Poly folly tunnel!

  • Kate
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10, 2009
      Hi there all,

      I have just acquired a poly tunnel- not large, just 12 x 15 feet. I wondered if any of you might have a few words of wisdom for me? Favorite plants to grow- or not, and if you mulch; what with? Do any of you collect rainwater off them? Are there any books you would recommend?
      (I'm in Norfolk, UK by the way).

      Thanks
      Best wishes
      Kate
    • ryborgryborg268
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2009
        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Kate" <catherinejoyce1@...> wrote:

        > Hi there all,
        >
        > I have just acquired a poly tunnel- not large, just 12 x 15 feet. I wondered if any of you might have a few words of wisdom for me? Favorite plants to grow- or not, and if you mulch; what with? Do any of you collect rainwater off them? Are there any books you would recommend?
        > (I'm in Norfolk, UK by the way).
        >
        > Thanks
        > Best wishes
        > Kate

      • ryborgryborg268
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2009
          ...mmm a blank message, right...that sort ov relects my personnal veiw of polytunnels. Obviously get a greenhouse is you can afford one or have the ability to dismantel a big one even from ebay or somewhere. Martin Crawford from ART gets around the lack of roof ventilation in polytunnels by the means of a themostacically solar powered fan he has fitted to one end. He keeps out (grey) squirrels with bird netting, traps mice, forgot to ask about slugs - oh he was ok with slugs, the frogs etc get 'em. He has a auto water system drip fed. VERY together set up.

          Ideally I would get myself a twin wall polycarbonate greenhouse for early and late season growth and to be able to seal it up easily to kkep out this and that.

          To grow?: tomatoes, cucumbers, melon maybe, squash maybe but they do ok outside usually, lettace in big pots - take out as need and the rest fill out, cacti, kiwi fruit, grape vine, excellenmt plave to start off loads of stuff from nut trees to lots of veg.

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Kate" <catherinejoyce1@...> wrote:

          > Hi there all,
          >
          > I have just acquired a poly tunnel- not large, just 12 x 15 feet. I wondered if any of you might have a few words of wisdom for me? Favorite plants to grow- or not, and if you mulch; what with? Do any of you collect rainwater off them? Are there any books you would recommend?
          > (I'm in Norfolk, UK by the way).
          >
          > Thanks
          > Best wishes
          > Kate

        • Kate
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 11, 2009
            OK, thanks!
            Well I didn't think I liked polys either but I love this one; it's like being in a bubble, especially when it's raining outside. There are doors at both ends so air circulation shouldn't be a problem. I have got some of the stuff you mentioned plus different chillies, aubergines etc as well as some more exciting things to try such as yam and bitter gourd.
            Thanks for your thoughts. I would like to visit Martin Crawford's place one day.It sounds brilliant. Got a few plants from them. Trying small scale forest gardening. Need some more land....don't suppose my neighbor would notice if I started to plant up his boring old lawn.
            Best wishes
            Kate
          • Sue King
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 12, 2009
              Hi Kate,

              First of all, get Eliot Coleman's book "Four Season Harvest because now you have a polytunnel you will be able to use it for extending your growing season.

              I doubt that ventilation would be a big problem because your tunnel isn't very long. I do have a bit of a problem with mine - but it is 48'. I covered my doors (at both ends) with netting and then made 'roller blinds' from some of the left over plastic which I fixed to the inside so that I could maintain the temperature on cold and windy days. You might want to have doors at both ends too so that you can create a draught.

              I don't collect rainwater... but I plan to as soon as I can figure out a better way of doing it than the stick-on polytunnel guttering that you can buy which I have been told is not very good. But I do have 3 water butts INSIDE my tunnel. The water gets so warm, you could almost shower in it! Much kinder to the veggies. When I do get my rainwater collection 'system' going, I will feed the these butts from an outside butt.

              If you read Eliot Coleman's book, you will find that all sorts of possibilities will be open to you that you hadn't thought of before. Have fun!

              Sue

              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Kate" <catherinejoyce1@...> wrote:

              > Hi there all,
              >
              > I have just acquired a poly tunnel- not large, just 12 x 15 feet. I wondered if any of you might have a few words of wisdom for me? Favorite plants to grow- or not, and if you mulch; what with? Do any of you collect rainwater off them? Are there any books you would recommend?
              > (I'm in Norfolk, UK by the way).
              >
              > Thanks
              > Best wishes
              > Kate

            • Kate
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 14, 2009
                --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Kate" <catherinejoyce1@...> wrote:
                Sue,

                Thank you so much for all the poly-tips! I have ordered the book you recomended and am looking forward to reading it. Your tunnel sounds like the tunnel of my dreams....but in the mean time I shall enjoy the more modest one I have! Thanks for the water butt idea. Perhaps the stick-on guttering is better than no guttering? Perhaps it collects some water....or does it just unstick itself I wonder?

                Anyway,

                Best wishes
                Kate