Re: [pfaf] Creeping wood sorrel (Oxalis corniculata)

  • Johanna Knox
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 16 4:31 PM
      Hi - sorry - I hope this doesn't seem spammy! I've written up some of the ways I like to use Oxalis acetosella (which is abundant round where I live) on my blog here -

      http://wildpicnic.blogspot.com/2009/07/wood-sorrel-oxalis-acetosella.html

      I imagine you could do those same things with any of the little oxalises. (Hmm ... what would the plural be? 'Oxalises' looks strange!)

      Best wishes
      Johanna

      On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 7:57 AM, <david.keltie@...> wrote:

      So I should 'harvest' it. Any recipes?!

      Thanks, David

    • david.keltie@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 17 2:41 AM
        OK there may be some (marginal) food/medicinal value but what about
        it's value in a forest garden?

        It is ground cover (ie it restricts other 'weed' growth), it's little
        flowers are pretty but rather inconspicuous. But does it
        inhibit/encourage
        - soil structure/fertility?
        - other plants with better food value?
        - beneficial insects?

        If it's left to grow unrestricted will it invade the whole area or
        find a suitable niche for itself and die off elsewhere?

        (my partner complains it gets into the flower garden area and apart
        from swamping young seedlings, ants build nests around its creeping
        strands).

        Thanks, David

      • Ludd
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 17 4:01 AM
          I read somewhere that it is a good idea to eat woodsorrel with cheese,
          for cheese neautralises the oxalic acid. Or does it just provide extra
          calcium to compensate for the lesser uptake?
          Ludwig

          D wrote:
          > You should probably consult a naturopath before using it over a period
          > of time.
          > Usually this type of plant use and knowledge should ne restricted to
          > 'survival' use only, ie if you find yourself desperate for sustenance,
          > ie in times of disaster or starvation.
          > Deliberately restricting uptake of calcium could result in harm to
          > nerves, bones, etc. Also gall bladder I think may need removing if you
          > make a habit of this type of eating.
          > Cooking usually renders oxalic acids less harmful, but also destroys
          > Vitamin C, so it seems counter-productive to use it as a food on an
          > ongoing basis.
          >
          > Perhaps there is excessive worship of the humble weed in PC circles,
          > proving that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
          > If its a native species, try consulting the indigenous plant use history
          > in your area, even if that means exhuming old records from documents in
          > library arhives, and also various internet research.
          > Dont use yourself as the guinea pig.
          >
          > Personally I prefer parsley, still one of the top 10 cultivated plants
          > in terms of nutritional value.
          > Perennial spinach is another favourite, which is better tasting than
          > silver beet (another species which is toxic over time unless cooked, due
          > to oxalic acid content).
          >
          > Many herbs and plants, whilst they have a medicinal value, should only
          > be used to correct specific health conditions, and never ingested
          > regularly. More is not better!
          > The list of medicinal plants which are safe to use on an ongoing basis
          > is short indeed
          >
          > Safe eating,
          >
          > david.keltie@... wrote:
          >

          >> So I should 'harvest' it. Any recipes?!
          >>
          >> Thanks, David
          >>
          >> On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 8:31 PM, <matthew@b-and- t-world-seeds. com
          >> <mailto:matthew%40b-and-t-world-seeds.com>> wrote:
          >>
          >>> Oxalis corniculata is a good source of vitamin C, all parts of the
          >>>
          >> plant are edible. Long term food use is not recommended as it
          >> restricts the assimilation of calcium.
          >>
          >>> The toxic reference is probably to Oxalic acid, present in many
          >>>
          >> plants - including rhubarb.
          >>
          >>> All the best,
          >>> Matthew
          >>>
          >>> Matthew Sleigh
          >>> B and T World Seeds
          >>> Paguignan
          >>> 34210 Aigues-Vives
          >>> France
          >>> matthew@b-and- t-world-seeds. com
          >>>
          >> <mailto:matthew%40b-and-t-world-seeds.com>
          >>
          >>> http://b-and- t-world-seeds. com/ <http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/>
          >>> fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39

        • Patty Martz
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 17 6:06 AM
            "D" said:
            "The list of medicinal plants which are safe to use on an ongoing basis is short indeed"

            PLEASE, what IS the SHORT LIST of medicinal plants which are SAFE to use on an ONGOING BASIS???

            Thanks,
            PLMartz

            D wrote:

            > You should probably consult a naturopath before using it over a period
            > of time.
            > Usually this type of plant use and knowledge should ne restricted to
            > 'survival' use only, ie if you find yourself desperate for sustenance,
            > ie in times of disaster or starvation.
            > Deliberately restricting uptake of calcium could result in harm to
            > nerves, bones, etc. Also gall bladder I think may need removing if you
            > make a habit of this type of eating.
            > Cooking usually renders oxalic acids less harmful, but also destroys
            > Vitamin C, so it seems counter-productive to use it as a food on an
            > ongoing basis.
            >
            > Perhaps there is excessive worship of the humble weed in PC circles,
            > proving that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
            > If its a native species, try consulting the indigenous plant use history
            > in your area, even if that means exhuming old records from documents in
            > library arhives, and also various internet research.
            > Dont use yourself as the guinea pig.
            >
            > Personally I prefer parsley, still one of the top 10 cultivated plants
            > in terms of nutritional value.
            > Perennial spinach is another favourite, which is better tasting than
            > silver beet (another species which is toxic over time unless cooked, due
            > to oxalic acid content).
            >
            > Many herbs and plants, whilst they have a medicinal value, should only
            > be used to correct specific health conditions, and never ingested
            > regularly. More is not better!
            > The list of medicinal plants which are safe to use on an ongoing basis
            > is short indeed
            >
            > Safe eating,
            >
            > david.keltie@ gmail.com wrote:
            >

