Re: [pfaf] Lupins

  • Ossi Kakko
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 25, 2009
      Hi,

      I've cooked several different lupins and some of them are just a waste of
      time, rather cut them to compost... Luckily with the lupins, the poisonous
      content can be recognized through tasting and if it's -- hmm.. let's say
      bitter, then the poisons have not leached out and it needs more soaking,
      rinsing and boiling ... I'd rather choose to eat Vicia sp. - but am sure
      that somewhere there are also good varieties of lupins I have
      unfortunately not found (and I'm not considering here results of 20th
      century breeding programs, that are widely cultivated annuals which make
      nice tofu) ... Maybe some andean varieties?

      Ossi

    • david.keltie@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 26, 2009
        As far as i can tell, wild lupins in the uk are garden escapees -
        either lupinus albus or lupinus augustifolius.
        Thanks, david

        On 11/25/09, Allmende Verden <allmendeperma@...> wrote:
        > What species is the "UK lupin" in botanical latin? In Lower Sachsony
        > we have at least one wild lupinus species and some species used in
        > farming.***Klaus
        >

        > Zitat von david.keltie@...:
        >
        >> Anyone know if the UK lupin can be used as lupins are elsewhere ie
        >> seed used in soups and stews, or pressed to produce a cooking oil.?
        >> Anyone actually done this?
        >>
        >> Thanks, David
        >>

        > Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
        > Artilleriestr. 6
        > D-27283 Verden
        > Tel (+49) 4231- 90 30 470
        > Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
        > http://www.allmende.de.vu
        > Wir bieten Praktika und freiwilliges ökologisches Jahr.

        Sent from my mobile device
      • david.keltie@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 26, 2009
          Is there any botanical difference between lupinus albus and lupinus
          augustifolius - other than colour? Is one or other better as a food
          source?
          I guess either is a good source of nitrogen and useful growing for mulch.
          Thanks, david

          --
          Sent from my mobile device
        • malachy mulholland
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 26, 2009
            David not sure bout that did you Google it for more info

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 26, 2009
              A few years ago I drove all the way to North Cape (far North Norway)
              and one of the delightful things about the trip was the flowers in the
              disturbed earth along the roadside, mostly Lupins. They are defimitely
              wild in Norway.

              Michael Bell

              In message <70f5bda90911260007o75e32db0w7639498e36fc1f6f@...
              m>

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 26, 2009
                The Norwegian "wild species"  are
                Lupinus polyphyllus  and
                Lupinus perennis  and
                Lupinus nootkatensis...
                all perennials not belonging til the "sweet" lupin annual varieties...

                Geir Flatabø

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 26, 2009
                  Mmm - seem to be different to uk varieties. They'll all fix nitrogen
                  in the soil and provide a source of mulch, but i want to maximise the
                  yield (as the permaculturists would say) by growing the best variety
                  for food.
                  Thanks, david

                  On 11/26/09, Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote:
                  > The Norwegian "wild species" are
                  > Lupinus polyphyllus and
                  > Lupinus perennis and
                  > Lupinus nootkatensis...
                  > all perennials not belonging til the "sweet" lupin annual varieties...
                  >
                  > Geir Flatabø
                  >
                  > 2009/11/26 Michael Bell <michael@...>
                  >
                  >> A few years ago I drove all the way to North Cape (far North Norway)
                  >> and one of the delightful things about the trip was the flowers in the
                  >> disturbed earth along the roadside, mostly Lupins. They are defimitely
                  >> wild in Norway.
                  >>
                  >> Michael Bell
                  >>
                  >> In message <70f5bda90911260007o75e32db0w7639498e36fc1f6f@...
                  >> m>
                  >> david.keltie@... wrote:
                  >>
                  >> > As far as i can tell, wild lupins in the uk are garden escapees -
                  >> > either lupinus albus or lupinus augustifolius.
                  >> > Thanks, david

                  >> --

                  Sent from my mobile device
                • trentrhode
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 27, 2009
                    Pearl lupins are a kind that is edible. I found a place to buy them at one point, I believe in the U.S., but I've lost the source now.

                    The edible kind may all be annuals.

                    ~Trent Rhode

                    --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, david.keltie@... wrote:

                    > Anyone know if the UK lupin can be used as lupins are elsewhere ie
                    > seed used in soups and stews, or pressed to produce a cooking oil.?
                    > Anyone actually done this?
                    >
                    > Thanks, David

                  • Jan Langford
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 27, 2009
                      First post from this lurker - hi everyone!

                      Just wanted to say that where I live, in Portugal, lupin seeds are widely available, boiled and salted as a sort of bar snack.  They are called tremocoes - pretty tastless in my opinion but portuguese love them.  I think that a kind of flour can also be made from the dried seeds.

                      Jan Langford
                    • Allmende Verden
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 28, 2009
                        We are breeding on l. angustifolius. I think this ones better than
                        albus (=pearl lupin). greetings from Klaus

                        Zitat von trentrhode <trentrhode@...>:

                        > Pearl lupins are a kind that is edible. I found a place to buy them
                        > at one point, I believe in the U.S., but I've lost the source now.
                        >
                        > The edible kind may all be annuals.
                        >
                        > ~Trent Rhode
                        >
                        > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, david.keltie@... wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Anyone know if the UK lupin can be used as lupins are elsewhere ie
                        >> seed used in soups and stews, or pressed to produce a cooking oil.?
                        >> Anyone actually done this?
                        >>
                        >> Thanks, David

                        Artilleriestr. 6
                        D-27283 Verden