Re: [pfaf] Sweet chestnut seeds

  • listenstohorses
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 7, 2009
      Hello Frank and thank you so much for the offer.  I am not sure where you are but I am near branson MO USA.  I am in planting zone 5.  If they would grow here I would sure like to try.

      Cheers,
      jennifer

      --- On Sat, 11/7/09, fran k <frank_bowman@...> wrote:
      Hi. Im looking for peops who want to join me collecting rare swt chestnuts this wk and next.

    • daniel wildman
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 7, 2009
        Hi ludwog: Well here on the Eastcoast of US in PA we have Chestnut, but not sure if they are "sweet", also not sure if I could or would intruduce them into anohter country. there are online seed company i can give you sone site, but let me know what is th latin name for the tree.
        Thank You Dan

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 8, 2009
          Great work Frank - you do seem the tree seed collector extrodinare. That looks like your best source Ludd. I collected quite a lot of sweet chestnut seed this year as it has been a fantastic season for such nuts this year in Kent. I collected the nuts from the best trees...but these nuts were smaller than the seed I got this year from Martin Crawford of ART who has trials of SC of named varieties.
          ...worth checking out, he might have some left. He also had walnuts buy the way. The ones I collected taste good good good! MMMM, one of my favourite foods is sweet chestnut. Now all I need is an airgun to shoot squirrel and I'll have quite a feast! I've just got a *Windy Smithy* stove with oven. I miniture wood burner that is fantastic! Not roasted anything yet...other than potatoes. If you get a WS stove, get him to cut a hole to place pans on the top of the stove - this way you can get heat much quicker from cold start up. (Tell him to make the circle 1 cm larger than the one he did for me I would say)I dont have electricity which is a bummer because that mean limited sounds. Let alone live streaming internt radio. We call it revolution. Sharing, taking pyscotropic drugs, making free telepathic OM LOVE... an stuff.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9j2GI1N_Zg

          Blessings!

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, daniel wildman <spiderman18102@...> wrote:

          > Hi ludwog: Well here on the Eastcoast of US in PA we have Chestnut, but not sure if they are "sweet", also not sure if I could or would intruduce them into anohter country. there are online seed company i can give you sone site, but let me know what is th latin name for the tree.
          > Thank You Dan

        • Sara Elbrai
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 12, 2009
            I thought Branson was zone 6.

            Chinese chestnuts and Chinese hybrid chestnuts wiull grow very easily in southern Missouri.

            Sara

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 12, 2009
              They are sweet. They are largely Chinese, not European.