New Zealand Spinach

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2009
      Hi Greg and Griselda

      In Bermuda, New Zealand Spinach (Tetragonia tetragonioides, to some)
      comes back perennially after dying off right down to the ground. It
      grows enthusiastically as a spreading, mounding ground cover for much
      of the year - partial shade is useful in the height of summer, and it
      isn't frost hardy.

      I have patches growing both south-facing in a no-dig bed and
      east-facing against a wall in a standard garden bed.

      Check out the wikipedia site on Tetragonia tetragonioides for a few photos..

      This page is interesting, too (
      http://www.harvestwizard.com/2009/03/how_to_grow_new_zealand_spinac.html
      ), although they contradict themselves by saying to plant for part
      shade in summer but not to plant in the shade of a taller plant. I
      say just compost and mulch it - that will keep it moist long enough to
      get established; after that they're pretty hardy.

      Peace,

      Steve.

      --

      "What does it say about a culture that has fewer farmers than prisoners?"

      - Joel Salatin