Ground cover

  • charfair fairchar
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 23, 2009
      Most continents have kudzu now. China has less than the US because it hasn't recovered since the great change when China became industrialized and perhaps 30 million or more people starved to death in the last century.

      It is related to snow peas and soybeans and is a famine food.

      There are herbs like thyme that make grood ground covers.
      --
      Charlotte Fairchild
      Fear Thou Not, 501(c)3
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 23, 2009

        kudzu is invasive.  My horses and goats love it but I can not bring any with me.

        --- On Wed, 9/23/09, charfair fairchar <FertilityFair@...> wrote:

        Most continents have kudzu now. China has less than the US because it hasn't recovered since the great change when China became industrialized and perhaps 30 million or more people starved to death in the last century.

      • nerdnooky
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 25, 2009
          Another reason why it's not as prevalent in China is, its known as a healthy green veg, and they enjoy eating it in large quanties. Eaten out of existance, perhaps? Wonder what they think of our famed online pic of the TN house that kudzu ate? What a waste of good veg?

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 26, 2009
            I think it a lovely plant that my animals love to eat...I would bring it from Alabama to Missouri if I could convince my other half that it wouldn't get away from me...maybe it is too cold here anyway.

            Do you know how one prepares it for human consunption?

          • Carol
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 26, 2009
              I actually got a kudzu cookbook from amazon.com last year-
              has all kinds of recipes from wine to veggie dishes to
              using the vines for crafts, etc. Amazingly useful plant.

              Carol Monroe

              Nature doesn't judge. It's pure love, pure being, perfectly in the moment because it's not thinking all the time. Such is the nature of enlightenment. Isha Judd

              I think it a lovely plant that my animals love to eat...I would bring it from Alabama to Missouri if I could convince my other half that it wouldn't get away from me...maybe it is too cold here anyway.

              Do you know how one prepares it for human consunption?

            • Fenris
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 26, 2009
                Does it have seeds and could you post any?

                listenstohorses wrote:
                I think it a lovely plant that my animals love to eat...I would bring it from Alabama to Missouri if I could convince my other half that it wouldn't get away from me...maybe it is too cold here anyway.

                Do you know how one prepares it for human consunption?

                --
                Fenris Wolf

                RSPCA-Animadversion
                http://cheetah.webtribe.net/~animadversion/

                SHG
                http://the-shg.org

                RSPCA Injustice Blog
                http://www.rspcainjustice.blogspot.com/

              • ryborgryborg268
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 26, 2009
                  --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, listenstohorses <listenstohorses@...> wrote:

                  > I think it a lovely plant that my animals love to eat...I would bring it from Alabama to Missouri if I could convince my other half that it wouldn't get away from me...maybe it is too cold here anyway.
                  >
                  > Do you know how one prepares it for human consunption?
                  >no kudzu in the UK as far as i know..saw picture of it in David Jacke's forest garden book entirely covering a house and garden. very vigorous plant with little predation it seems. Think twice think three times and under no circumstances intrduce this plant!
                • Ludd
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 26, 2009
                    Jim wrote:

                    ... saw picture of it in David Jacke's forest garden book entirely covering a house and garden. very vigorous plant with little predation it seems. Think twice think three times and under no circumstances intrduce this plant!

                    If you decide against this advice and are in to invasive useful plants
                    in your garden, am happy to post you some Japanese Knotweed root clumps.
                    Tasty young shoots all year round. Should go well with Kudzu.
                    Plenty of video's on Kudzu on you tube!

                    Ludd

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 26, 2009

                      Thatis what I have been told by he who matters... but still, my horses and goats LOVE it and it is a very pretty plant