Re: [pfaf] Re: Creeping wood sorrel (Oxalis corniculata)

  • Margi
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 17, 2009
      Herbal tonics are plants that are considered to be safe to use on an
      ongoing basis. These are the herbs that are primarily nutritive in
      action. They include nettles, skullcap, and oats, but there are many
      others. You can research herbal tonic on the internet for more info.

      ~margi

      Patty Martz wrote:

      > "D" said:
      > "The list of medicinal plants which are safe to use on an ongoing
      > basis is short indeed"
      >
      > PLEASE, what IS the SHORT LIST of medicinal plants which are SAFE to
      > use on an ONGOING BASIS???
      >
      > Thanks,
      > PLMartz

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 17, 2009
        Hi David,

        I'm Steve, in Bermuda.

        The Oxalis here (creeping - either O. corniculata or O. stricta or
        both - and clumping - maybe O. griffithii) form dense mats. Both
        reproduce prolifically, and I know of no reliable (ecologically
        friendly) method of removing them once they are established besides
        manual labor (pulling it all out by hand).
        The creeping one makes little okra-shaped pods which are spring loaded
        and can fling the seed up to 8 or 10 feet away. It's even a bit
        painful if you trigger it with your hand while gardening and it flings
        the seeds in your face.
        The clumping type reproduces from bulblets underground. If you pull
        this wood sorrel from the ground, you are likely helping it to spread,
        because the bulblets are dragged apart and then germinate seperately
        in their own new clumps.
        Now, my way of approaching this was to lay a light barrier over the
        whole patch and build a no-dig bed on top of it. Sure, it comes back
        eventually, but in the meanwhile the aerial parts provide you with
        some nice organic material under your beds. In a forest garden
        situation, you may wish to sheet mulch in order to keep the wood
        sorrell down in order to plant other things. It isn't going to hurt
        your efforts as far as tree planting goes.

        I'm off to bed.

        Peace.

        Steve.

        --
        "The spirit of this country is totally adverse to a large military force."

        - Thomas Jefferson
      • D
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 18, 2009
          I have only ever heard of two, linden flowers and chamomile. I also use
          rosehips (not exactly a herb). The other tea I have here is peppermint
          but I use it rarely.
          Its handy to have on hand if someone has a food allergy and accidentally
          imbibes something that can make them sick, in which case a cup of
          peppermint tea seems to negate the allergen.
          I take herbal medicine as a matter of course, that is, every year I take
          a course of a particular herbal blend, but I don't take them every day
          of every year.
          If they work one shouldn't have to! But I do rotate them, and try to
          take each medicine once per year, so am often taking something... liver
          detox, lymphatic drainage, immune system tonic, eg.

          Herbs which are dried are often taken in larger quantities than fresh
          herbs, something people may not think about (In terms of dosage).
          Self prescribing isnt a great substitute for the skilled practitioner,
          esp if you are really sick, or if whatever you are using isnt having the
          desired effect.
          A competent herbalist can effect a pretty good cure.

          We are very lucky in Australia that our private health system has a
          thing called "standard extras" insurance, which for a small investment,
          pays a pretty good return.
          For around $17 AU to $34AU per month, one receives about 66% rebate on
          10 visits yearly to each of optical, dental, naturopathic, homeopathic,
          physio, chiropractic etc etc.
          Which is PRETTY BLOODY GOOD VALUE!

          CHEERS,
          Deb