            >> So I should 'harvest' it. Any recipes?!
            >>
            >> Thanks, David
            >>
            >> On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 8:31 PM, <matthew@b-and- t-world-seeds. com
            >> <mailto:matthew% 40b-and-t- world-seeds. com>> wrote:
            >>
            >>> Oxalis corniculata is a good source of vitamin C, all parts of the
            >>>
            >> plant are edible. Long term food use is not recommended as it
            >> restricts the assimilation of calcium.
            >>
            >>> The toxic reference is probably to Oxalic acid, present in many
            >>>
            >> plants - including rhubarb.
            >>
            >>> All the best,
            >>> Matthew
            >>>
            >>> Matthew Sleigh
            >>> B and T World Seeds
            >>> Paguignan
            >>> 34210 Aigues-Vives
            >>> France
            >>> matthew@b-and- t-world-seeds. com
            >>>
            >> <mailto:matthew% 40b-and-t- world-seeds. com>
            >>
            >>> http://b-and- t-world-seeds. com/ <http://b-and- t-world-seeds. com/>
            >>> fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39

          • Margi
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 17 9:39 AM
              Herbal tonics are plants that are considered to be safe to use on an
              ongoing basis. These are the herbs that are primarily nutritive in
              action. They include nettles, skullcap, and oats, but there are many
              others. You can research herbal tonic on the internet for more info.

              ~margi

              Patty Martz wrote:

              > "D" said:
              > "The list of medicinal plants which are safe to use on an ongoing
              > basis is short indeed"
              >
              > PLEASE, what IS the SHORT LIST of medicinal plants which are SAFE to
              > use on an ONGOING BASIS???
              >
              > Thanks,
              > PLMartz

            • D
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 17 9:59 AM

                david.keltie@... wrote:

                > So I should 'harvest' it. Any recipes?!
                >
                > Thanks, David
                >
                > On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 8:31 PM, <matthew@b-and- t-world-seeds. com
                > <mailto:matthew%40b-and-t-world-seeds.com>> wrote:
                > > Oxalis corniculata is a good source of vitamin C, all parts of the
                > plant are edible. Long term food use is not recommended as it
                > restricts the assimilation of calcium.
                > >
                > > The toxic reference is probably to Oxalic acid, present in many
                > plants - including rhubarb.
                > >
                > > All the best,
                > > Matthew
                > >
                > > Matthew Sleigh
                > > B and T World Seeds
                > > Paguignan
                > > 34210 Aigues-Vives
                > > France
                > > matthew@b-and- t-world-seeds. com
                > <mailto:matthew%40b-and-t-world-seeds.com>
                > > http://b-and- t-world-seeds. com/ <http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/>
                > > fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39

              • Steve
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 17 7:39 PM
                  Hi David,

                  I'm Steve, in Bermuda.

                  The Oxalis here (creeping - either O. corniculata or O. stricta or
                  both - and clumping - maybe O. griffithii) form dense mats. Both
                  reproduce prolifically, and I know of no reliable (ecologically
                  friendly) method of removing them once they are established besides
                  manual labor (pulling it all out by hand).
                  The creeping one makes little okra-shaped pods which are spring loaded
                  and can fling the seed up to 8 or 10 feet away. It's even a bit
                  painful if you trigger it with your hand while gardening and it flings
                  the seeds in your face.
                  The clumping type reproduces from bulblets underground. If you pull
                  this wood sorrel from the ground, you are likely helping it to spread,
                  because the bulblets are dragged apart and then germinate seperately
                  in their own new clumps.
                  Now, my way of approaching this was to lay a light barrier over the
                  whole patch and build a no-dig bed on top of it. Sure, it comes back
                  eventually, but in the meanwhile the aerial parts provide you with
                  some nice organic material under your beds. In a forest garden
                  situation, you may wish to sheet mulch in order to keep the wood
                  sorrell down in order to plant other things. It isn't going to hurt
                  your efforts as far as tree planting goes.

                  I'm off to bed.

                  Peace.

                  Steve.

                  --
                  "The spirit of this country is totally adverse to a large military force."

                  - Thomas Jefferson
                • D
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 18 10:51 AM
                    I have only ever heard of two, linden flowers and chamomile. I also use
                    rosehips (not exactly a herb). The other tea I have here is peppermint
                    but I use it rarely.
                    Its handy to have on hand if someone has a food allergy and accidentally
                    imbibes something that can make them sick, in which case a cup of
                    peppermint tea seems to negate the allergen.
                    I take herbal medicine as a matter of course, that is, every year I take
                    a course of a particular herbal blend, but I don't take them every day
                    of every year.
                    If they work one shouldn't have to! But I do rotate them, and try to
                    take each medicine once per year, so am often taking something... liver
                    detox, lymphatic drainage, immune system tonic, eg.

                    Herbs which are dried are often taken in larger quantities than fresh
                    herbs, something people may not think about (In terms of dosage).
                    Self prescribing isnt a great substitute for the skilled practitioner,
                    esp if you are really sick, or if whatever you are using isnt having the
                    desired effect.
                    A competent herbalist can effect a pretty good cure.

                    We are very lucky in Australia that our private health system has a
                    thing called "standard extras" insurance, which for a small investment,
                    pays a pretty good return.
                    For around $17 AU to $34AU per month, one receives about 66% rebate on
                    10 visits yearly to each of optical, dental, naturopathic, homeopathic,
                    physio, chiropractic etc etc.
                    Which is PRETTY BLOODY GOOD VALUE!

                    CHEERS,
                    Deb