Sweet chestnut seeds

  • Ludd
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 7, 2009
      Hi every body,

      I'm looking for sweet chestnut nuts.
      To grow into trees in our community of people with learning difficulties

      The trees will live on the east coast of Scotland so any info on
      differences on varieties suitable for this climate is welcome to!

      I can pay for postage!

      Thank you

      Ludwig
    • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 7, 2009
        http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/alaCarth.asp?searchFor=Araucaria

        sorry, we don't accept silver

        Pay by:
        paypal, credit-card, bank transfer, international money order (available from most post-offices) cheques in Euros

        Matt

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 7, 2009
          Hi. Im looking for peops who want to join me collecting rare swt chestnuts this wk and next. The trees these come from fruit without fail every year. Theres an avenue of them. All the others in the town never fruit. So these are gd seeds. If ur to far away , ill send some. Also anyone else in uk want some. Itd be good to get these particular trees going.

          Ive been told theyre unusual for the uk. Cheers frank

          On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 12:23 GMT Ludd wrote:

          >Hi every body,
          >
          >I'm looking for sweet chestnut nuts.
          >To grow into trees in our community of people with learning difficulties
          >
          >The trees will live on the east coast of Scotland so any info on
          >differences on varieties suitable for this climate is welcome to!
          >
          >I can pay for postage!
          >

          >Thank you
          >
          >Ludwig
        • Allmende Verden
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 7, 2009
            I´m afraid the trees have to be grafted to be of the same quality than
            their mothers are. though I´ve heard seedlings doesn´t vary that much
            in chestnuts as they do e.g. in apples.
            Last 3 years we collected good seed from the area, too, for seedlings
            for a hedge. But still of course we don`t have any results concerning
            the fruit-qualitiy.
            From 7 different trees´seeds we had very different germination-success:
            0%
            0%
            0%
            3%
            15%
            41%
            100%
            A big problem here in lower sachsony are late frosts in open
            situations, that e.g. this year were able to kill the young leaves of
            small seedlings several times.
            Greetings from Klaus

            Zitat von fran k <frank_bowman@...>:

            > Hi. Im looking for peops who want to join me collecting rare swt
            > chestnuts this wk and next. The trees these come from fruit without
            > fail every year. Theres an avenue of them. All the others in the
            > town never fruit. So these are gd seeds. If ur to far away , ill
            > send some. Also anyone else in uk want some. Itd be good to get
            > these particular trees going.
            >
            > Ive been told theyre unusual for the uk. Cheers frank
            >
            > On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 12:23 GMT Ludd wrote:
            >
            >> Hi every body,
            >>
            >> I'm looking for sweet chestnut nuts.
            >> To grow into trees in our community of people with learning difficulties
            >>
            >> The trees will live on the east coast of Scotland so any info on
            >> differences on varieties suitable for this climate is welcome to!
            >>
            >> I can pay for postage!
            >>

            >> Thank you
            >>
            >> Ludwig

            Artilleriestr. 6
            D-27283 Verden
            Tel (+49) 4231- 90 50 30
            Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
            http://www.allmende.de.vu
          • fran k
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 7, 2009
              Thanks. Ill have to look that up again. Though if i wasnt absolutely sure the seeds from a swt chestnut produced the same fruitful tree as grafts do to, i definitely wouldnt have said that as I wouldnt want to be not precise so ill look it up. Thanks again. Frank

              Allmende Verden wrote:

