Ash As Firewood (Was: Trees from new shoots/cuttings)

  • Denise4Peace
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 12, 2009
      Please comment on experience with growing, and especially coppicing any/all of the trees mentioned below!

      Ash trees produce numerous suckers and therefore are excellent for coppicing (cutting the tree down close to the ground so that multiple suckers spring up from the stump). Ash is also a good lumber tree--unusual for such a fast-growing tree.

      This year, my husband and I have also discovered that ash is EXCELLENT FIREWOOD! Seasoned, ash seems to catch fire easier than oak and burns almost as long. Both leave little ash behind, reducing the number of times we have to get out the ash bucket and shovel.

      The BTU rating for ash as firewood is among the highest, at 25.9, exceeded only by White Oak and Black Locust (26.5), Hard Maple, aka Sugar or Rock Maple (29.7), Madrone (30) and Hickory (30.8).

      These qualities seem to make ash an excellent Permaculture tree.
      Does anyone have experience or knowledge of how suitable these other trees are for coppicing? Oak, from what I've seen, does not spring back from the root once cut.

      Notes:

      Ash is susceptable to ash borers.

      Black Locust and Madrone are hard to split. Maple is very slow growing (12" height and .2" diameter per year)

      Cottonwood has the lowest rating among trees commonly used for firewood--only 12.2.

      Least recommended: Spruce, Chestnut and Yellow Poplar.

      http://www.thelograck.com/firewood_rating_chart.html
    • Ossi Kakko
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 12, 2009
        give them smoke for 20 minutes. burning alder is great for that, maybe
        mixed with a spice of spruce or juniper.

        ossi kakko
        finland

      • hopkiles@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 12, 2009
          You still take me to sioux city tomorrow afternoon?

          From: "Ossi Kakko" <ossi@...>
          Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 23:24:38 +0200 (EET)
          To: <pfaf@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [pfaf] Saving seeds without fungus, molds, or pests

          give them smoke for 20 minutes. burning alder is great for that, maybe
          mixed with a spice of spruce or juniper.

          ossi kakko
          finland

          > Does anyone have any plant-based formulas to save seeds without fungus,
          > molds, or pests? Any suggestions for drying/preserving seeds in high
          > humidity would be helpful, too.

        • Caroline
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 22, 2009
            Sycamore is supposed to be good for both coppicing and firewood (you must cut in the autumn when the sap has stopped rising and leave to mature until the following winter before using it). About to try it. Have tree that we will be topping in a couple of weeks.

            Rather like sycamore as we are in an exposed windy location near the coast and it grows well around here. (Often considered to be a weed, but if you need vigour, go for a weed.)