Spammers

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 14, 2003
      Graham Burnett wrote:
      > Rich- any chance you could delete these spammers??
      >
      > Ta Graham

      Yes indeed, they are now banned.

      Sorry to the list about number of spams, however
      theres little I can do with out makeing it harder
      for people to join the list. What seems to happen is
      that a spammer joins the list and imediately posts
      a spam. Unless I personally check all new joined member
      there is little I can do.

      I've also banned some suspicious looking email and
      anyone_up4_abj@... and sazan862003@...
      are pending deletion unless I here that they are
      real.

      Rich
      --
      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
      Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 14, 2003
        I moderate several yahoo groups.  i have them all set to moderate all messages from all new members.  once somebody posts a real message,so i know they aren't a spammer, then I set their membership to the same open posting privileges as everyone else.  Since i did this, I haven't had any problems with spammers, and it doesn't take much of my time.

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 15, 2003
          You could put all new members on moderated. Caat

          Graham Burnett wrote:
          > Rich- any chance you could delete these spammers??
          >
          > Ta Graham

          Yes indeed, they are now banned.

          Sorry to the list about number of spams, however
          theres little I can do with out makeing it harder
          for people to join the list. What seems to happen is
          that a spammer joins the list and imediately posts
          a spam. Unless I personally check all new joined member
          there is little I can do.

          I've also banned some suspicious looking email and
          anyone_up4_abj@... and sazan862003@...
          are pending deletion unless I here that they are
          real.

          Rich

          "Bone by bone, hair by hair, Wild Woman comes back. Through night dreams,
          through events half understood and half remembered, Wild Woman comes back."
          (26)
        • Richard Morris
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 15, 2003
            cat sweeney wrote:

            > You could put all new members on moderated. Caat

            Tis done.

            Rich

            p.s. Thanks to Graham and Robert for pointing out the
            solution to the spam problem.
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 15, 2003
              Not a problem, thank you for the PFAF website, which I use probably more than any other single plant information site on the internet.  whenever I find out about a new plant, the first place I go for information is the PFAF database.  Many of the plants in my household permaculture situation I decided on after checking the info there.  It has been particularly helpful in identifying local natives that are edible or useful.  I've taken the catalogs of various local native plant seed merchants and gone through them with the PFAF database, and thus found several useful/edibles among typical Oklahoma wild plants like wild gernaium and prairie coreopsis.

              Allow me to point out one additional loophole that I haven't figured an answer out for yet.  Spammers, mostly porno, subscribe and then upload a file to the file section, which triggers an automatic messasge to the group saying so and so has uploaded a "hot porno" document at x location in the file section.  Moderating posting doesn't seem to stop people from uploaded files.

              Robert Waldrop, okc

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 17, 2003
                Thanks for your attention. Caat