one point, I believe in the U.S., but I've lost the source now.

                  The edible kind may all be annuals.

                  ~Trent Rhode

                  --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, david.keltie@... wrote:

                  > Anyone know if the UK lupin can be used as lupins are elsewhere ie
                  > seed used in soups and stews, or pressed to produce a cooking oil.?
                  > Anyone actually done this?
                  >
                  > Thanks, David

                • Jan Langford
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 27, 2009
                    First post from this lurker - hi everyone!

                    Just wanted to say that where I live, in Portugal, lupin seeds are widely available, boiled and salted as a sort of bar snack.  They are called tremocoes - pretty tastless in my opinion but portuguese love them.  I think that a kind of flour can also be made from the dried seeds.

                    Jan Langford
                  • Allmende Verden
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 28, 2009
                      We are breeding on l. angustifolius. I think this ones better than
                      albus (=pearl lupin). greetings from Klaus

                      Zitat von trentrhode <trentrhode@...>:

                      > Pearl lupins are a kind that is edible. I found a place to buy them
                      > at one point, I believe in the U.S., but I've lost the source now.
                      >
                      > The edible kind may all be annuals.
                      >
                      > ~Trent Rhode
                      >
                      > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, david.keltie@... wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Anyone know if the UK lupin can be used as lupins are elsewhere ie
                      >> seed used in soups and stews, or pressed to produce a cooking oil.?
                      >> Anyone actually done this?
                      >>
                      >> Thanks, David

                      Artilleriestr. 6
                      D-27283 Verden