Re: [pfaf] Re: Truffles: Do you know where to get spores and how to grow them?

  • pazogie
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 15, 2009
      Thanks for the info, Mr. RyBorg.

      I have a friend in Italy that I requested to look for truffle spores
      and info on how best to go about planting them.

      In Samar we still have lots of trees in our forests. If I can't grow
      the truffles in my basement, I will plant them in the forest.

      Thanks again, kind sir.

      Paz

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 16, 2009
        Thanks, fellas.

        I see that science has not been able to cope up with truffles.

        Then I will just have to make my own research how I may be
        able to grow them in my cold and damp basement.

        In the meantime, it is the grocery store for me.

        Thanks again fellas,

        Paz

        ________________________________
        De: ryborgryborg268 <cromlech108@ yahoo.co. uk>
        Para: pfaf@yahoogroups. com
        Fecha: lunes, 15 junio, 2009 11:23

        They grow in conjuction with trees. The roots in fact I think. You can start off a truffle grow by innoculating the roots of young trees with the relevant spore and then planting them out. Much more to it than that I'm sure - an invloved and long term project. You also then have to locate the truffles. So you need land, innoculated trees, patience and then, in a few years you might get huge financial returns relative to other land uses - at least in good truffle years. I really don't think you could grow truffles in a basement or otherwise than in woodlands. Sorry m8.

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups. com, pazogie <pazogie2003@ ...> wrote:

        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > I heard that the Italians grow them.
        >
        > I was wondering if I could get some spores and
        > grow them here in my damp basement in my
        > house in Cebu City, Philippines.
        >
        > Anyone here knows how I may get my wish
        > fulfilled?
        >
        > Paz
        >

        > Surf faster. Internet Explorer 8 optmized for Yahoo! auto launches 2 of your favorite pages everytime you open your browser. Get IE8 here! http://downloads. yahoo.com/ sg/internetexplo rer/

        Fast, Ad-free, Unlimited Storage - Yahoo! Mail allows you to have it all at http://ph.mail.yahoo.com

      • R. Dale Asberry
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 17, 2009
          Truffles are mushrooms. Science is able to keep up with it, your just communicating with the wrong group!

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, pazogie <pazogie2003@...> wrote:

          > Thanks, fellas.
          >
          > I see that science has not been able to cope up with truffles.
          >
          > Then I will just have to make my own research how I may be
          > able to grow them in my cold and damp basement.
          >
          > In the meantime, it is the grocery store for me.
          >
          > Thanks again fellas,
          >
          > Paz
        • Griselda Mussett
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 18, 2009
            "The black truffle known as melanosporum is a winter mushroom which
            grows underground (a kind of tuber) in symbiosis with the roots of
            certain kinds of trees. Little truffles are born in May, grow most
            rapidly during August, and begin to ripen in November after a good
            frost, with the last appearing in March. They grow best in chalky
            well-drained soil of moderate to meagre fertility and a pH of about
            8, need rain in the summer but not too much in the autumn, require
            dappled sunlight on the soil above them, and are susceptible to
            extremes of heat, cold or moisture. All this may or may not be
            precisely true........"

            and

            "....you don't look for truffles randomly in a truffle ground, but in
            a brûlé. These round, oblong or oval burns occur under the trees
            where the truffle, by exuding a kind of natural herbicide, gradually
            kills all the vegetation except in places for the moss, the only
            green thing..... Brûlés are quite distinctive and begin as small
            as a few feet in diameter but may spread in a wide circle dozens of
            feet across. The burn expands or contracts, even disappears, with
            the mycelium underneath. However large, to the truffler they are a
            cause for excitement as they show that the truffle's filament-like
            mycelium, which up to now has been living on the tree's roots (for up
            to eight years), has now spread preparatory to fruiting......."

            This is from a book called 'You can't see Paris from here' by Michael
            Sanders (Bantam Book, 2004), an American who lived in France in Lot
            for a year studying the way of life in a village with a particularly
            good restaurant.

            Truffles are so expensive that literally millions and millions have
            been spent, over four or five decades, on trying to discover how to
            grow them: scientists, politicians, farmers, governments, crooks,
            restauranteurs, amateurs, wannabes, the whole bang shoot. If they
            had been able to do it, they could have revived the economies of
            whole regions with poor soil where (for instance) phylloxera had
            wiped out the only other saleable crop (wine). The harvest of black
            truffles has diminished from an annual total of thousands of tons
            around 1900 to a mere few basketfuls from each town today.

