"Castanea" unknown

  • Helena Spear
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2009
      Dear Friends

      I am a new member of this group, and have been trying to search through correspondence that might assist me to identify a nut bearing tree that is growing in a public park near my home. A helpful contact at a gardening magazine identified it as a Castanea but could not tell me which one, and neither whether this one bears edible nuts.

      If these nuts are edible, how does one prepare them for eating? It might be useful in a country where so many people go hungry!

      It is a tall tree, up to 30ft, nice and shady, deciduous and seems to prefer full sun. I noticed that the nuts resemble small acorns with a tough "shell" - very confusing!

      Your possible assistance will be greatly appreciated!

      Kind regards
      Helena Spear
      Pretoria, RSA

    • Carles Esquerda
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2009
        Hi Helena, could you attach some photos of the nuts, leaves and the whole tree to assist in identification?

        Thanks,

        Carles

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2009
          Hi Carles!

          I did attach a photo of the nuts but it may have dropped off. I'm new to this kind of thing, so it's quite possible. let me try again! And thanks for being willing to help.

          Kind regards
          Helena

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 8, 2009
            Hi Helena,

            I've had the group set up so that attachments are removed, which is why your picture didn't appear. Following a previous discussion I've now changed the settings so that attachments will be kept on site
            but not sent out via email. This will mean that people can see the pictures on the group page.

            to store photos.

            Rich (moderator)

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 8, 2009
              Thanks, Richard! I thought I did something silly, but at least I'm learning fast. I will remember that!

              If you post the picture again it should appear. Alternatively you can use the photos section http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/pfaf/ photos