Re: [pfaf] Ground cover

  • listenstohorses
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 23 8:16 AM

      kudzu is invasive.  My horses and goats love it but I can not bring any with me.

      --- On Wed, 9/23/09, charfair fairchar <FertilityFair@...> wrote:

      Most continents have kudzu now. China has less than the US because it hasn't recovered since the great change when China became industrialized and perhaps 30 million or more people starved to death in the last century.

    • nerdnooky
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 25 8:48 PM
        Another reason why it's not as prevalent in China is, its known as a healthy green veg, and they enjoy eating it in large quanties. Eaten out of existance, perhaps? Wonder what they think of our famed online pic of the TN house that kudzu ate? What a waste of good veg?

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, charfair fairchar <FertilityFair@...> wrote:

        > Most continents have kudzu now. China has less than the US because it hasn't
        > recovered since the great change when China became industrialized and
        > perhaps 30 million or more people starved to death in the last century.
        > It is related to snow peas and soybeans and is a famine food.
      • listenstohorses
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 26 5:50 AM
          I think it a lovely plant that my animals love to eat...I would bring it from Alabama to Missouri if I could convince my other half that it wouldn't get away from me...maybe it is too cold here anyway.

          Do you know how one prepares it for human consunption?

        • Carol
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 26 8:02 AM
            I actually got a kudzu cookbook from amazon.com last year-
            has all kinds of recipes from wine to veggie dishes to
            using the vines for crafts, etc. Amazingly useful plant.

            Carol Monroe

            Nature doesn't judge. It's pure love, pure being, perfectly in the moment because it's not thinking all the time. Such is the nature of enlightenment. Isha Judd

            I think it a lovely plant that my animals love to eat...I would bring it from Alabama to Missouri if I could convince my other half that it wouldn't get away from me...maybe it is too cold here anyway.

            Do you know how one prepares it for human consunption?

          • Fenris
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 26 8:43 AM
              Does it have seeds and could you post any?

              --
              Fenris Wolf

              RSPCA-Animadversion
              http://cheetah.webtribe.net/~animadversion/

              SHG
              http://the-shg.org

              RSPCA Injustice Blog
              http://www.rspcainjustice.blogspot.com/

            • ryborgryborg268
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 26 9:11 AM
                --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, listenstohorses <listenstohorses@...> wrote:

                > I think it a lovely plant that my animals love to eat...I would bring it from Alabama to Missouri if I could convince my other half that it wouldn't get away from me...maybe it is too cold here anyway.
                >
                > Do you know how one prepares it for human consunption?
                >no kudzu in the UK as far as i know..saw picture of it in David Jacke's forest garden book entirely covering a house and garden. very vigorous plant with little predation it seems. Think twice think three times and under no circumstances intrduce this plant!
              • Ludd
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 26 10:38 AM
                  Jim wrote:

                  ... saw picture of it in David Jacke's forest garden book entirely covering a house and garden. very vigorous plant with little predation it seems. Think twice think three times and under no circumstances intrduce this plant!

                  If you decide against this advice and are in to invasive useful plants
                  in your garden, am happy to post you some Japanese Knotweed root clumps.
                  Tasty young shoots all year round. Should go well with Kudzu.
                  Plenty of video's on Kudzu on you tube!

                  Ludd

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 26 10:46 AM

                    Thatis what I have been told by he who matters... but still, my horses and goats LOVE it and it is a very pretty plant