Every year I try to harvest black walnuts

  • charfair fairchar
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 27, 2009
      The squirrels can open them, but I have not been able to eat them or open them.

      I get the outer skin off and then my hands are black for weeks.
      I use my walnut cracker and they are cracked in little pieces because they are still too green.
      So I need to let them dry out much longer.

      --
      Charlotte Fairchild
      Fear Thou Not,
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 27, 2009
        I gather walnuts when they fall from the tree and spread them outside where I will drive over them with the car whenever I come and go.  The hulls will turn black and soften and be rubbed off, and the nuts will ripen and dry.  When most of the hulls are gone, I bring the nuts inside for further drying.  - Sam in WV, USA

      • merryanne1947
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 27, 2009
          Hello Mr. Norris,,,about your problem with Black Walnuts,,I have a few suggestion,,I am not sure that it will work BUT: If you want to try you might use the same process that is used in shelling peas and butter beans --the tumbling drum thing-by letting the nuts Knock off there on hulls..Also to crack them you can use a vice and squeeze them to crack,,it is a slow go..one at a time, But it does crack them open, you can make a drum(does not have to be round) that you use a hand crank to turn it over and over your self, if you are mechanical,,I don't know how to build things, so I am no help there. But, it has been about 40 years since I have had any black walnuts,,I do like to bake with them. Please let me know if it works. I would like to get a few from you also.
        • Cyndee
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 28, 2009
            Mother Earth News had a little article a long time ago, and one guy said he put the nuts on his gravel driveway and drove back and forth over them with his truck -- slowly and carefully.

            When I was a kid, my father tried soaking them about a week, and then having at them with gloves on. This is for the outer shell, of course -- cracking them open was done with a hammer.

            Good luck!

            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "merryanne1947" <merryanne1947@...> wrote:

            > Hello Mr. Norris,,,about your problem with Black Walnuts,,I have a few suggestion,,I am not sure that it will work BUT: If you want to try you might use the same process that is used in shelling peas and butter beans --the tumbling drum thing-by letting the nuts Knock off there on hulls..Also to crack them you can use a vice and squeeze them to crack,,it is a slow go..one at a time, But it does crack them open, you can make a drum(does not have to be round) that you use a hand crank to turn it over and over your self, if you are mechanical,,I don't know how to build things, so I am no help there. But, it has been about 40 years since I have had any black walnuts,,I do like to bake with them. Please let me know if it works. I would like to get a few from you also.

          • Patty Martz
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 28, 2009
              Black Walnut.
              uses:
              GREEN HULLS.
              Medicinal: Parasites. Historically, Native American cure for Cancer. They taste like turpentine. (Do research for protocol to avoid Herxheimer reaction)
              Natural Dye:  Varied shade depending on how Green. Wool, Easter eggs, fabric, paper.
              BLACK HULLS.
              Natural dye: Dark Brown "walnut" dye, ink, or wood stain.
              I let hulls turn black, shell into bucket. Then boil in pot of water. Can. Vinegar may be added. I just use this tea on floor. Nice stain. May help protect wood and kill critters in cracks. Apply multiple coats over time.
              NUT MEAT.
              Eat. Very strong flavor. Only need about 1/4 of nuts called for in walnut recipes.
              Oil. Boil, press, and strain. 4 pounds = approx. one quart.

            • Gail Lloyd
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 28, 2009
                Here's a website that gives a few more ideas for cracking black walnut shells
                Gail

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 28, 2009
                  You can find the recipe for Black Walnut Hull Tincture (for cleansing parasites) at http://www.topicalinfo.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53
                  Gail

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 28, 2009
                    Dumping them in my drive worked fine for me, there was plenty for myself and the squirrls.  I used close to where I normally park, so there I guess is the slow and careful, parking.  My drive was gravel, dirt, grass.  Much like the one I have now.  Let them dry in the sun and even get rained on.  if they do get rained on let them again dry in the sun before picking them up.  They will be nicly dehulled after a few days.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Joseph A. Cleary
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 28, 2009
                              Dear Merry Anne:
                                  I remember the black walnut experience also.
                                  My dear late mother had my brother and I cracking the nuts and stripping the outer hulls off too.
                                  She wanted two full cups of the nut meat for a cake.
                                  We went through about one hundred pounds of the nuts just to get what she wanted. Just like Mr. Norris we too had the blackened hands. I tried extra strong chlorine bleach on my hands it did get some of it off but it mostly had to just wear off.
                                  Good luck and be well.
                      Shalom, Shalom, Yosef of Ok.
                      Hello Mr. Norris,,,about your problem with Black Walnuts,,I have a few suggestion,, I am not sure that it will work BUT: If you want to try you might use the same process that is used in shelling peas and butter beans --the tumbling drum thing-by letting the nuts Knock off there on hulls..Also to crack them you can use a vice and squeeze them to crack,,it is a slow go..one at a time, But it does crack them open, you can make a drum(does not have to be round) that you use a hand crank to turn it over and over your self, if you are mechanical,, I don't know how to build things, so I am no help there. But, it has been about 40 years since I have had any black walnuts,,I do like to bake with them. Please let me know if it works. I would like to get a few from you also.

                    • ryborgryborg268
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 29, 2009
                        You must eat them fresh not dry Charlotte.

                        ...they taste the best that way.

                        All the best

                        Jim