Re: Lycium barbarum

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 18, 2009
      Hi Vital,

      Did you try germinating some of the seeds indoors? It might be helpful to
      have an artificially warm start early in the year. I just do mine right on
      the window ledge.

      I must mention that I didn't come up with the method of
      soaking/hydro-sprouting the gojis on the mesh. That was the folks at the
      Goji vineyard.. they even send a piece of mesh in the envelope with their
      seeds.

      I'll take a photo of it, so you can see what I mean..
      Ok, so I took four photos.
      In the first is the envelope I got from the Fountain of Youth Goji Vineyard
      (in Iowa) with diverse informational material (germination, planting
      instructions, etc), the packet of seeds on the right, and the fine mesh
      plastic screen.
      In the photos titled "Goji sprouter 1, 2 & 3" you see the little dish I
      use and the way that the screen becomes wet, but still remains floating. I
      just sprinkle 10 or 20 seeds on the saturated mesh and leave it, refilling
      the dish as the water evaporates.

      I have also heard of people planting straight into soil, but I tried the
      water method first and it worked, so I've stuck with it.

      One thing which should be said is that Goji seeds lose more of their
      viability the longer they have been out of the fruit. Therefore two
      advantages of just buying a bag of dried berries from the store are 1) the
      seeds are still contained in their fruits, and 2) you get probably more
      seeds than you could ever use in one plot - even after eating some
      berries..
      The amount of seeds I got via mail were from about ten or twenty berries at
      the most (not more than a handful), whereas you'll get hundreds of berries
      in a bag for the same cost.

      Happy growing,

      Peace,

      Steve.