Huauzontle

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14, 2009
      Hi,

      The genus Chenopodium is the subject of "taxonomic disputes" and is fairly diverse, color-wise, so don't be surprised if you see individuals which differ from "official" descriptions (or, perhaps more importantly, official descriptions which differ from each other).
      C. berlandieri has at least 6 varieties.

      Also, it sounded to me like the folks over at gourmet sleuth were talking trash about Seeds of Change (a very respectable company, in my opinion).  Who knows why?  Does gourmet sleuth sell Huauzontle?

      I know that this stemmed from a specific research project, but, as an aside, a Chenopodium you are almost certainly in contact with already on a daily basis is Lambsquarters (C. album).  Young tops are a good basic salad ingredient, or steamed with a little dressing added at the end (we like garlic, olive oil and balsamic vinegar).

      Peace,

      Steve.

      --
      "The spirit of this country is totally adverse to a large military force."

      - Thomas Jefferson
    • Allmende Verden
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 15, 2009
        Hi Steve,
        can you give further information/links to the taxonomic disputes?
        And "I know that this stemmed from a specific research project" - what
        stemmed from what?

        greetings from Klaus

        Zitat von Steve <permalove@...>:

        > Hi,
        >
        > The genus Chenopodium is the subject of "taxonomic disputes" and is
        > fairly diverse, color-wise, so don't be surprised if you see individuals
        > which differ from "official" descriptions (or, perhaps more importantly,
        > official descriptions which differ from each other).
        > C. berlandieri has at least 6 varieties.
        >
        > Also, it sounded to me like the folks over at gourmet sleuth were talking
        > trash about Seeds of Change (a very respectable company, in my opinion).
        > Who knows why? Does gourmet sleuth sell Huauzontle?
        >
        > I know that this stemmed from a specific research project, but, as an aside,
        > a Chenopodium you are almost certainly in contact with already on a daily
        > basis is Lambsquarters (C. album). Young tops are a good basic salad
        > ingredient, or steamed with a little dressing added at the end (we like
        > garlic, olive oil and balsamic vinegar).
        >
        > Peace,
        >
        > Steve.
        >

        > --
        > "The spirit of this country is totally adverse to a large military force."
        >
        > - Thomas Jefferson

        Artilleriestr. 6
        D-27283 Verden
        Tel (+49) 4231- 90 50 30
        Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
        http://www.allmende.de.vu
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 15, 2009
          Hi Klaus,

          As far as the taxonomic issues go, I can give you an example - I'll have to work on those links for you..
          Just Lambsquarters (C. album) alone is seen to be either one species with many varieties or many distinct species depending on whose report you read.

          And the comment I made about a research project (yes, sorry, that was a bit obscure to someone coming in halfway through the conversation) referred to the originator of the thread, who was researching Huauzontle (C. berlandieri) and trying to find out if it manifested green or red foliage (or both).

          Peace,

          Steve

          replying to:

          Re: Huauzontle