juneberries are ripe right now

  • Chex
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2009
      I've been picking juneberries off of the plants the local cities have
      been using for landscaping plants all day today. It just so happens
      that there was a Native
      American Pow Wow on the Mississippi River in Davenport, Iowa right
      near where I was picking them (down town at the foot of a sky bridge
      that looks over the river). I let anyone at the pow wow that wanted
      to try them as they are plants favored by the natives but forgotten in
      our modern world. Everyone who tried them liked them so much that I
      had to send info on where to get them to a bunch of folks who gave me
      there contact info. I've already made arrangements to have a booth at
      next years pow wow so that I can pick juneberries in the few days
      leading up to the pow wow and then give samples and then sell live
      plants. It works out perfect that a native plant, used by the
      indiginous people, and then a pow wow to celebrate that indiginous
      culture all take place right in the two week window when the
      juneberries are ripe. Juneberries was the favorite berry to use in
      the preperation of the native american food staple pemmican. Only a
      few had ever actually tasted a juneberry.

      Anyhow, the best source in the United States that I have found for
      variety on Juneberries is St. Lawrence Nursery online at:
      http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/juneberries.html

      Chris
      Zone 5a, Illinois, USA