            If you can grow truffles in your cellar you will be a very very very
            very very very rich man. Good luck.

            Griselda

            On 16 Jun 2009, at 18:20, pazogie wrote:

            > Thanks, fellas.
            >
            > I see that science has not been able to cope up with truffles.
            >
            > Then I will just have to make my own research how I may be
            > able to grow them in my cold and damp basement.
            >
            > In the meantime, it is the grocery store for me.
            >
            > Thanks again fellas,
            >
            > Paz
            >
            > ________________________________

            The news isn't that fruits and vegetables are good for you ~ it's
            that they are so good for you they could save your life.
            By David Bjerklie, TIME Magazine, October 20,
            2003
            Juice PLUS+ Capsules contain 17 fruits, vegetables, oats and grains.
            The ingredients are apples, cranberries, dates, oranges, papaya,
            peaches, pineapples, beets, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, kale,
            tomatoes, parsley, garlic, spinach, rice bran (no gluten), and oats
            (no gluten).
            and ~ NEW - Juice PLUS+ Vineyard Blend adds Blueberries, Cranberries,
            Concorde Grape, Blackberries, Bilberries, Grape Seed, Raspberry,
            Elderberries, Red Currants, and Black Currants.
            Check it out www.takejuiceplus.co.uk

          • gmpm1
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 18, 2009
              Try these folks:

              http://www.garlandtruffles.com/

              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 18, 2009
                SO I HEARD IT IS BIG BUCKS! IT SHOULD SPUR AN
                UNUSUAL CURIOSITY FROM EVERYONE

                Hello Griselda,

                Thank you for the valuable info.even as it is discouraging for one
                thing, we don't have winter in RP.

                However, we have cold places inour wooded mountains where the
                trees may be inoculated with thespores of it. Perhaps we have local
                varieties, such as the ones grownin China.

                If it is truly worth as much as you say then it should be worth my while
                during my retirement years to experiment on. ONLY if I can get the
                spores. They havespores, don't they?

                Anyone who can get them can start a viable business. I sent Dave's
                Gardenfor info. Dave has not replied yet.

                Thank you all for your help,

                Sincerely,

                Paz

                ________________________________
                "The black truffle known as melanosporum is a winter mushroom which
                grows underground (a kind of tuber) in symbiosis with the roots of
                certain kinds of trees. Little truffles are born in May, grow most
                rapidly during August, and begin to ripen in November after a good
                frost, with the last appearing in March. They grow best in chalky
                well-drained soil of moderate to meagre fertility and a pH of about
                8, need rain in the summer but not too much in the autumn, require
                dappled sunlight on the soil above them, and are susceptible to
                extremes of heat, cold or moisture. All this may or may not be
                precisely true........ "

                and

                "....you don't look for truffles randomly in a truffle ground, but in
                abrûlé. These round, oblong or oval burns occur under the trees
                where the truffle, by exuding

                kind of natural herbicide, ---> ALLELOPATHY

                THE KEY TO FINDING THEM IS TO LOOK FOR THESE brûlé.

                gradually
                kills all the vegetation except in places for the moss, the only
                green thing..... Brûlés are quite distinctive and begin as small
                as a few feet in diameter but may spread in a wide circle dozens of
                feet across. The burn expands or contracts, even disappears, with
                the mycelium underneath. However large, to the truffler they are a
                cause for excitement as they show that the truffle's filament-like
                mycelium, which up to now has been living on the tree's roots

                (for up to eight years), has now spread preparatory to fruiting.... ..."

                This is from a book called 'You can't see Paris from here' by
                Michael Sanders (Bantam Book, 2004), an American who

                lived inFrance in Lot for a year studying the way of life in a village

                with a particularly good restaurant.

                Truffles are so expensive that literally millions and

                millions have been spent, over four or five decades, on

                trying to discover how to grow them: scientists, politicians, farmers, governments, crooks,
                restauranteurs, amateurs, wannabes, the whole bang shoot. If they
                had been able to do it, they could have revived the economies of
                whole regions with poor soil where (for instance) phylloxera had
                wiped out the only other saleable crop (wine). The harvest of
                black truffles has diminished from an annual total of thousands of tons around 1900 to a mere few basketfuls

                from each town today.

