Re: Burdock

  • Rob Mahon
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 5, 2003
      Funny you should mention Burdock.

      Today I received the 2.2 lbs. of Wakame seaweed
      I had ordered from our local buying club.
      The odor of this large quantity took me back 15 years
      to when I studied macrobiotic cooking with Cornelia Aihara.
      Every evening meal was begun with miso soup and
      the "dashi" broth was begun with the Wakame
      (very good for the ladies) and and burdock was also always
      used, and the cutting style was that matchstick sized
      pieces were shaved from the root. Not that many pieces
      were used per serving.

      I have tried the dried burdock and made tea and it has a bland taste,
      with a touch of sweetness. Not like yellow dock yecch!

      Another traditional use as mentioned in a previous post is to stir
      fry. I believe Mrs. Aihara showed us that as a dish and the cutting
      style was
      diagonal slices. The oil and tamari (with some help from carrot and
      onion)
      really bring out an intriguing sweet, earthy taste. She used
      (untoasted) sesame oil;
      I imagine that coconut oil also would enhance the sweetness.

      I tend to quick steam all my vegetables and the burdock
      seems bitter by this method
      Anybody used burdock in stew?

      Devorah
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2011
        I`ve harvested some nice Burdock roots,  Arctium lappa.
        Also harvested enought seeds from one plant to supply me the rest of my life !?

        Anyone tried growing - harvesting other wild species, like
        Arctium minor  or Arctium tomentosum  ?

        Anyone have receipts  fro the use of the root to  recommend !?

        Geir Flatabø
      • mIEKAL aND
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 30, 2011
          the notion of saving seed is funny to me, having an old farm & having huge patches of it... harvested truckloads of it & built a huge compost pile of it, thinking as a dynamic accumulator, pulling all that good stuff out of the ground with it's deep taperoot, that it might eventually break down into some very fine compost.

          I only eat first year roots tho, second year root are way too fibrous....

          ~mIEKAL

          On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 5:02 AM, Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote:

          I`ve harvested some nice Burdock roots,  Arctium lappa.

          Also harvested enought seeds from one plant to supply me the rest of my life !?

          Anyone tried growing - harvesting other wild species, like
          Arctium minor  or Arctium tomentosum  ?

          Anyone have receipts  fro the use of the root to  recommend !?
        • Allmende Verden
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 30, 2011
            We tried arctium lappa about 3 years ago and the only cultivated
            varieties we could get hold of from the internet were 'Takinogawa
            Long' and 'Watanabe Early'.
            An average individual of T.´s root weight more than 4 times that of W..
            We had 2 kinds of mulch: Ramial wood-pieces and a kind of thatch.
            Empirically the thatch has more nutrients, but here (as often in
            root-crops) this made no clear difference.

            We had no favour in one of it´s tastes and at all they turned out to
            be less popular than carrot or parsnip. And they also havent made more
            kilograms per squaremeter. So this first try was also the last.

            We´ve got wild goatsbeard in the beds, which is also a nice rootcrop.
            Greetings from Steph

            Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

            > I`ve harvested some nice Burdock roots, Arctium lappa.
            > Also harvested enought seeds from one plant to supply me the rest of my
            > life !?
            >
            > Anyone tried growing - harvesting other wild species, like
            > Arctium minor or Arctium tomentosum ?
            >
            > Anyone have receipts fro the use of the root to recommend !?
            >
            > Geir Flatabø

            Artilleriestr. 6
            D-27283 Verden
            Tel (+49) 4231- 90 30 470 (lange aufs Klingeln warten)
            Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
            http://www.allmende.de.vu
          • Allmende Verden
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 30, 2011

            • ambyagro@yahoo.es
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 30, 2011
                Wich is the best climate zone for burdock? Where an how can we get seeds/cuttings?

                Enviado desde un dispositivo BlackBerry® de Tigo

                From: Allmende Verden <allmendeperma@...>
                Sender: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 15:40:18 +0100
                ReplyTo: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: Re: [pfaf] Burdock

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 30, 2011
                  At least wild burdock is growing in the area (of Verden, lower saxony,
                  Germany). When you type the latin name and the varieties below into
                  google you get some seed-sellers ***Steph

                  Zitat von ambyagro@...:

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 30, 2011
                    Know anyone over experiencies with Burdock in tropicals conditions

                    Enviado desde un dispositivo BlackBerry® de Tigo

                    From: Allmende Verden <allmendeperma@...>
                    Sender: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 23:58:58 +0100
                    ReplyTo: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

                    At least wild burdock is growing in the area (of Verden, lower saxony,
                    Germany). When you type the latin name and the varieties below into
                    google you get some seed-sellers ***Steph

                    Zitat von ambyagro@...:

                    > Wich is the best climate zone for burdock? Where an how can we get
                    > seeds/cuttings?
                    > Enviado desde un dispositivo BlackBerry® de Tigo

                  • Dee Harris
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 30, 2011
                      Southern  Burdock has been known to have more potency than the Northern ones. Please take this into consideration.

                      At least wild burdock is growing in the area (of Verden, lower saxony,
                      Germany). When you type the latin name and the varieties below into
                      google you get some seed-sellers ***Steph

                      Zitat von ambyagro@...:

                      > Wich is the best climate zone for burdock? Where an how can we get
                      > seeds/cuttings?
                      > Enviado desde un dispositivo BlackBerry® de Tigo

                    • Nicole Vosper