              > I´m afraid the trees have to be grafted to be of the same quality than
              > their mothers are. though I´ve heard seedlings doesn´t vary that much
              > in chestnuts as they do e.g. in apples.
              > Last 3 years we collected good seed from the area, too, for seedlings
              > for a hedge. But still of course we don`t have any results concerning
              > the fruit-qualitiy.
              > From 7 different trees´seeds we had very different germination- success:
              > 0%
              > 0%
              > 0%
              > 3%
              > 15%
              > 41%
              > 100%
              > A big problem here in lower sachsony are late frosts in open
              > situations, that e.g. this year were able to kill the young leaves of
              > small seedlings several times.
              > Greetings from Klaus
              > Zitat von fran k < frank_bowman@ yahoo.co. uk >:
              >> Hi. Im looking for peops who want to join me collecting rare swt
              >> chestnuts this wk and next. The trees these come from fruit without
              >> fail every year. Theres an avenue of them. All the others in the
              >> town never fruit. So these are gd seeds. If ur to far away , ill
              >> send some. Also anyone else in uk want some. Itd be good to get
              >> these particular trees going.
              >>
              >> Ive been told theyre unusual for the uk. Cheers frank
              >>
              >> On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 12:23 GMT Ludd wrote:
              >>
              >>> Hi every body,
              >>>
              >>> I'm looking for sweet chestnut nuts.
              >>> To grow into trees in our community of people with learning difficulties
              >>>
              >>> The trees will live on the east coast of Scotland so any info on
              >>> differences on varieties suitable for this climate is welcome to!
              >>>
              >>> I can pay for postage!
              >>>

              >>> Thank you
              >>>
              >>> Ludwig
              >>

              > Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftli cher Permakulturgarten für Verden
              > Artilleriestr. 6
              > D-27283 Verden
              > Tel (+49) 4231- 90 50 30
              > Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
              > http://www.allmende .de.vu
              > Wir bieten Praktika und freiwilliges ökologisches Jahr.

            • listenstohorses
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 7, 2009
                Hello Frank and thank you so much for the offer.  I am not sure where you are but I am near branson MO USA.  I am in planting zone 5.  If they would grow here I would sure like to try.

                Cheers,
                jennifer

                --- On Sat, 11/7/09, fran k <frank_bowman@...> wrote:
                Hi. Im looking for peops who want to join me collecting rare swt chestnuts this wk and next.

              • daniel wildman
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 7, 2009
                  Hi ludwog: Well here on the Eastcoast of US in PA we have Chestnut, but not sure if they are "sweet", also not sure if I could or would intruduce them into anohter country. there are online seed company i can give you sone site, but let me know what is th latin name for the tree.
                  Thank You Dan

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 8, 2009
                    Great work Frank - you do seem the tree seed collector extrodinare. That looks like your best source Ludd. I collected quite a lot of sweet chestnut seed this year as it has been a fantastic season for such nuts this year in Kent. I collected the nuts from the best trees...but these nuts were smaller than the seed I got this year from Martin Crawford of ART who has trials of SC of named varieties.
                    ...worth checking out, he might have some left. He also had walnuts buy the way. The ones I collected taste good good good! MMMM, one of my favourite foods is sweet chestnut. Now all I need is an airgun to shoot squirrel and I'll have quite a feast! I've just got a *Windy Smithy* stove with oven. I miniture wood burner that is fantastic! Not roasted anything yet...other than potatoes. If you get a WS stove, get him to cut a hole to place pans on the top of the stove - this way you can get heat much quicker from cold start up. (Tell him to make the circle 1 cm larger than the one he did for me I would say)I dont have electricity which is a bummer because that mean limited sounds. Let alone live streaming internt radio. We call it revolution. Sharing, taking pyscotropic drugs, making free telepathic OM LOVE... an stuff.

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9j2GI1N_Zg

                    Blessings!

                    --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, daniel wildman <spiderman18102@...> wrote:

                    > Hi ludwog: Well here on the Eastcoast of US in PA we have Chestnut, but not sure if they are "sweet", also not sure if I could or would intruduce them into anohter country. there are online seed company i can give you sone site, but let me know what is th latin name for the tree.
                    > Thank You Dan

                  • Sara Elbrai
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 12, 2009
                      I thought Branson was zone 6.

                      Chinese chestnuts and Chinese hybrid chestnuts wiull grow very easily in southern Missouri.

                      Sara

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 12, 2009
                        They are sweet. They are largely Chinese, not European.