a few edibility queries

  • Francesca Beamish
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 2009
      hello. i am in the process of harvesting my runner bean seeds for eating. i understand they need hard boiling similar to kidney beans.

      can it be assumed that all seeds from pods grown for eating are edible?

      similarly are all brassica leaves edible - i save seeds so have a range of hybrids! and i eat them all even the purple broc leaves. (without thinking about what they may have hybridised with)

      and kalonji seeds- are all allium seeds edible. which 'onion' is kalonji from?
      thanks very much
      Cesca
    • Griselda Mussett
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 27, 2009
        runner beans in england normally harvested cooked and eaten in the pod - sliced to smaller proportions if you like, lightly boiled or steamed.  can be eaten raw.

        if the beans have hardened, you can pod them and may have to cook them longer - try and see

        the whole thing is edible, though you may have 'strings' along the edges of the pod which can be easily pulled off and discarded as they are very tough.

        delicious!  bon appetit!

        griselda

        On 26 Oct 2009, at 22:42, Francesca Beamish wrote:

        hello. i am in the process of harvesting my runner bean seeds for eating. i understand they need hard boiling similar to kidney beans.

        can it be assumed that all seeds from pods grown for eating are edible?

        similarly are all brassica leaves edible - i save seeds so have a range of hybrids! and i eat them all even the purple broc leaves. (without thinking about what they may have hybridised with)

        and kalonji seeds- are all allium seeds edible. which 'onion' is kalonji from?
        thanks very much
        Cesca

        The news isn't that fruits and vegetables are good for you ~ it's that they are so good for you they could save your life.
                               By David Bjerklie, TIME Magazine, October 20, 2003
        Juice PLUS+ Capsules contain 17 fruits, vegetables, oats and grains. The ingredients are applescranberriesdatesorangespapayapeachespineapplesbeetsbroccolicarrotscabbagekaletomatoesparsleygarlicspinachrice bran (no gluten), and oats (no gluten).
        and ~ NEW Juice PLUS+ Vineyard Blend adds BlueberriesCranberries, Concorde Grape, BlackberriesBilberries, Grape Seed, Raspberry, Elderberries, Red Currants, and Black Currants.
        Check it out www.takejuiceplus.co.uk

      • Sam Norris
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 27, 2009
          I always save excess mature seeds of "green beans" or "snap beans" and dry them to cook like any other dry bean.  I mix various kinds together, and these mixtures are generally delicious.  As for brassicas, I eat the leaves of any, domestic and wild.  I'm not familiar with kalonji.  - Sam in WV, USA