Burdock ?

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2003
      Hi :)

      Has anyone ever tried burdock root?
      If so,any pointers for cooking etc?
      Are there any dodgy variants of the plant to watch out for (in the UK)

      Be gratefull for any help!

      Andy... ... ...
    • Anna Fraser
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2003
        Hello Andy,

        As a medical herbalist I've only ever used Burdock as a medicine with Alterative (i.e. beneficial to various bodily systems), Diuretic and Bitter qualities.
        It is a valuable remedy for various skin conditions, esp. those with dry, scaly skin. It is also a good 'detoxifyer' used in  degenerative conditions and it will help digestive processes and stimulate appetite due to its bitters, which stimulate digestive juices, bile and enzyme production.
        We were taught that it is the 'Powerdigger' of the cleansing, detoxifying herbs. It seems to be able to stimulate the release of waste products from the bodycells very efficiently. If you give too large a dose, some people may come out in rashes, due to the fact of all this 'waste' suddenly being brought into the bloodstream. It does not affect everyone that way (maybe because they are not so much in need of a springclean deep within their tissues?)
        Anyhow, maybe the above means that eating very small quantities of this very healthy herb in the beginning is a wise practise to begin with. The normal dose herbalists give is about 1-2 ml of tincture or 1-2 teaspoons of the dried grated root per dose, which can then be taken 3 or 4 times a day.

        Love, Anna

        Are there any dodgy variants of the plant to watch out for (in the UK)

        Be gratefull for any help!

        Andy... ... ...

        ---
      • mIEKAL aND
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2003
          We eat wild burdock of 1st year roots, usually in conjunction with
          doing some "weeding" in the garden. They have delicious nutty flavor,
          cut up in stirfries. Ive only tasted the culinary burdock gobo a few
          times, & by taste alone it woud be hard to tell the difference.

          mIEKAL

          On Friday, December 5, 2003, at 03:54 AM, Anna Fraser wrote:

          > Hello Andy,
          >
          > As a medical herbalist I've only ever used Burdock as a medicine with
          > Alterative (i.e. beneficial to various bodily systems), Diuretic and
          > Bitter qualities.
          > It is a valuable remedy for various skin conditions, esp. those with
          > dry, scaly skin. It is also a good 'detoxifyer' used in  degenerative
          > conditions and it will help digestive processes and stimulate appetite
          > due to its bitters, which stimulate digestive juices, bile and
          > enzyme production.
          > We were taught that it is the 'Powerdigger' of the cleansing,
          > detoxifying herbs. It seems to be able to stimulate the release of
          > waste products from the bodycells very efficiently. If you give too
          > large a dose, some people may come out in rashes, due to the fact of
          > all this 'waste' suddenly being brought into the bloodstream. It does
          > not affect everyone that way (maybe because they are not so much in
          > need of a springclean deep within their tissues?)
          > Anyhow, maybe the above means that eating very small quantities of
          > this very healthy herb in the beginning is a wise practise to begin
          > with. The normal dose herbalists give is about 1-2 ml of tincture or
          > 1-2 teaspoons of the dried grated root per dose, which can then be
          > taken 3 or 4 times a day.
          >
          > Love, Anna
          > www.the-tree.org.uk

          http://www.dreamtimevillage.org

          "The word is the first stereotype." Isidore Isou, 1947.