Boosting Your Immune System

  • LA Hopkins
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 14, 2003

      The flu season is amongst us, we are fighting hepatitis A in Pennsylvania from imported produce from Mexico , and our immune systems are at lower levels than they should be.  The flu  has been around since the beginning of time but only the last five or so years have we been focusing on the importance of flu shots in elderly and young children.  Why?  This is where are immune systems are the lowest.  Fact, the average person is not severely put in danger from the flu.  Why does our country continue to take risks by importing produce from countries that do not maintain quality standards?  What are we to do?

      What can we do?  First improve your immune system, second stay away from restaurants that use imported produce to lower their costs only to pass disease to a unsuspecting public.  I guess it is like insurance, sure you pay more for organic produce but you don�t have to worry about the diseases that come from poorly produced produce.  Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Chi Chi's and other restaurants in PA purposely took risks.  I am saying they are substituting quality for price and the end result is the nightmare we all now face.

      To boost your immune system you need to increase your selenium intake.  Selenium is the source your body needs to make antibodies.  Eating organically helps to maximize trace elements your body needs including selenium and reduces exposure to agrochemicals such as pesticides that may affect immune function.

      Of course we all know what our doctors tell us, avoid cigarettes, avoid stress, exercise regularly, get at least eight hours of sleep, incorporate Probiotics into your diet, and take your vitamins.  Some of this is extremely hard for some of us and not accomplished by a large percent of the population.  Something we can all do is choose our food.

      Increase your immune system by snacking on fresh fruits and vegetables throughout the day.  The result is you will boost your immune system and you will eat less at meals.  You should consume five servings of fresh fruits and vegetables in a day.  Cherries, strawberries, grapes and yellow-to-orange fruits and vegetables such as carrots and oranges increase and lastly DARK green vegetables increase phytochemicals in your system.  Hey seriously try to prove me wrong?  Try this and you will see pounds shed, energy increase and feel stronger as your immune system gets stronger.

      Beef it up a little!  Just getting over a cold, flu, or people all around you sick.  Consume Brazil nuts as they are extremely high in selenium.  Cook oily fish instead of chicken or beef for meals.  Salmon, Mackerel, Herring, and Sardines are great for this.  Excellent for the budget too.  If you fish you most likely will not have to buy some as most fisherman have a nice stock in the freezer.  However, whole Salmon can be bought most places fairly cheaply.  For roughly five dollars her in South Dakota we get a whole Salmon that easily has ten servings.    If you are allergic to fish or fish oils or plain and simple can not stand fish you can supplement by taking an Omega-3 supplement or my favorite, Primrose oil capsules.

      Continue boosting your immune system by eating Shiitake mushrooms.  They are awesome on steak or in salads and most people can grow their own supply easily.  The moment you begin to feel that scratchy feeling in your throat increase your zinc intake.  Don�t forget your herbs.  Herbs are not only excellent sources of flavoring they provide many benefits.  Astragalus can be grown very easily and is an adaptogen with antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal actions that can be used to treat and prevent respiratory infections.  Many studies have also shown that it improves the immune function  extraordinarily.   Black elderberry which may be a little harder to get in some areas but can always be found at a GNC or online store contains natural antiviral substances that reduce the severity and duration of the common cold and flu.

      Garlic an all time favorite of mine.  Easy to grow and easy to store has a natural antiseptic, antibacterial and antiviral action.  Garlic is also a natural blood purifier, reduces cholesterol and assists in high blood pressure.  Garlic is most beneficial when taken raw.  Cut up in a salad or simply just chop up a few cloves and swallow with a glass of water.  If you have the money you can always purchase garlic tablets and non smelling garlic tablets from a health store.  I always will recommend it how mother nature intended it though.

      Honey, another favorite, has Propolis  which is a natural antiseptic produced by honey bees that contains bioflavonoids that help to maintain a healthy immune system.  In winter drink lots of tea and supplement honey for sugar in all recipes that you can.

