Re: [pfaf] Digest Number 224

  • Graham Burnett
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 14, 2003
      Rich- any chance you could delete these spammers??

      Ta Graham

        > Rich- any chance you could delete these spammers??
        >
        > Ta Graham

        Yes indeed, they are now banned.

        Sorry to the list about number of spams, however
        theres little I can do with out makeing it harder
        for people to join the list. What seems to happen is
        that a spammer joins the list and imediately posts
        a spam. Unless I personally check all new joined member
        there is little I can do.

        I've also banned some suspicious looking email and
        anyone_up4_abj@... and sazan862003@...
        are pending deletion unless I here that they are
        real.

        Rich
        --
        Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
        Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2003
          I moderate several yahoo groups.  i have them all set to moderate all messages from all new members.  once somebody posts a real message,so i know they aren't a spammer, then I set their membership to the same open posting privileges as everyone else.  Since i did this, I haven't had any problems with spammers, and it doesn't take much of my time.

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 15, 2003
            You could put all new members on moderated. Caat

            Graham Burnett wrote:
            > Rich- any chance you could delete these spammers??
            >
            > Ta Graham

            Yes indeed, they are now banned.

            Sorry to the list about number of spams, however
            theres little I can do with out makeing it harder
            for people to join the list. What seems to happen is
            that a spammer joins the list and imediately posts
            a spam. Unless I personally check all new joined member
            there is little I can do.

            I've also banned some suspicious looking email and
            anyone_up4_abj@... and sazan862003@...
            are pending deletion unless I here that they are
            real.

            Rich

            "Bone by bone, hair by hair, Wild Woman comes back. Through night dreams,
            through events half understood and half remembered, Wild Woman comes back."
            (26)
          • Richard Morris
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 15, 2003
              cat sweeney wrote:

              > You could put all new members on moderated. Caat

              Tis done.

              Rich

              p.s. Thanks to Graham and Robert for pointing out the
              solution to the spam problem.
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 15, 2003
                Not a problem, thank you for the PFAF website, which I use probably more than any other single plant information site on the internet.  whenever I find out about a new plant, the first place I go for information is the PFAF database.  Many of the plants in my household permaculture situation I decided on after checking the info there.  It has been particularly helpful in identifying local natives that are edible or useful.  I've taken the catalogs of various local native plant seed merchants and gone through them with the PFAF database, and thus found several useful/edibles among typical Oklahoma wild plants like wild gernaium and prairie coreopsis.

                Allow me to point out one additional loophole that I haven't figured an answer out for yet.  Spammers, mostly porno, subscribe and then upload a file to the file section, which triggers an automatic messasge to the group saying so and so has uploaded a "hot porno" document at x location in the file section.  Moderating posting doesn't seem to stop people from uploaded files.

                Robert Waldrop, okc

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 17, 2003
                  Thanks for your attention. Caat