                If you can grow truffles in your cellar you will be a very very very
                very very very rich man. Good luck.

                Griselda

                On 16 Jun 2009, at 18:20, pazogie wrote:

                > Thanks, fellas.
                >
                > I see that science has not been able to cope up with truffles.
                >
                > Then I will just have to make my own research how I may be
                > able to grow them in my cold and damp basement.
                >
                > In the meantime, it is the grocery store for me.
                >
                > Thanks again fellas,
                >
                > Paz
                >
                > ____________ _________ _________ __

                It's easy to get all the latest local news when it's Purple. Go Now!
                http://ph.news.yahoo.com/

              • Peter Ellis
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 18, 2009
                  I live in an area, Istria, renowned for its truffles. The biggest one in
                  the Guinness Book of Records came from here. Most are unearthed by
                  people with specially trained dogs in the oak forest in the Myrna
                  Valley, near where I live.

                  However, last night I was at a barbeque and was intrigued by a
                  plantation of 150 hazelnut bushes in the garden. It seems the owner's
                  sister had planted them and had had them innoculated with a white
                  truffle with a view to growing them commercially. They seemed to think
                  it could take 5 years before much would be happening. I'd not come
                  across anyone trying that here before.

                  I'll follow it with interest !

                  Cheers

                  Peter
                • Griselda Mussett
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 18, 2009
                    There are apparently many kinds of truffle, though none reaches the
                    black truffle's heights for aroma, taste and desirability. There is
                    the Brumale which is not so flavoursome and cannot be conserved, and
                    the Estivale (or summer truffle) which does offer more competition to
                    its wintry cousin.

                    Large areas were planted with innoculated hazel saplings, as hazel
                    was pronounced by scientists to produce the truffles in only 4 years
                    v the oaks' 10 years. This may also have had something to do with
                    the height the saplings achieved. However subsequently the hazel was
                    easily contaminated with Brumale truffles which turned a costly
                    investment worthless overnight.

                    Some have ascribed these and other difficulties to the use of
                    tractors compacting the land, or cultivators destroying what may have
                    been a 'cordon sanitaire' - a natural biological barrier keeping
                    competing truffles out. Others blame intensive yield-driven
                    agriculture - truffle sizes and harvests starting shrinking at the
                    time tractors were introduced, but it may have been because the
                    tractors had to be paid for, and time became too valuable for careful
                    attention to the plantations - old lore suggested the trees need to
                    have their branches carefully pruned by hand in a certain way, or
                    maybe to have seedlings around them removed, or to have the brush and
                    undergrowth removed very carefully by hand.....

                    Fascinating stuff.

                    Griselda

                    On 18 Jun 2009, at 13:46, Peter Ellis wrote:

                    > I live in an area, Istria, renowned for its truffles. The biggest
                    > one in
                    > the Guinness Book of Records came from here. Most are unearthed by
                    > people with specially trained dogs in the oak forest in the Myrna
                    > Valley, near where I live.
                    >
                    > However, last night I was at a barbeque and was intrigued by a
                    > plantation of 150 hazelnut bushes in the garden. It seems the owner's
                    > sister had planted them and had had them innoculated with a white
                    > truffle with a view to growing them commercially. They seemed to think
                    > it could take 5 years before much would be happening. I'd not come
                    > across anyone trying that here before.
                    >
                    > I'll follow it with interest !
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    >
                    > Peter

                    The news isn't that fruits and vegetables are good for you ~ it's
                    that they are so good for you they could save your life.
                    By David Bjerklie, TIME Magazine, October 20,
                    2003
                    Juice PLUS+ Capsules contain 17 fruits, vegetables, oats and grains.
                    The ingredients are apples, cranberries, dates, oranges, papaya,
                    peaches, pineapples, beets, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, kale,
                    tomatoes, parsley, garlic, spinach, rice bran (no gluten), and oats
                    (no gluten).
                    and ~ NEW - Juice PLUS+ Vineyard Blend adds Blueberries, Cranberries,
                    Concorde Grape, Blackberries, Bilberries, Grape Seed, Raspberry,
                    Elderberries, Red Currants, and Black Currants.
                    Check it out www.takejuiceplus.co.uk

                  • fran k
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 18, 2009
                      Well, I really love blackberries, and blackberry pie, yum yum, much more than a truffle, (though sometimes I can be seen going into my special truffle room, where a little fat wadge sits on his own special golden plinth where I bow down in obesiance and pour out my troubles to him and worship him)

                      but back to blackberries, well here they grow so thickly and invasively, that here in the UK we are batting them out of the way with our cricket bats, and they are so abundant and common, that its not until recently that people have thought of selling them in the shops (or maybe is just me noticing that they are actually selling them).