      Lastly we have the over-advertised Echinacea.  An excellent herb if you find yourself in a bind.  I am going to repeat that so there is an emphasis on ONLY IF YOU ARE IN A BIND.  Echinacea is an excellent source to boost the general immunity against respiratory and other infections by increasing the number and activity of white blood cells in your body.  If you find yourself surrounded by people getting sick and you know you have neglected your immune system and chances are really high that you are next on mother natures list you can take Echinacea.  Echinacea is only taken in two week intervals.  If you take Echinacea longer than two weeks your body will develop a resistance making it very ineffective.  I always recommend the consultation of a physician before taking Echinacea.  This is a fine line, to boost your immune system when you absolutely need it but if you over do it, it wont help you.

      In conclusion if you find yourself suffering from viral infections such as cold sores often or yeast infections recent study shows your iron is too low.  Depleted iron stores that are not quite low enough to cause anemia are linked to recurrent thrush and the herpes simplex  cold sore virus.  These are also lacking in selenium, high selenium levels interfere with the virus's ability to reproduce.

      Would you like to receive our newsletter?  email us at organic@...

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Hilary Robinson
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 14, 2003
        Can I have a translation please?
        Where I come from, being "in a bind" means being in a no-win situation.

        >Lastly we have the over-advertised Echinacea. An excellent herb if you
        >find yourself in a bind. I am going to repeat that so there is an emphasis
        >on ONLY IF YOU ARE IN A BIND.

        BTW, your mailing reads to me as though you are trying to sell something -
        is this the case?

        Regards, Hilary Robinson
        Cheshire, England

      • Richard Morris
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 15, 2003
          How does the list feel about commercial adverts
          we recently had a post from 1888Orchids.com
          selling their wares, this has been rejected.

          Would people in general like to see commercial posts?
          Should a distinction be made for permaculture projects
          and the like?

          Rich
          --
          Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
          Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 15, 2003
            Echinacea is a herb that is used at the first sign that you are developing a cold.  You should not use it if you are pregnant and due to people being different my resources show some people may develop a resistance to it after 2 weeks and some after 8 weeks.  Therefore before taking Echinacea you should consult your doctor.

            No, I am not selling anything.  I write in my spare time and do some research on herbs that we grow.  I have a newsletter and do not post everything in the newsletter some of the stuff I post we have also posted on our website.  However, some thought that because we do sell things on our website that it was innappropriate to refer to the website for further information.  Because I do not believe in spam I offer an invitation to receive my newsletter.  There is absolutely nothing sold in the newsletter nor does the newsletter contain advertisements.  It is simply articles just as this one.

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 15, 2003
              OK.
              But what I was asking is, what do you mean by "in a bind"?
              Regards, Hilary

              >From: LA Hopkins <hopkiles@...>
              >To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: RE: [pfaf] Boosting Your Immune System
              >Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:26:24 -0800 (PST)
              >
              >Echinacea is a herb that is used at the first sign that you are developing
              >a cold. You should not use it if you are pregnant and due to people being
              >different my resources show some people may develop a resistance to it
              >after 2 weeks and some after 8 weeks. Therefore before taking Echinacea
              >you should consult your doctor.
              >
              >No, I am not selling anything. I write in my spare time and do some
              >research on herbs that we grow. I have a newsletter and do not post
              >everything in the newsletter some of the stuff I post we have also posted
              >on our website. However, some thought that because we do sell things on
              >our website that it was innappropriate to refer to the website for further
              >information. Because I do not believe in spam I offer an invitation to
              >receive my newsletter. There is absolutely nothing sold in the newsletter
              >nor does the newsletter contain advertisements. It is simply articles just
              >as this one.
              >
              >Hilary Robinson <hilrobinson@...> wrote:
              >Can I have a translation please?
              >Where I come from, being "in a bind" means being in a no-win situation.
              >
              > >Lastly we have the over-advertised Echinacea. An excellent herb if you
              > >find yourself in a bind. I am going to repeat that so there is an
              >emphasis
              > >on ONLY IF YOU ARE IN A BIND.
              >
              >BTW, your mailing reads to me as though you are trying to sell something -
              >is this the case?
              >
              >Regards, Hilary Robinson
              >Cheshire, England

