Landfill planting restoration

  • Matteo Mazzola
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2009
      Hi guys,
      I'm working on a WWF project, the idea is to estabilish a small forest on an old landfill (closed in the '70s). There are 4/5 m of (quite bad) soil above the protecting sheet. The soil surface in some places is bare and compact in others places is covered or partially covered by Cardoons, Artemisia's species, some perennial grasses (just lately grown), a lot of potentilla reptans and few other species of annual plants. Is a quite heavy and unfertile soil and in some areas is very compact resulting negative in water absorption; in different point it is easy to see strong erosion due to the incapacity of absorbing water by the soil.
      The winters are pretty cold and humid (lowest average temperature is about -2/3 ° C with peaks of -10°C) and the summers are quite hot (an average of 30/35° in the summer months). We get about 1000mm of rain per year with short periods of drought ( quite casual ) mostly in July/August.

      I'm planning what kind of trees and shrubs could grow and in wich way I could mix and place them in those conditions. I've some ideas but I like the idea to hear other points of view.
      My idea is to work the soil with a ripper on contour lines (to enhance water absorbion and reduce water erosion) to get deep rooting systems as fast as possible. While rippering I would sow native grasses mixes together with some tree and shrub seeds. Then  I would plant the trees and shrub miming local natural layouts.

      This place is in North Italy just below Alps in the flat Padana and the native trees are mostly the same than those european temperate zone trees (Hazelnut, Robinia Pseudoacacia (naturalized), Elm, Oak, Ash, Hawthorn, Birch,etc..) The landfill hill is about 3/4 ha and the slopes have a gradient between 10° and more than 45°.

      So! What would you do in this case?!?!

      Thanks!!!!!

      Matteo

    • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2009
        Here are a couple of lists

        Land Reclamation:
        http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/aleCat.asp?title=*Land%20Reclamation%20Plant%20%20%20Shrub%20and%20Tree%20List&list=173

        Erosion control:
        http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/aleCat.asp?title=*Erosion%20Control%20Plant%20Seed%20List&list=98

        I agree, it is best to choose plants that grow locally anyway, there are quite a few south European plants in these lists.

        Good luck,
        Matthew

        Matthew Sleigh
        P-2, North Poblacion
        Don Carlos, Bukidnon
        8712
        Philippines

        Matthew Sleigh
        B and T World Seeds
        Paguignan
        34210 Aigues-Vives
        France
        matthew@...
        http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/
        fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39

[...]

      • subrata chakraborty
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2009
          Dear Dada

          Your idea is absolutely right.But as you want to make it a
          forest,see to it that you select plants native to that area.As the fauna has to live on them.
          We have to make their life easier.

          regards

          subrata

          Dr S Chakraborty
          Chief Medical Officer(SG)
          BSF Sector Hospital Kolkata
          Tagorevilla. Alambazar.
          Kolkata 700035
          09433863045/033 25789128

          On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Matteo Mazzola <silvanelfo@...> wrote:

[...]

        • ambyagro
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 11, 2009
            Hello Mateo.We can recommend to you Vetiveria zizanioides that has fast growth, larger roots and clean the soil of polutants. Besides provides an efficient Erosion Control.This plant is sowed in contour lines for best success.
            If is possible please send to me a copy of your project. I live in Barranquilla, Colombia and I am a Vetiveria grower since 1990. Regards
            OCTAVIO TORRES, Agronomist
            ambyagroltd@...