                      Why I am writing is that if everybody grew truffles and they became very common, then theyre price would come down (along with the esteem, and I wouldnt think so highly of him, and would have to throw my fat wadge out), and if they became so abundant that we could pick them anywhere, and no-one could control theyre availability, then the price would be zero. Just like the air or the grass, or the blackberries.

                      And the point I so eloquently! want to make is that this is the mechanism of why people in the world are socially excluded, and why people die of land exclusion, food exclusion, warmth exclusion, shelter exclusion, it is starvation - a- money - exchange - scarcity - scarcity - relationship, you just cant make money out of free abundance, and you just cant keep scarce things which are readily available in order to make money. There is plenty of land to get basic essentials from but thats bought and sold, and kept scarce on purpose, so that we (the world) cant eat the land, the products of our land. because its kept on purpose in short supply. So we, a lot of us (in the world) starve, and we also create this daft reliance on worshipful scarcity (of basic needs, Im talking about, because who cares about other stuff like cars, phones etc). We all suffer from the consequences of it, as currently the cred crunch, is only a bad thing a worrying thing if it affects basic essentials.

                      Where I live wineberries do not seem to be invasive. I wish they were, as they make good pies too. But they grow well where i live. I know a place lower down at sea level, where they are really fertile, but again they are no problem, and people in that garden love them.

                      this group is so really good, thanks for all the info that keeps coming in, its rich!

                      xfrank.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 18, 2009
                        Dear Peter,

                        It is the white truffles that cost more. I already sent to our egroup the email where I became interested about truffles.

                        Thank you Peter for sharing the information. I read again your email and apparently I mistook the barbeque host's sister as your sister. Sorry.

                        Maybe you can do me the favor of asking her if she would be interested in an experimental farm in the Philippines. Who knows the darn truffles may just thrive pretty well in our region.

                        Thanks again.

                        Paz

                        ________________________________
                        I live in an area, Istria, renowned for its truffles. The biggest one in
                        the Guinness Book of Records came from here. Most are unearthed by
                        people with specially trained dogs in the oak forest in the Myrna
                        Valley, near where I live.

                        However, last night I was at a barbeque and was intrigued by a
                        plantation of 150 hazelnut bushes in the garden. It seems the owner's
                        sister had planted them and had had them innoculated with a white
                        truffle with a view to growing them commercially. They seemed to think
                        it could take 5 years before much would be happening. I'd not come
                        across anyone trying that here before.

                        I'll follow it with interest !

                        Cheers

                        Peter

                        Enjoy more chat on blogs and websites. Experience it with the Online Pingbox Creation Wizard. http://ph.messenger.yahoo.com/pingbox/

                      • pazogie
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 18, 2009
                          The quest for gold has never been easy.

                          Would it be too much of a bother to send me the
                          the names of the company or people who made
                          these unsuccessful attempts? We might be able
                          to arrange a partnership with them for a farm in a
                          suitable place in my Samar province, Philippines.

                          Paz

                          ________________________________
> [...]

                          > across anyone trying that here before.
                          >
                          > I'll follow it with interest !
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          >
                          > Peter

                          The news isn't that fruits and vegetables are good for you ~ it's
                          that they are so good for you they could save your life.
                          By David Bjerklie, TIME Magazine, October 20,
                          2003
                          Juice PLUS+ Capsules contain 17 fruits, vegetables, oats and grains.
                          The ingredients are apples, cranberries, dates, oranges, papaya,
                          peaches, pineapples, beets, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, kale,
                          tomatoes, parsley, garlic, spinach, rice bran (no gluten), and oats
                          (no gluten).
                          and ~ NEW - Juice PLUS+ Vineyard Blend adds Blueberries, Cranberries,
                          Concorde Grape, Blackberries, Bilberries, Grape Seed, Raspberry,
                          Elderberries, Red Currants, and Black Currants.

