HUAUZONTLE - red or green or both ???

  • nannarob46
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2009
      Hi all .. I joined this group when researching Huauzontle and trying to ascertain different varieties..

      on website "seeds of change" the picture is red and on gourmet sleuth the picture is green so I sent emails to relevant websites questioning this and got following replies..

      from seeds of change .. "We have a great picture of it in our catalog on page 50 and it is most definitely red. It is also called Red Aztec Spinach. Chenopodium berlandieri is the species we sell. Maybe there is another one that is not red?" ..

      from Gourmet Sleuth I got " I can't speak for what product Seedsofchange.com is referring to but huazontles are long stemmed greens with tiny flower buds (which we can confuse you further because technically the buds are fruit..) The plant grows long stalks, has serrated leaves and the stalks get tipped with seed bundles. The seed bundles are prepared and eaten like a vegetable. The only huazontles I've ever seen are green in color so if they are selling something red.. not sure what that would be. That being said this plant does grow in the U.S. (treated like a weed) but was eaten by Native Americans. Our reference is Diana Kennedy, well known writer and considered one of the best authorities on Mexican food and culinary culture. We have more description in our dictionary (this link is to our new site which is still under development but feel free to check out the info)http://dev1.gourmetsleuth.com/Dictionary/H/Huauzontle-6125.aspx

      THEN researched Chenopodium berlandieri and found this group and pictures at Google Image Search which show most green but a couple red however no explanation as to why red or green or if 2 different varieties ... similarly on Wikipedia .. different varieties but no red .... can anyone out there help me ... thanx
    • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 14, 2009
        Some Chenopodium berlandieri are definitely green

        Chenopodium berlandieri v nuttaliae is a red variety ( I guess there could be several red varieties )
        There are also "Amber" and "Magenta" varieties

        The species crosses with other Chenopodium

        All the best,
        Matthew

        Matthew Sleigh
        P-2, North Poblacion

[...]