Monkey puzzle seeds available?

  • ewojcieszak
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 8, 2009
      I noticed that a few folks from the UK have posted new supplies of Araucaria araucana (Monkey Puzzle) seeds on eBay. Would anyone be interested in trade for some Kentucky Wisteria seed? I've had so many germinate, and have probably at least 40-50 close to sending out their roots. If not interested in trading, how much for 50-100? Please let me know. Thanks, Eric (ewojcieszak@...).
    • fran k
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 10, 2009
        Hi Eric.

        How do the  monkey puzzles grow in your area?  Havent you got any trees there to go and collect the seeds from?  I have had great success with mine this year and have more than 500 happily come up so far.   I planted the first 200 the way that one is advised too, pointed end darted into compost and this was not good, as only 3 came up after about 3 to 4 weeks.  The others I had left scattered in compost to germinate and plant out after being a week away, and these I had to gently put the inch or so long root into holes and lay the seed on its side.  It was good fortune that I did this, as they started coming up immediatly.  The first 200 I then had to prise up as best I could to expose the green, and now a lot of these are coming up too.

        I havent gathered any more seed yet for next year.   Best wishes,  Frank

        I noticed that a few folks from the UK have posted new supplies of Araucaria araucana (Monkey Puzzle) seeds on eBay. Would anyone be interested in trade for some Kentucky Wisteria seed? I've had so many germinate, and have probably at least 40-50 close to sending out their roots. If not interested in trading, how much for 50-100? Please let me know. Thanks, Eric (ewojcieszak@ yahoo.com).

      • ryborgryborg268
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 11, 2009
          I dont think its that easy to find nutting monkey puzzle trees. rarely self fertile, they need a group to get the required male and female individuals to make seed. If you have access to nut producing monkey puzzle trees in your locality frank, then u are very lucky! i get them from tree seed wholesalers wen o want some. (see 'database' and links on the PFAF yahoo group website for tree seed wholesalers). I start them off in smallish pots under the benching in unheated greenhouse. They seem slow growing and the heat speeds them up a bit. I plan to grow them to a foot or two in height before planting out. 500 trees is a jinornous amount Frank! U must have a very large nursery area m8. I giv them away as small trees. I think they would need careful mulching to prevent being overwelmed as small trees. They also take 40 years to start producing nuts! I've just taken the first harvest from a 'gypsy' strain cherry plum. VERY nice. When in Holland recently I tasted a small plum like fruit that had been planted in hedgerows around pear orchard in Limburg province. It was excellent coconut flavour. Anyone any ideas what this was? Colour of fruit was dark redish. I was wondering if was a suckering variety, i.e. on its own vigorous rootstock, rather than being a grafted cultivar..seeing as it was in the hedgerow and holding its own. I want something like this to plant out. I gets a bit expensive buying loads of grafted plants. I have a nice suckering cooking damson that I am willing to take rooted suckers from and send anywhere in the world for free. so if you are interested and live in a climatically suitable part of the world, pls email with your request, and I'll file them for dispatch this winter. Just strimmed and mulched a forest garden and other edibles trees on Anglesey. Mulch was: urine then newspaper then the cut hay of which there was a massive amount produced using a brushcutting blade. like a motorised sythe! I've used up a 100 by 3.25 metre roll of woven polypropeline material, cutting it into squares..
        • ryborgryborg268
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 11, 2009
            ..with slots cut and then used the u shaped wire things to fix them in the ground. Martin Crawford uses this material to clear areas in forest garden proir to planting with the relevant things. By the way people, try and get on one of Martins forest garden courses. (Agroforestry Research Trust). Patrick Whitefield is suppost to b good for permaculture so i hear..(Permaculture Association) these systems are based on natural ecology designs - like playing God in a nice way rathe than the arrogant conqouring nature type approach of the ironically named so called 'green revoltution'. WOW! just thinking about Martins set up. U have to see it folks - a very together set up. All the various courses also inlcluding nut tree growing and preserve/jam making courses. All a charitable organisation as well!
          • ryborgryborg268
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 11, 2009
              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "ryborgryborg268" <cromlech108@...> wrote:

              > ..with slots cut and then used the u shaped wire things to fix them in the ground. Martin Crawford uses this material to clear areas in forest garden proir to planting with the relevant things. By the way people, try and get on one of Martins forest garden courses. (Agroforestry Research Trust). Patrick Whitefield is suppost to b good for permaculture so i hear..(Permaculture Association) these systems are based on natural ecology designs - like playing God in a nice way rathe than the arrogant conqouring nature type approach of the ironically named so called 'green revoltution'. WOW! just thinking about Martins set up. U have to see it folks - a very together set up. All the various courses also inlcluding nut tree growing and preserve/jam making courses. All a charitable organisation as well!
              In the UK the woven matting is available from LBS garden wholesale. It wood n nice to hav a recycled plastic version of this stuff...
            • Eric
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 17, 2009
                Frank, would you by any chance have any more Monkey Puzzle seeds? This is going to be an annual ritual with me to grow these most enjoyable of trees. Thanks, Eric.

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 19, 2009
                  Hi Eric.

                  I am the same.

                   I have been around all the trees that I know, plus more, and have had a great find, of an avenue of 60 trees,  but I am too late for their fruit for this year, but should have many next year.  So sorry, Ive only got a hand full.  How did you get on with the ones that I sent?

                   Anyone in the UK that wishes to have any of the 600  3" new ones  that germinated for me this year is welcome to come and get one or some. Please get in touch.  Ive also got this years new UK Northern fruiting sweet chestnuts, hazels,   blackcurrants, and red currants which are from cuttings from R harts garden. Also, Gooseberries that grow small egg size fruit.  Anyone who is keen to grow them on is welcome to have some for free, and Id welcome any seeds, or any useful and edible forest garden perrenial cuttings for growing on in the new forest garden nursery that Im developing.  These plants are planned to be both free and for sale.  (as some people just dont get the idea of free).  Best wishes.  Frank

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 20, 2009
                    OOOO tasty Frank!