Re: black knot in plums

  • evenivity
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 20, 2009
      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "jenniferpittet" <jenniferpittet@...> wrote:

      > Hello from southern Georgian Bay,
      >
      > I have some black knot at the base of the trunk of a little plum tree I planted several years ago. Because of the location of the fungus, I can't cut it out. Any suggestions for something to treat this with....something I can apply to kill or contain it?
      >
      > This is what a fact sheet from Cornell says:
      >
      > "If pruning is not possible because knots are present on major scaffold limbs or the trunk, they can be removed by cutting away the diseased tissue down to the wood and out at least 1/2 inch (1 cm) beyond the edge of the knot"
      >
      > Do they mean cut right into the wood? I assume that any cutting I do should be in the fall.
      >
      > Also, just wanted to thank everyone who gave me ideas about reclaiming a mature orchard. I did some more research, as suggested, and started implementing some of your ideas. Much appreciated!
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Jennifer

      I have no experiance of this but I would cut out right into the wood removing all + more
      But dont cut right round or no sap will get up

      You could then graft one of its own branches or a number over the cut as a repair grafting of own wood should be sucessfull and is a good solution to tree damage especially established works for canker to
      I do know about grafting and can give more info if you wish
      Brian