[Fwd: Aquilegia vulgaris]

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2004
      Hi Folks,
      Anyone know more about this?

      Rich

      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: Aquilegia vulgaris
      Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 19:29:39 -0600
      From: Andrea_Lampert@...
      To: webmaster@...

      Hello,

      I have a question. Under Known Hazards for Aquilegia vulgaris, you
      indicate "The plant is poisonous though the toxins are destroyed by heat or
      by drying[7, 19]. Although this plant contains alkaloids, no cases of
      poisoning to humans or other mammals have been recorded[76]." Under Edible
      Uses you state "Flowers - raw. Rich in nectar, they are sweet and
      delightful[172], they make a very attractive addition to mixed salads and
      can also be used as a thirst-quenching munch in the garden[K]," with no
      mention of drying or heating the flowers. Are the raw flowers of this or
      most columbines actually safe to eat? I am desperately looking for edible
      flowers for my shade filled yard. I am in USDA zone 4.

      Thank you,
      Andrea Lampert

      --
      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants