Re: Stevia

  • nerdnooky
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 20, 2009
      Best way to germinate tropicals is by poly bag on top the fridge. This never lets me down. Stevia doesn't need light until germination, but it does need warmth.

      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 12, 2016
        I have just harvested some Stevia,
        for winter use I have dried it in a dehydrator,  and will keep it in a airtight jar..

        Anyone ave suggestions for use / application of dried Stevia ?

        Geir Flatabø
      • Javier Cosp Fontclara
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 12, 2016

          Stevia is originally from my country (Paraguay). We call it "kaa hee" ("sweet plant" in guaraní language).

          You can use it to make tea or mix with another kind of tea to make it sweet. (instead of sugar).

          Javier Cosp

          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 12, 2016
            What is your opinion of it? Some sweeteners (maybe artificial) can trick your brain thinking you've had sugar , and sends signals from the brain to release insulin , building to diabetes over long term us.

            (I saw it about other types of sweeteners !!!
             so I am not trying to scare anyone
            Just am Asking if there are any bad effects using in large doses
            or over a period of time .

            (I sold a bunch for cheap I also learned after selling it Agave (sugar what's makes  Tequlia ) is easier to handle if people have problems with sugar
            or diabetes.
          • Javier Cosp Fontclara
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 12, 2016

              I dont like the taste, so I dont use it very much, but it is suppose to be the healthiest sweetener.

              Javier

              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 12, 2016

                Every make of it taste different

                nova

              • frank@frankwoolf.com

                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 12, 2016
                    Hi please.
                    Thank you very much your mail. Am grower and supplier of exotic
                    vegetables and herbs. Can you possible some sample stiva please.
                    Best regards
                    kalidasan

                    On 10/13/16, 'frank@...' frank@... [pfaf]
                    <pfaf@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                    > Stevia is 100% safe unlike sugar, Aspartame, etc.
                    >

                    > Frank
                    >

                    >> On 12 Oct 2016, at 11:21 PM, manofpeace32@... [pfaf]
                    >> <pfaf@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> What is your opinion of it? Some sweeteners (maybe artificial) can trick
                    >> your brain thinking you've had sugar , and sends signals from the brain to
                    >> release insulin , building to diabetes over long term us.
                    >>

                    >> (I saw it about other types of sweeteners !!!
                    >> so I am not trying to scare anyone
                    >> Just am Asking if there are any bad effects using in large doses
                    >> or over a period of time .
                    >>
                    >> (I sold a bunch for cheap I also learned after selling it Agave (sugar
                    >> what's makes Tequlia ) is easier to handle if people have problems with
                    >> sugar
                    >> or diabetes.

                  • manofpeace32
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 13, 2016
                      Well I can't argue if you grow it yourself
                      if you look into commercial stevia some of the brands are not good
                      Some deceptive labeling.
                       read up on (google) those brands you buy at least.

                      Unrelated , to stevia , but about labeling
                      Even Birch Sugar Xylitol can be mass produced from GM corn.
                      and mention how it's a sugar that comes from birch tree's
                      (that's half true their sugar isn't from Birch)
                    • Annalisa Balestrino

                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 18, 2016
                          jenniferpittet I wonder If yuor related on My Moms side (Moors) In Anyway
                          I think you will be fine getting a harvest Some Herbal store people just threw some on the ground, and covered with straw to suppress the weeds with their Tomatoes No work, Near (Chiago(land)  (and  the dreary UK member here)I harvested some Early Just ate it Whole In my eggs (I was On a bike ride) --(and also ate the entire seed top)

                          I know if I grow some (a completely different type of plants) Now in October
                          They might grow big at the end of this season to force the plant to flower
                          I think for that (different) species the days getting Shorter
                          it would force it to go to seed as well
                          (but at least started at the beginning of your season)

                          (if you get the Pig weed type that may become invasive
                          I may post some experimenting cooking with that ... Chickens would like it)
                          I also like the Amaranth that the leaves are sour as a (snack) Vegetable..
                        • manofpeace32
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 19, 2016
                            Anyone seen the cultivar Amaranth tricolor known as tampalatandaljo or tandalja  bhaji in India
                            Amaranthus tricolor - Wikipedia