                          Design your own exclusive Pingbox today! It's easy to create your personal chat space on your blogs. http://ph.messenger.yahoo.com/pingbox

                        • pazogie
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 18, 2009
                            Hello Frank,

                            Send me some samples of what you produce. We may be able to
                            market them here for you.

                            You are so right in your litany of market-scarcity-price grunts and
                            groans. You have my sympathy. The world needs to learn how to
                            equitably. This is the real problem of why there exists poverty and
                            the poor sprouts almost everywhere. The resources are purposely,
                            carefully and diligently made scarce so only the moneyed can profit
                            from their existence.

                            However hard times have been and still are, our poor people here
                            in RP, including me, can still manage to smile with grace.

                            Cheers!

                            Paz

                            ________________________________

                            I live in an area, Istria, renowned for its truffles. The biggest one in
                            the Guinness Book of Records came from here. Most are unearthed by
                            people with specially trained dogs in the oak forest in the Myrna
                            Valley, near where I live.

                            However, last night I was at a barbeque and was intrigued by a
                            plantation of 150 hazelnut bushes in the garden. It seems the owner's
                            sister had planted them and had had them innoculated with a white
                            truffle with a view to growing them commercially. They seemed to think
                            it could take 5 years before much would be happening. I'd not come
                            across anyone trying that here before.

                            I'll follow it with interest !

                            Cheers

                            Peter

                            How can I tell if my jewelry is real silver? Find Out on Yahoo! Answers. http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/

                          • Peter Ellis
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 18, 2009
                              The message <294295F4-DF63-49FC-9CD4-52045ABE942F@...>
                              from Griselda Mussett <griselda1@...> contains these words:

                              > Large areas were planted with innoculated hazel saplings, as hazel
                              > was pronounced by scientists to produce the truffles in only 4 years
                              > v the oaks' 10 years. This may also have had something to do with
                              > the height the saplings achieved. However subsequently the hazel was
                              > easily contaminated with Brumale truffles which turned a costly
                              > investment worthless overnight.

                              > Some have ascribed these and other difficulties to the use of
                              > tractors compacting the land, or cultivators destroying what may have
                              > been a 'cordon sanitaire' - a natural biological barrier keeping
                              > competing truffles out. Others blame intensive yield-driven
                              > agriculture - truffle sizes and harvests starting shrinking at the
                              > time tractors were introduced, but it may have been because the
                              > tractors had to be paid for, and time became too valuable for careful
                              > attention to the plantations - old lore suggested the trees need to
                              > have their branches carefully pruned by hand in a certain way, or
                              > maybe to have seedlings around them removed, or to have the brush and
                              > undergrowth removed very carefully by hand.....

                              > Fascinating stuff.

                              Indeed! The main source of black truffles here is thick wild oak
                              forest, not cultivated at all, down on the valley bottom. Until last
                              night, I knew nothing about the hazel for the white truffles. I gather
                              that these particular hazels that Vlado's sister has planted remain
                              pretty much as bushes and the nuts will be too small for normal eating.

                              Cheers

                              Peter
                            • R. Dale Asberry
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 19, 2009
                                For more on mushrooms, I recommend watching http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/paul_stamets_on_6_ways_mushrooms_can_save_the_world.html Good stuff. Stamets has also recently published Mycelium Running which everyone on PFAF should get and read. Mycelia play a fundamental role in soil health. As for how to grow, Stamets has also published "Tek" in his Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms (http://www.amazon.com/Growing-Gourmet-Medicinal-Mushrooms-Stamets/dp/1580081754/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245416573&sr=8-1)

                                --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, pazogie <pazogie2003@...> wrote:

                                > Thanks for the info, Mr. RyBorg.
                                >
                                > I have a friend in Italy that I requested to look for truffle spores
                                > and info on how best to go about planting them.
                                >
                                > In Samar we still have lots of trees in our forests. If I can't grow
                                > the truffles in my basement, I will plant them in the forest.
                                >
                                > Thanks again, kind sir.
                                >
                                > Paz
                              • Rob Heck
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 19, 2009
                                  Funny I was just reading Mycelium Running last night. What an awesome
                                  book with so many interesting possible uses for fungi!