              >New Yahoo! Photos - easier uploading and sharing

              http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
            • Hilary Robinson
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 15, 2003
                I'd be happy to see Permaculture projects etc advertised occasionally, as
                that would be informative and useful. Maybe even organic nurseries etc. But
                not keen on "ordinary" commercial stuff.
                Regards, Hilary

                >From: Richard Morris <webmaster@...>
                >To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [pfaf] Boosting Your Immune System
                >Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:50:20 +0000
                >
                >How does the list feel about commercial adverts
                >we recently had a post from 1888Orchids.com
                >selling their wares, this has been rejected.
                >
                >Would people in general like to see commercial posts?
                >Should a distinction be made for permaculture projects
                >and the like?
                >
                > Rich
                >--

                http://www.msn.co.uk/internetaccess
              • Maggie Wallace
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 15, 2003
                  > Would people in general like to see commercial posts?
                  > Should a distinction be made for permaculture projects
                  > and the like?

                  I really don't want to see commercial posts on this List - I get enough
                  spam already!

                  Maggie Wallace
                • LA Hopkins
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 15, 2003
                    Your surrounded by people that are coming down with a cold and no matter what you do you feel yourself starting to get sick.  You've tried everything that you know getting sleep, taking iron, taking zinc, ect.

                    Hilary Robinson <hilrobinson@...> wrote:
                    OK.
                    But what I was asking is, what do you mean by "in a bind"?
                    Regards, Hilary

                    >From: LA Hopkins <hopkiles@...>
                    >To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: RE: [pfaf] Boosting Your Immune System
                    >Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:26:24 -0800 (PST)
                    >
                    >Echinacea is a herb that is used at the first sign that you are developing
                    >a cold.  You should not use it if you are pregnant and due to people being
                    >different my resources show some people may develop a resistance to it
                    >after 2 weeks and some after 8 weeks.  Therefore before taking Echinacea
                    >you should consult your doctor.
                    >
                    >No, I am not selling anything.  I write in my spare time and do some
                    >research on herbs that we grow.  I have a newsletter and do not post
                    >everything in the newsletter some of the stuff I post we have also posted
                    >on our website.  However, some thought that because we do sell things on
                    >our website that it was innappropriate to refer to the website for further
                    >information.  Because I do not believe in spam I offer an invitation to
                    >receive my newsletter.  There is absolutely nothing sold in the newsletter
                    >nor does the newsletter contain advertisements.  It is simply articles just
                    >as this one.
                    >
                    >Hilary Robinson <hilrobinson@...> wrote:
                    >Can I have a translation please?
                    >Where I come from, being "in a bind" means being in a no-win situation.
                    >
                    > >Lastly we have the over-advertised Echinacea.  An excellent herb if you
                    > >find yourself in a bind.  I am going to repeat that so there is an
                    >emphasis
                    > >on ONLY IF YOU ARE IN A BIND.
                    >
                    >BTW, your mailing reads to me as though you are trying to sell something -
                    >is this the case?
                    >
                    >Regards, Hilary Robinson
                    >Cheshire, England

                    >New Yahoo! Photos - easier uploading and sharing

                    http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    click here

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • Lisa Cole
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 16, 2003
                      I have had enough of the off topic posts clogging up
                      my inbox.

                      bye

                      Lisa

                      BT Yahoo! Broadband - Save £80 when you order online today. Hurry! Offer ends 21st December 2003. The way the internet was meant to be. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=21064/*http://btyahoo.yahoo.co.uk