Re: [pfaf] trees from new shoots/cuttings

  • Gail Lloyd
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 11, 2009
      this is called air layering.  you can find more info at http://www.mastergardenproducts.com/gardenerscorner/new_page_4.htm
      Gail

      --- On Sun, 11/8/09, Joseph A. Cleary <josepa2@...> wrote:

      From: Joseph A. Cleary <josepa2@...>
      Subject: Re: [pfaf] trees from new shoots/cuttings
      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: "Joseph A. Cleary" <josepa2@...>
      Date: Sunday, November 8, 2009, 1:43 PM

              Dear Patty:
                  Before you cut the shoots off the tree is when you get roots started. You cut into the stalk of the  shoot but not all the way through. You place a toothpick or a small piece of wood in the cut and pack it with wet moss. You tie up both ends with either a twist tie or string around it place a thin piece of plastic to insure that the moss stays put. Every day you wet it until you see roots poking through to the out side. Some use a rooting compound others use wet sand, for me wet moss works best.
                  I'm sure that others will have better ideas than mine.
                  Good Luck.
                  Be Well.
      Shalom, Shalom, Yosef of Ok.
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 11, 2009
        Any tree that has suckers growing up on the ground by the trunk.  For more info, see http://en.allexperts.com/q/Seeding-Propagation-733/tree-propagation-1.htm
        Gail

        From: Gail Lloyd <gardenchick1949@ yahoo.com>
        To: pfaf@yahoogroups. com
        Date: Sunday, November 8, 2009, 4:01 PM

        the suckers of trees are easiest to start a new tree...just dig up with some of the root system & repot.
        Gail

        Can you coppice the tree?  (cut down to trunk stool and let new shoots emerge)? Can you harvest the new shoots and reroot as trees? How do you do this? What trees can you grow from root cuttings? If you harvest in Fall, can you use shoot cuttings instead of seed nuts? Anyone experienced with rooting shoots?

      • Patty Martz
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 12, 2009
          Really, I'm just seeking a general"formula" method. A "Basic Method" that could be applied to most trees (or other plants), with slight modifications for specific varieties that are more complicated.

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 12, 2009
            Does anyone have any plant-based formulas to save seeds without fungus, molds, or pests? Any suggestions for drying/preserving seeds in high humidity would be helpful, too.

          • Denise4Peace
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 12, 2009
              Please comment on experience with growing, and especially coppicing any/all of the trees mentioned below!

              Ash trees produce numerous suckers and therefore are excellent for coppicing (cutting the tree down close to the ground so that multiple suckers spring up from the stump). Ash is also a good lumber tree--unusual for such a fast-growing tree.

              This year, my husband and I have also discovered that ash is EXCELLENT FIREWOOD! Seasoned, ash seems to catch fire easier than oak and burns almost as long. Both leave little ash behind, reducing the number of times we have to get out the ash bucket and shovel.

              The BTU rating for ash as firewood is among the highest, at 25.9, exceeded only by White Oak and Black Locust (26.5), Hard Maple, aka Sugar or Rock Maple (29.7), Madrone (30) and Hickory (30.8).

              These qualities seem to make ash an excellent Permaculture tree.
              Does anyone have experience or knowledge of how suitable these other trees are for coppicing? Oak, from what I've seen, does not spring back from the root once cut.

              Notes:

              Ash is susceptable to ash borers.

              Black Locust and Madrone are hard to split. Maple is very slow growing (12" height and .2" diameter per year)

              Cottonwood has the lowest rating among trees commonly used for firewood--only 12.2.

              Least recommended: Spruce, Chestnut and Yellow Poplar.

              http://www.thelograck.com/firewood_rating_chart.html
            • Ossi Kakko
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 12, 2009
                give them smoke for 20 minutes. burning alder is great for that, maybe
                mixed with a spice of spruce or juniper.

                ossi kakko
                finland

              • hopkiles@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 12, 2009
                  You still take me to sioux city tomorrow afternoon?

                  From: "Ossi Kakko" <ossi@...>
                  Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 23:24:38 +0200 (EET)
                  To: <pfaf@yahoogroups.com>
                  Subject: Re: [pfaf] Saving seeds without fungus, molds, or pests

                  give them smoke for 20 minutes. burning alder is great for that, maybe
                  mixed with a spice of spruce or juniper.

                  ossi kakko
                  finland

                  > Does anyone have any plant-based formulas to save seeds without fungus,
                  > molds, or pests? Any suggestions for drying/preserving seeds in high
                  > humidity would be helpful, too.

                • Caroline
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 22, 2009
                    Sycamore is supposed to be good for both coppicing and firewood (you must cut in the autumn when the sap has stopped rising and leave to mature until the following winter before using it). About to try it. Have tree that we will be topping in a couple of weeks.

                    Rather like sycamore as we are in an exposed windy location near the coast and it grows well around here. (Often considered to be a weed, but if you need vigour, go for a weed.)