                                  On pg. 27 Stamets writes he is skeptical of the companies here in
                                  North America selling truffle inoculated trees, explaining that here
                                  have been very little confirmed successes and none that are
                                  commercially viable. It's not known why the truffle orchards of Europe
                                  cannot be replicated, but Stamets believes it is because the widely
                                  common native mycorrhizae quickly out competes the foreign truffles. I
                                  guess this is why Chanterelles and Morels are hard to cultivate as
                                  well but maybe it's different in the Philippines, who knows.

                                  Anyways in the book Stamets does have some good insight for trying to
                                  grow mycrorrhizal mushrooms on page 22 - 30 if you are interested:

                                  http://books.google.com/books?id=NPI8_-omzvsC&lpg=PP1&dq=mycellium%20running&pg=PA22

                                  Take care,

                                  Rob

                                  http://re.flexiv.net
                                  http://wcpermaculture.org

                                  On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 9:04 AM, R. Dale Asberry<bozomind@...> wrote:

                                  > For more on mushrooms, I recommend watching
                                  > http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/paul_stamets_on_6_ways_mushrooms_can_save_the_world.html
                                  > Good stuff. Stamets has also recently published Mycelium Running which
                                  > everyone on PFAF should get and read. Mycelia play a fundamental role in
                                  > soil health. As for how to grow, Stamets has also published "Tek" in his
                                  > Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms
                                  > (http://www.amazon.com/Growing-Gourmet-Medicinal-Mushrooms-Stamets/dp/1580081754/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245416573&sr=8-1)
                                  >
                                  > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, pazogie <pazogie2003@...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> Thanks for the info, Mr. RyBorg.
                                  >>
                                  >> I have a friend in Italy that I requested to look for truffle spores
                                  >> and info on how best to go about planting them.
                                  >>
                                  >> In Samar we still have lots of trees in our forests. If I can't grow
                                  >> the truffles in my basement, I will plant them in the forest.
                                  >>
                                  >> Thanks again, kind sir.
                                  >>
                                  >> Paz

                                • jean.weston
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 21, 2009
                                    If you live in England you can get truffles and mushrooms at
                                    http://www.seedsofitaly.com/index.php

                                    Jean

                                    > > In Samar we still have lots of trees in our forests. If I can't grow
                                    > > the truffles in my basement, I will plant them in the forest.
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks again, kind sir.
                                    > >
                                    > > Paz

                                  • manofpeace32
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 9 9:36 AM
                                      EDIT
                                      you mentioned your courious about making money
                                      maybe you could can some of those Interesting fruits very ripe, and sell them On Ebay.
                                      they sell some stuff comercialy from foreign countries,
                                      but You can't find it every where.

                                      IF you do Email me IM a vintner, and I could share it with a wimemaking forum.

                                      GArden web maybe.
                                      under the Mushroom section, http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/crypto/
                                      I've recieved paw paw seeds from here
                                      I wonder if spores could become invasive from tranporting off your cloths anyone know?

                                    • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 9 6:11 PM
                                        Mushroom spores can travel round the World, just floating in the air. They are very small and tough. It has even been suggested that they could travel in space, between stars. Most mushroom spores need special conditions to grow. Like most living organisms, they will become invasive given the correct conditions. Fungi are part of nature's waste disposal system, mainly living on dead and decaying material. They often form beneficial relationships with plants (some plants, such as Argania spinosa, need their community of fungi to survive in their native regions). Other Fungi can have seriously unfortunate effects on living organisms.

                                        Matt

                                        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, pazogie wrote:

                                        > Hello Everyone,
                                        >
                                        > I heard that the Italians grow them.
                                        >
                                        > I was wondering if I could get some spores and
                                        > grow them here in my damp basement in my
                                        > house in Cebu City, Philippines.
                                        >
                                        > Anyone here knows how I may get my wish
                                        > fulfilled?
                                        >
                                        > Paz
                                        >

                                        > Surf faster. Internet Explorer 8 optmized for Yahoo! auto launches 2 of your favorite pages everytime you open your browser. Get IE8 here! http://downloads.yahoo.com/sg/internetexplorer/

                                        Your email settings:
                                        Individual Email | Traditional

                                        To change settings online go to:
                                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                                        To change settings via email:
                                        mailto:pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                        mailto:pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                      • Michael Porter
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 10 3:20 AM
                                          rodents eat truffles and transport the spores , for them, -