Re: [pfaf] Re: PFAF not working

  • Richard Knott
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 23, 2009
      This seems to happen towards the end of the month, presumably dependant on the number of hits the site has received so far. The site owner is not paying enough to the host. This is a great shame and would be even worse if the site stopped working altogether. The Ferns were planning to move abroad. Did that happen and if so is anyone looking after the site now?

      Rich

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 24, 2009
        Any ideas what is this about ?

        if someone would like to close down pfaf,
        i would suspect those guys:

        http://www.gmo-compass.org/eng/news/stories/177.plants_future_research_agenda_2025.html

        http://www.epsoweb.org/Catalog/TP/

        ossi

        > PFAF database site is not working again. Even when googled, every click
        > takes you to some site called web-maria.com, a company selling hard
        > drives. What gives? This is the second time I've encountered this
        > problem. Who has something against PFAF?

      • mIEKAL aND
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 26, 2009
          It works for me.

          On Sep 23, 2009, at 6:11 AM, Richard Knott wrote:

          > This seems to happen towards the end of the month, presumably
          > dependant on the number of hits the site has received so far. The
          > site owner is not paying enough to the host. This is a great shame
          > and would be even worse if the site stopped working altogether. The
          > Ferns were planning to move abroad. Did that happen and if so is
          > anyone looking after the site now?
          >
          > Rich
        • nerdnooky
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 26, 2009
            Well, aren't you special! Good for you! Me, too.

            On another note, someone mentioned not calling "weeds" weeds, because of the negative connotation. There's really few plants that are not useful for anything. Came across an interesting re-ID. "Field herbs". Works for me!

            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@...> wrote:

            > It works for me.
            >
            > On Sep 23, 2009, at 6:11 AM, Richard Knott wrote:
            >

            > > This seems to happen towards the end of the month, presumably
            > > dependant on the number of hits the site has received so far. The
            > > site owner is not paying enough to the host. This is a great shame
            > > and would be even worse if the site stopped working altogether. The
            > > Ferns were planning to move abroad. Did that happen and if so is
            > > anyone looking after the site now?
            > >
            > > Rich

          • nerdnooky
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 26, 2009
              > On Sep 23, 2009, at 6:11 AM, Richard Knott wrote:
              > The Ferns were planning to move abroad. Did that happen and if so is
              > > anyone looking after the site now?

              Anyone also know what area they were to be moving to?
            • nerdnooky
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 26, 2009
                I've noticed this also. Happening at the end of the months. It's done it before, but have always gotten on at the beginning of the month. Never knew why, tho. Are they not meeting their bills? This is a nonprofit site, and would really appreciate more donations, most likely. How many of us are guilty of extensive PFAF use, but no monetary contributions?

                Why are the Ferns moving abroad, and where were they going to go? First I've heard about this. Don't tell me office politics have invaded PFAF--again?! If it is euro GMO politics.... sigh, indeed.

                --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Richard Knott <richard_knott2003@...> wrote:

                > This seems to happen towards the end of the month, presumably dependant on the number of hits the site has received so far. The site owner is not paying enough to the host. This is a great shame and would be even worse if the site stopped working altogether. The Ferns were planning to move abroad. Did that happen and if so is anyone looking after the site now?
                >
                > Rich

              • Rich
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 26, 2009
                  --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Richard Knott <richard_knott2003@...> wrote:

                  > This seems to happen towards the end of the month, presumably dependant on the number of hits the site has received so far. The site owner is not paying enough to the host. This is a great shame and would be even worse if the site stopped working altogether. The Ferns were planning to move abroad. Did that happen and if so is anyone looking after the site now?

                  Yes it has been happening towards the end of a month. We have a monthly quota from our webhost which is a bit less than we use so we have to buy extra quota on a regular basis. Unfortunately our lines of communication are not the best and it takes a few days for the guy who pays the bills to buy the extra quota.

                  We are on the lookout for another webhost at the moment. We looking for a preferably green/eco-host which can host mysql and php 20GB data-transfer, 1GB database. If anyone has any suggestions we would love to hear from you.